All reviews three courses other guests mme tana supermarket
Reviewed October 27, 2012

This is a clean, comfortable and relaxing place to stay after the streets of Tana. Fanja was very helpful and really enjoys her visitors and taking care of them. Her personal touch was obvious everywhere.

Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed May 6, 2012

I stayed here for 2 weeks and can warmly recommend this place!

"La Maison du Pyla" offers you nice and clean rooms, great breakfast with fresh juices and self-made products. The house is absolutely comfortable and with the roof-top terrace everything is ready for an excellent stay!
The personnel is always helpful and you can feel like home.
Not only, that the house is cosy and well equipped, it is also very well situated. Small busses going to the city center depart on the other side of the street and the university is just 5 min away by foot!
A supermarket is near and small "epiceries" where you can by some food and drinks are situated on the streets around the house.

Check out "La Maison du Pyla" - you won't regret it!

Date of stay: May 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed December 19, 2011

I stayed at Maison du Pyla on 4 separate occasions during a 7 week trip in Madagascar. Each time I was thoroughly looked after! The rooms are clean and comfortable and despite having to share a bathroom, I never queued and I was never greeted by somebody elses mess. Tana is known to be quite unsafe at night, however MdP is very secure. Mme Fanja is a wonderful lady who can never do enough for her guests. I suffer from Coeliac's disease and there were a few vegetarians on our trip. All of us were catered for with our own versions of the evening meal and I received fresh fruit for breakfast every morning. After an intensive biolgoy course in one of the forests, myself and several others arrived at Maison du Pyla rather run down. Mme Fanja not only provided us with what we came to call her 'magic' soup, but even accompanied people to the medical center to act as a translator. On our last morning Mme Fanja ensured that we had a taxi to get us to the airport on time. We all very much enjoyed spending evenings playing cards on the roof terrace over looking Tana, often with a mug of citronelle tea! I really would recommend Maison du Pyla to anyone planning on staying in Tana :)

Date of stay: November 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank Alex C
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I have stayed here on numerous occasions and have never been disappointed. This place is a proper guest house and has far more character than most hotels. The rooms are individually decorated, and all those that I have stayed in were comfortable and clean. Some have en-suite, and others have a shared bathroom; I have stayed in both and found that even when using the shared bathroom every effort has been made to keep it clean and fresh. The welcome is warm and friendly, and Madame Fanja, the owner, speaks excellent English - very helpful if, like me, you speak little French! There is the option of having both breakfast and dinner, and I would recommend both. Breakfast consists of fresh bread, homemade jams and honey, and a selection of coffee and teas. Dinner is always three courses and includes a variety of foods; my favourites are all the Madagascan specialities, the vanilla chicken, and the homemade yogurt. If you do fancy a change of scene for dinner, Madame Fanja is happy to recommend places, and we have always enjoyed the places suggested.

The only possible disadvantage is that this is a little way out of town. You shouldn’t pay more than 5000 ariary (about £1.75) for a taxi into town however, and you are in a much nicer area near plenty of amenities, local bars, markets, and the district of Tsimbazzaza that includes an excellent restaurant, Chez Nari. Plus, I personally would much rather sit on the terrace with a cold beer watching the sun set over Antananarivo, than be in city centre itself.

Date of stay: September 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Such a lovely welcome to Madagascar - we were picked up at the airport and taken to the hotel where we were greeted warmly by Madame. The rooms were very clean, the bed enormous and comfortable, and the whole place well looked after. It was great to sit and relax on the balcony outside the room looking across the city. The food was excellent and the beer was cold! We stayed here again at the end of our trip and once again Madame was the perfect host. If I'm lucky enough to get to MG again, this is where I want to stay.

Date of stay: June 2011