“Charming Modern Hotel”

Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Tripoli
London England
“Charming Modern Hotel”
Reviewed January 6, 2009

I recently spent 4 nights in the Thobacts. Before I arrived I was rather concerned to see it was on a major artery into Tripoli, quite close to the main Green Square. I thought I'd have to ask for a room at the back, regardless of the often dismal view that results. Pleasantly surprised at the quiet when I went into my room; I opened the curtains and looked down on the main road but all sound was totally muffled by a double skin of insulation. Almost TOO quiet, tomb-like, and impossible to open the window but preferable to the alternative. The A/C was set at the right level, quiet, unnoticeable, so I left it strictly alone - I've found from past experience that generally no-one can show you how it works and I'm non-techie.

Good points:
- the bed was reasonably soft, not the rock-hard norm for hot countries. The bedding - duvets, sheets etc - was confusing to British eyes but all immaculately clean so I worked out how to adapt it to my needs.
- plenty of surfaces for your necessaries, guide-books, camera, day-bag, water bottle, mobile phone charger etc.
- good handbasin with rail under lip for towel, overnight washing etc. Also hook for hanging toilet bag, robe etc. Good towels. Slippers.
- perfect size for single traveller (maybe a little tight for 2, though I believe there were bigger rooms).
- breakfast had good variety though I avoided most of the cooked options.
- efficient lifts. Charming and smiling staff, though rather less efficient than the lifts. Room service rapid - but the hotel was fairly empty.

Criticisms:
- writing table needs a lamp. I suspect they could provide one if asked.
- shower rather small, soap tray awkwardly placed.
- took me 2 days to get the safe opened - it had been left shut by previous guest and the only man who had the key was on his day off . Make sure its open when you arrive. Heaven knows what you'd do if you forgot your code!!
- no safety chain on the door - twice staff knocked then opened door before I could get there and found me under-dressed...

Overall I was very happy at Thobacts and would certainly return.

• Liked — Quiet but central
  • Disliked — Small shower
  • Stayed December 2008