“Lancers inn has its shortcomings, but overall is an excellent place to stay in Maseru” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lancer's Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Maseru
Lancer's Inn
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Maseru
Norwich, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2012

We stayed 3 nights in Lancers Inn. We loved our rondavel, comfortable and clean, located in a well-maintained oasis within the Lancers grounds. The maid service was very good - the laundry service was outstanding. A nice swimming pool. We had an excellent dinner in the outdoor cafe area (chicken curry) - and well as beers with friends in this friendly place. Our reservations were all in order, though I did telephone in advance to confirm. There are shortcomings: the front desk had no maps or other info about Lesotho and at times was impatient with reasonable questions. All-in-all I would much rather be in this Lesotho place than in a Holiday Inn or Casino out from town. That said, the most wonderful part of seeing Lesotho was to get out of Maseru into the countryside. Our drive to TY and seeing the marvelous tapestries being made there at Setsoto Design was a high point. Also the drive to Thaba Bosiu (with very good, but long tour to the top) was very good - most wonderful was driving on from there into the Maluti Mountains with spectacular views of the fertile valley and mountains as we made our way to Ha-Kome (with the caves). The true beauty of Lesotho was here. (I'll also do a separate review about the excellent Maliba Mountain Lodge where we are now.)

Room Tip: I personally love the rondavels - but I here that there are many other good rooms (flats and chalets...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank PeterBrink

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Guatape, Colombia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2011

We have tried to contact a few places before arriving at Lesotho. However, we didn't get any response from any hotels. Therefore, we drove around to look for one. There were very limited choices and price was towards expensive side for the quality and all. We had a hard time finding the hotel because it's behind a crowded bus stop. We had to ask a few times before finding it. After Looked at a few, Lancer was obviously the best.

It's in a good location close to many shops. There are security all day but buggers still could get into the parking lot.

Room was ok. Very basic and clean. They are putting extras and upgrading the garden I think. It has good potential to be better.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Bobui
Washington DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2011

I stayed in a room in the main building for five nights. The room was small, but the bathroom was large by comparison. It had a tub and a separate shower stall. There was a swarm of ants in the tub during my whole stay. The hotel couldn't get rid of them, although I'm not sure how hard they tried. Thankfully the ants didn't leave the tub. The furniture in the room was dated but functional. My room faced the parking lot, which was noisy at night and in the morning.

I had mixed experiences at the front desk. Some of the staff were cheerful and helpful, others were indifferent.

Dinners in the restaurant were pleasant, with relatively quick service. I had several good meals. Stay away from the desserts. They aren't worth the extra calories. Breakfast is described as a buffet, but that is a stretch. You get your choice of eggs and toast and then there are a few sad bowls of fruit and cereal to serve yourself from. It's the skimpiest excuse for a breakfast buffet that I've ever seen. I don't know why they limit themselves to doing only eggs. Why not offer french toast or waffles for some variety?

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank BamakoGirl
Pretoria, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

I stay at Lancers often for work. It’s great because it’s central and not too expensive. (Be warned if you stay there on the last Friday of the month you will witness pay day behavior with lots of partying in town and car races up the main street!) It is fine for business travel but I think I would be disappointed if I was a tourist.
Service can be slow when busy, but all in all the service and food is adequate.
Lancers is undergoing renovations at the moment so be prepared for a bit of disruption.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2011

While on a business trip to Lesotho, I stayed here and also one night at the Lesotho Sun, which I will review separately.

Lancers is in the middle of Maseru's downtown. It has a ton of rooms and chalets in gardens. It also has public bar and a restaurant.

When I arrived, the reception couldn't find my reservation. I produced emails from them (which I luckily had printed out). It turned out they had confirmed over email then not completed the reservation in their system.

Initially, I was given a room in the gardens. I went to look at it and it was very run down and small - cheap white chipboard cupboard for clothes, small saggy bed, you get the picture. I went to the receptionist and explained this wouldn't do.
At this point, my local friends turned up and the hotel agreed to put me in a nicer room that they were currently fixing.

I left for work and returned to check-in to the second room. The second room was very nice. It had recently been refurbished, I think. There was nicer furniture, everything new, and it had french windows opening onto a veranda that overlooked the pool and gardens....very nice.

I guess, never having been to Lesotho before, I presumed that if I needed mosquito nets they would provide them.... there were no nets. I woke up in the morning having been bitten many times and spent the second night in that room killing mosquitos....

The restaurant attached to the hotel was quite good, wide selection, but the prices were quite expensive for Lesotho....

In general, the staff at the hotel are obliging when faced with a direct request or instruction, but I found they really didn't have the sense of trying to be proactive in looking after me....on reflection though that may be unfair. When told to address something or asked to do something, the staff generally smiled and took care of my request.

If you want to be in the center of town, Lancers is probably a good place to stay, and I would recommend it (the choices are sparse) but you should make sure they give you a refurbished room and you should close your windows and bring mosquito repellant.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Markie_Mark115
Cambridge UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2011

For my third annual trip to Lesotho I abandoned the now grotesquely expensive small rooms at the Lesotho Sun and opted for Lancers Inn instead - an excellent decision. I went for one of the self-catering chalets in a quiet corner of the garden, which nonetheless entitles you to the excellent if slightly limited breakfast in the restaurant - which starts promptly at 7 a.m., useful for those of us who need to get on with the day early. The chalet was ideal for work, as it has a separate large sitting room with table as well as the big bedroom with en-suite bathroom (slightly delapidated, but excellent water flow in the shower), and a small kitchen with fridge-freezer, microwave and hob. So when I didn't fancy dinner in the excellent Rendezvous Restaurant because of having had a big lunch, I was able to cater for myself - two supermarkets (one in the smart new Pioneer Mall) and three bottle stores within easy reach.

It's not a characterless luxury hotel - no room service, for instance - and the staff at Reception had clearly not been to hotel charm school (in contrast to the restaurant staff who were friendly and helpful) but my stay was on the whole comfortable and pleasant. Good WiFi throughout, charged by capacity, not time - 1GB lasted me the whole ten days of moderate surfing, not just e-mail. I imagine the rooms facing the car park might be a bit noisy, but everywhere in the interior was very quiet despite the hotel being conveniently situated right in the centre of town. Two minor black marks for shortcomings, however: they were unable to provide non-allergenic pillows, and a couple of requests for printing from a memory stick were met with a brief 'no'. Booking by phone or e-mail can be a bit of a challenge as you have to catch the lady who does the reservations while she's on the premises, and the Lesotho phone system is so noisy it stops an international fax in its tracks. But despite all this without doubt the best place to stay in Maseru. ... And is it Lancers, Lancers' or Lancer's? I've seen all three!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Travelling_Inspector
Gex, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2011

I stayed at Lancer's Inn during a business trip. The location is great, close to city center, internet café nearby and shopping area, which was great! The rooms are clean and nicely furnished, there's no room service. The reception area could be improved to make it "people friendly". The food is okay. If you''re on a long stay, you'll get bored though; the menu doesn't change much. Try by all means to avoid room no. 10 (if I'm not mistaken), which is at the very end of the garden. The staff needs some training, some where friendly though but I had to call over three times before I finally got a plumber to fix my overflowing shower!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maseru
AVANI Lesotho Hotel & Casino
#1 of 28 in Maseru
Scenery Guest House
Scenery Guest House
#2 of 28 in Maseru

Been to Lancer's Inn? Share your experiences!