“Pleasant Business Stay”

AVANI Lesotho Hotel & Casino
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Maseru
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I recently had to overnight in Maseru while on business and we decided to stay at the Lesotho Sun - a place I had last stayed at 10 years ago. I must admit I was quite impressed with the hotel as it has been freshened up quite bit whislt still keeping its basic structure. They really do try hard and I think it is payng off. It certainly seemed to be a lot busier than it was when I wa slast there. The rooms are greatly improved and all seem to have had a facelift. While it probably doesn't compare with the most upmarket hotels in the region it is clean and comfortable and offers the business traveller most of what they need. They do have a few issues which they should address and I have tried to touch on these below - but it did not detract form the stay which overall was very good. The rooms are well appointed but then are spoilt by the quality of the fittinings in the bathrooms (they have cheap and nasty shower heads so water sprays all over the show when showering). The bar service was also terrible in the downstairs bar - which also serves the Casino (which is probably why it s slow). They do offer wifi but you have to buy a voucher but the minimum value of voucher was M180 for 500 mb. When you just want to check a few emails this seems ludicrous. My suggestion would be to add about M10 to each room and then give free wifi - or soemthing like that. The gym was very well equpped - one of the ebest around but some of the equipment needs a service. I ate at the buffett and the food was outstanding value for money - it was delicious and cheap (when last did anyone pay M150 for a buffett?). The breakfast, as has become a norm for this group was excellent. Overall one or two tweaks and this could be a fantastic hotel again.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a woderful view of the city
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for AVANI Lesotho Hotel & Casino

Reviewed August 4, 2013

No doubt this is the nicest hotel in town. Beautiful property and nicely appointed rooms. However, having previously stayed in several Sun International hotels, they definitely need to straighten up their act, service wise.

Pros: Modern amenities, nice comfortable room, hot water and heating. Doorman was helpful.

Cons:
- Airport transfer was costly and service was every inefficient, you need to go search for the driver upon arrival, load your own luggage in the trunk and the driver demanded payment upon arrival.

-Not too helpful check- in; the staff was very busy chit-chatting among themselves and lack of enthusiasm answering questions about the amenities/service of the hotel. Some requests were ignored.

- A hint of smoking odor in our bathroom even it was on the non-smoking floor.

- Restrictive dining hours; restaurants open at 6:30pm for dinner, was told that we could not order room service beforehand.

- Breakfast spread was acceptable. Lots of restaurant staff standing around but not doing anything.

- Fee for Wi-Fi

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed in the presidential suite at this hotel for one night when I was in Lesotho for business. As I arrived I was not impressed at all by the door man and porter who merely looked at us and did not assist us with opening door and carrying our luggage. We were 2 ladies and were carrying quite a number of things with us. After checking in, we settled in, in the beautiful room prepared for us. I was quiet puzzled by the hotel staff who were entering the suite willy-nilly fixing or bringing things without knocking. We were also unimpressed by the fact that the wi-fi was not free and when we got the voucher, you could only use it for one device at a time. So, I couldn't access my phone and iPad at the same time.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ProudlyNA
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I've been coming to Lesotho for 6 years & Staying at this hotel which is considered the bestbhotl in town. The hotel is very comfortable, great rooms, friendly staff plenty of hot water, & good heating in the winter. However, the food leaves much to be desired and the service is non existent. When a request is made, one needs to follow up several times to get service. Once the responsible person has made a phone call, they think their duty is done. There is no follow-up. I requested a chair for my room and after one hour it took a return trip to to front desk to ask again. My husband calls me skype to land, but often the front desk does not answer the phone. we now skype to cell. These issues are indicative, but not unusual. Technically I am in a nonsmoking room. However, clients in the rooms around me smoke and nothing is done to deter the other clients from smoking in the non-smoking areas. The ventilation system allows my room to be filled with cigarette smoke. It is very off-putting. Needless to say that with better training, this really could bee a 4 star hotel.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank beilene1
Reviewed June 10, 2013

The Lesotho Sun Hotel offers good, clean, and comfortable accommodation in Maseru. The staff are friendly and efficient. BUT the most impressive feature of the hotel is its restaurant which serves THE BEST lamb chops I have eaten to date. Absolutely divine!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Melissa A
Reviewed May 20, 2013

The staff is great. The dinner gets boring after a few days but the breakfast buffet is lovely. The bed is comfortable, the casino is amusing and the view of the valley is second to none. The resident manager is VERY involved with all activities.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Laura C
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I've only stayed at this hotel in Maseru, but it seemed like the best choice of the lot. You get really nice views since you're tucked away on a mountain and the chinese restaurant downstairs is pretty good.

The internet is annoying though because you have to keep buying data packages and they are often sold out when you need to recharge.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Jason L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maseru
AVANI Maseru Hotel
#2 of 10 in Maseru
Botleng Guest House
Botleng Guest House
#1 of 27 in Maseru

Been to AVANI Lesotho Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!