“Outstanding hotel”

Al Mahary Radisson Blu Hotel, Tripoli
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Tripoli
Reviewed October 23, 2010

I could find absolutely no fault in this hotel: great location overlooking the Mediterranean, comfortable rooms, friendly service, outstanding facilities, and top-notch restaurants in a country deservedly not famous for its food or drink (no alcohol!).

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank Lmsarch
AShebetya, Revenue Manager at Al Mahary Radisson Blu Hotel, Tripoli, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2010

Dear Guest,
Greetings from Radisson Blu Hotel, Tripoli and thank you for the valued feedback!
We appreciate your input in the feedback about our property and looking forward to welcome you again.

Reviewed October 3, 2010

Having previously stayed at the overpriced Corinthia I was pleasently surprised by the service offered by the Raddison Blu. Generally good value with free internet, a reasonable gym, a relaxing spa and adequately sized rooms. Of course there is still need for Tripoli hoteliers to improve customer service but the Raddison shows that things are moving in the right direction. If you need a car and driver while you are in Tripoli I would thoroughly recommend using the hotel's service offered through Hertz. At 150LD per day (about £75) it really is great value.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank MJABATH
AShebetya, Revenue Manager at Al Mahary Radisson Blu Hotel, Tripoli, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2010

Dear Guest,
On behalf of Radisson Blu Hotel, Tripoli management team I would like to thank you for your valued feedback.
We are happy that you've enjoyed your stay in our property and we are looking forward to welcome you back.
Your valid point regarding the improvement of our customer service is really appreciated and we will do our best to develop.

Reviewed August 11, 2010

I spent two weeks at the Blu in February or 2010 on business. I was delighted with the hotel after a number of experieces with other hoels in Libya. The service was excellent and the room was outsanding. This proporty is equivallent to any US standard 4-star property on the level of a Hyatt or Intercontinental. Cmpared to the Corinthia Bab, this hotel, even though expensive, is a good value. The rooms have all the most modern conveniences and they are well maintained. The front desk staff was extremely helpfull in arranging cars and drivers and allowing us to include those costs on our hotel bill. The lobby is spacious and convenient, but not warm or comfortable. The main resturant on level two is a buffet and acceptable, but very overpriced for all but breakfast. The Italian resturant on the ground level is overpriced, the food is passable and the price is over the top for the product. The small lobby lounge is the best deal in the hotel and has excellent snacks and light meals. One downside is the entry when there are dignitaries in residence. The hotel closes down the entry drive and terefore you have to walk to the street to catch a taxi or your driver. The best way for good food is to uncover the local Turkish resturants. There is at least one good one within walking distance of the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Dallastraveler49
AShebetya, Revenue Manager at Al Mahary Radisson Blu Hotel, Tripoli, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2010

Dear Guest,
On behalf of Radisson Blu, Tripoli hptel management team I would like to thank you for the valued feedback.
We are looking forward to welcome you in our property while your next visit to Libya!
Best Wishes & Regards,

Reviewed June 21, 2010

A brand new hotel that looks good. The food quality in the restaurants is very good. Rooms are large and well appointed. The main drawback is if anything goes wrong, dont expect the staff to put it right no matter how many times you ask. Good service is almost non-existent. The plug in my bath was stuck closed. I told them at least 4 times . It was never fixed. I was reduced to forcing it out to allow dirty water to run away. I used the laundry service twice and both times received back other persons clothes that had been added to my list. Luckily they did not lose my stuff but there was no indication as to who the other stuff belonged to. On both occasions I had to ask for my laundry back. The prices in the hotel are very high. A bottle of water is 3.5 dinar. In town it is a quarter of a dinar. The waiter service is slow, you can sit outside and rarely get served without asking. Invariably the order is wrong and when the check arrives it will probably include somebody elses order. Overall a nice hotel but ruined with poorly trained staff and a management culture that gives the impresson of caring (they always say "yes no problem) but in reality dont.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank merthyrboy2
AShebetya, Revenue Manager at Al Mahary Radisson Blu Hotel, Tripoli, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2010

Dear Guest,
Greetings from Radisson Blu Hotel, Tripoli! On behalf of our management team, I would like to thank you for your valued feedback. We will definitely look into the issues that you've mentioned in your response and we will try to improve the areas that are needed to be improved.
Meanwhile, we are looking forward to welcome you in Radisson Blu Hotel, Tripoli
With Best Regards,

Reviewed June 12, 2010

Very non-honnest personnel, upon arival I was requested for 30 % more payment per room per night, than it was peviously agreed and confirmed via e-mails.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Reforma
AShebetya, Revenue Manager at Al Mahary Radisson Blu Hotel, Tripoli, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2010

Dear Guest,
On behalf of Radisson Blu Hotel, Tripoli management team I would like to thank you for your valuable feedback. Please feel free to contact me on anastasia.shebetya@radissonblu.com on the room rate matter mentioned in your comment so I can investigate and get back to you.

Reviewed June 2, 2010

Standard high-end chain. The rooms are what you would expect from a Radisson: good size, bright enough lighting in the room and bathroom, quiet rooms (with the windows closed), very clean, etc. BUT that this is in Libya says a lot about the level of management commitment to excellence. The Italian restaurant in the hotel is definitely worth trying. There are only a few points that I would suggest management consider: guest robes and more reliable internet access. Although the latter might be beyond the hotel's control. Wireless was advertised as available in the room, but it wasn't available when I was there (neither in my room, nor in my colleagues'). there was a broadband connection, but during times of heavy use (at night) it was overwhelmed and I wasn't able to access it sometimes. A final comment that says a lot about the level of service at the hotel: I lost a small gold earring--its sentimental value vastly outweighed its monetary value. I didn't notice it was missing until I left Libya. I emailed the hotel asking about it. They responded immediately saying it was in the lost and found and they would DHL it to me (for the costs of shipping). This kind of service will keep me a fan of the hotel. If you are coming to Tripoli, this should be your first choice for a hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank mackovita
AShebetya, Revenue Manager at Al Mahary Radisson Blu Hotel, Tripoli, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2010

Dear Guest,
On behalf of Radisson Blu Hotel Management Group I would like to thank you for your extremly valued feedback about our property. We will definitely look into the points for improvement that you mentioned (guest robes & internet access). Meanwhile, we are looking forward to welcome you in Radisson Blu Hotel, Tripoli again!

Reviewed March 30, 2010

I stayed at the Al Mahary Radisson Blu Hotel in Tripoli in March, on a business trip with colleagues.
The hotel is very new, and possibly only recently finished, as I note that other reviews have mentioned landscaping, pool work etc going on, but it was all finished when we stayed. The pool area looked very nice although I didn't swim. The poolside grill bar was not operating while we were there.
The hotel facilities are modern and new, although I found the restaurants very overpriced in comparison to similar quality places in town and surrounding the Medina old city area. The breakfast buffet in the Al Mina restaurant was good, although for lunch the lighter snack menu at the Oya Cafe offered much better value for money.

The rooms were comfortable, with modern furnishings. Internet was fast. The only problem that I experienced with my room was the magnetic card door keys continually not working properly. The shape of the hotel means that everyone gets a sea view from their balcony, which surprisingly has large sliding-glass doors - so you can actually get out on to the balcony - something which I appreciated.

There is a taxi stand outside the hotel, but it pays to negotiate price. You shouldn't pay more than 3-4 LD to be taken anywhere within the central city.

It is very possible to walk into town and back to the hotel again. The hotel is only a 15 minute walk from Green Square, and built overlooking the corniche. During the evening Libyans love to walk and play on the corniche, however a major frustration was that the hotel is on the wrong side of the corniche freeway, and there is no easy way to walk from the hotel down to the corniche, only metres away.

Libyans drink a LOT of good coffee, in very small amounts, and Tripoli has some great places to enjoy coffee. For the quintessential coffee experience don't pay the ridiculously expensive 4.5 LD for a coffee in the hotel. Step outside the hotel to the coffee house right next door, and you will find it full of local men enjoying coffee at only 0.5 LD instead. There is also a great and very atmospheric open air coffee house -shisha smoking venue in the middle of a building on the side of the turning circle in front of the main al-Mansuri Great Mosque, only a 10 minute walk away. There is also a Starbucks style coffee house with outside dining, free wifi, etc, in the main street of the Medina, outside the entrance to the Jamahiriya Castle Museum.

I spent a long time walking in the old covered souk of the Medina, enjoying the small shops etc. True, it is not as atmospheric as the Grand Bazaar of Istanbul, or the Khan Al Khalili in Cairo, but it is still old and labyrinthian, and what really sets it apart is the incredibly friendly and welcoming nature of the Libyan people. The western side of the Medina has a huge and bustling night market after the main souk closes, and at all times, even late at night I found the local people to be very very friendly, and appearing to want nothing in return. An area of the Medina to head towards is definitely the impressive roman ruin of the Arch of Marcus Aurelius. The Al-Athar al-fresco restaurant that overlooks the Arch is one of the best places to eat in the city.

I thoroughly enjoyed visiting Tripoli. It was much cleaner, less congested, and with a higher standard of infrastructure than I expected, given the length of time it was under international sanctions.. Architecture shows lots of roman, north African, and Italian influences. The people are wonderfully friendly. I am looking forward to returning - But the hotel is expensive, A number of other large hotels are in the process of being built. I will probably try the Sheraton Four Points next trip.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Brett M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tripoli
Corinthia Hotel Tripoli
#5 of 21 in Tripoli
Bustan Urban Retreat
Bustan Urban Retreat
#8 of 21 in Tripoli

Been to Al Mahary Radisson Blu Hotel, Tripoli? Share your experiences!