“unresponsive staff”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Maseru
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“unresponsive staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is the best hotel in Mesuru--in fact one of the only two both owned by Sun hotels. This is the flagship hotel. Most of the front office staff is unresponsive. Some are good though. May be they lack understanding of simple things like getting a bottle of water, or coffee. A simple request for a change of rooms is not understood. The food is expensive, but there is no other option close by. Some more training of the staff, especially in attitude change, could do wonders.

Room Tip: As for a higher floor room facing the pool.
2 Thank tej p
Mazi40, Resident Manager at AVANI Lesotho Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

Firstly i would like to start by acknowledging the positive comments about the hotel, this is much appreciated.

We are very grateful for all the feedback that we receive because that way , we are reminded of the issues requiring our immediate attention in order to improve. I apologize that we were not able to meet your expectations this time and look forward to you coming back to stay with us, assuring you that we will go through the necessary attention to detail so that you enjoy a much better experience.

Lesotho Sun Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Thai first
Windhoek
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

A mixed bag, is how I would describe this experience. The reception staff were friendly; checking in much more efficient than checking out though. Internet time is expensive and I can't believe hotels still charge! The rooms were comfortable, clean and well appointed. The service in the restaurants leave much to be desired though. The food was palatable enough, but not so good that I would recommend it freely.

3 Thank PiereClarke
Mazi40, Resident Manager at AVANI Lesotho Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give your most valued feedback.
I was very pleased to note that you found our reception staff friendly, your comments were shared with them at it has made for a further positive improvement in their courtesy and friendliness towards all guests visiting our hotel.

I have also noted your comments with regards to the internet charges and happy to inform you that, we are currently in negotiations with the service provider for better rates. I am optimistic that the outcome will be a positive one which will allow us to give more value to our guests.

We are continuously evaluating our food offerings to ensure that we meet and exceed guests’ needs. Please accept my sincere apologies on the dis-satisfactory service at our restaurant.

I hope to see you at Lesotho Sun Hotel in the near future.

Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

It is hard to know where to start this review because there are some very nice staff who try to help as much as possible. But, as everyone else comments, the internet is ghastly expensive and not always reliable. Frustrating when you are trying to communicate through SKYPE and the connection fails right in the middle of a sentence. This hotel is definitely in need of a update. The towels in my room are beginning to come apart around the edges. The shower head leaks, dribbles and is nearly impossible to manage. I switched to taking a bath and have no complaints there. It is worn out but on the plus side the security appears to be good and the Chinese Restaurant and the buffet offer tasty dishes. The salad bar at the buffet impressed me with a nice array of fresh vegetables, gourmet cheeses and cold cuts. I was looking forward to a cappuccino but the machine was broken another disappointment because I simply can't drink the powered coffee and the brewed coffee is watery.

Watched the sun set on the terrace which was beautiful beyond description. The landscape in Lesotho is gorgeous. Mountains, deep gorges, high mesas ......lovely to behold. So come to Lesotho to see the country but don't expect much when it comes to accommodations at the Lesotho Sun.

Room Tip: My room looks out over the pool and has been quiet. Fifth floor.
2 Thank AllSeven

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback.
I am happy that you had the opportunity to enjoy the sun set and the landscape whilst staying at with us. This is exactly why Lesotho Sun is referred to as "The Kingdom in the Sky"

I must show my appreciation for the wonderful comments about the Ying Tao restaurant and also the security guards, it is very much appreciated.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues that caused for your dissatisfaction. I assure you that since you your feedback, action plans for improvement have been discussed with the team and implemented accordingly.

I am looking forward to seeing you at Lesotho Sun Hotel “The Kingdom in the Sky” in the near future.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

We actually lived in Lesotho for many years , many years ago. It was a great hotel.
When we returned 2 years ago, they still had the huge Macrame Light shades in the Restaurant. I made a point of not sitting under them as I dread to think what was living in them.
Last year they had removed them, but there was no heating in the Hotel, at Breakfast, the Staff were shivering in their coats and gloves and we were freezing in ours.
This years visit, bought no change.
Of course they had our booking but the room was not ready again.
They could get a twin one available.
Interenet horrendous prices.
No one picks up the phone at Reception.
Room Service takes 90 mins and then the order is incorrect and they are surprised you will not accept it.
Try and get a bottle of water at 6 a.m... Room Service do no have any. The Bar is shut!
i could go on but no point as it just makes us sad to see everything going down hill and it is not the staffs fault it is the hotel owners who accountable.

The Maseru Cabanas has not changed much either, and well done to the folk working at these hotels as there is not a lot to motivate them/

Room Tip: You do not get a choice!
1 Thank Pingpong10

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback.

At the outset i must apologize for the bad experience and once again thank you for the constructive feedback. The Lesotho Sun operations team has discussed each point individually and action plans have been devised and implemented in order to rectify the cause for issues that led to your dissatisfaction.

Please accept our sincere apologies and we hope to see you again at Lesoth Sun Hotel.
The team assures you a much better experience for your next visit.

Resident Manager

Travelers are raving about these Maseru hotels

Lilongwe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stayed there for 2 weeks. The staff at the reception was nice and responsive. I requested to change my room due to the noise from the bar (in the weekend evening). They gave me a room with great view and very quiet. I appreciated it very much. However, they seem to be very busy, I called them from the room for three times, only the last time was answered. There is no baggage stand in the room, I had to put it on the floor. The TV channels were very limited, the wireless internet was expensive. The bath room was very clean. However, the carpet in the room seemed not been vacumed frequently. The gym was relatively good compare to some hotels in Africa, despite that some of the equipment was not in good shape. The aerobic class in the evening was very good, it really made me sweat. The SPA was also good. Unfortunately, it does not open on Sunday.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors and away from bar and casino
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SweetAfrica

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback.

On behalf of Lesotho Sun Hotel staff and management, I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectation. We pride ourselves in using all kinds of feedback for the betterment of our business.

Thank you very much for the positive comments of staff friendliness and the courteous manner in which they dealt with your request for a room with a better view.

I hope to see you again at Lesotho Sun Hotel in the near future.

Cape Town, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

Have stayed in the Lesotho Sun now for the past two years. Last month over 4 trips every room tried had broken showers, tv channels untuned and single beds, just like a 2-3 star hotel for R1600! Horrendously expensive internet aswell which is quite slow. In the buffet restaurant the meat is cremated choice is potluck with the service shockingly slow. On complaining at reception, only one trainee manager is available if you can get her attention from the indifferent reception staff and GM is never in the hotel. Sun International shame on you for charging such high prices for such poor service. But there is no one to talk to or nowhere else to stay so they have a captive market.

Now hiring a house and house keeper in Maseru just so much cheaper. Other companies moving to Ladybrand for guesthouse accommodation.

SUN INTERNATIONAL the solution is easy - Either jack up or change the Manager and Maintenance contracts

Room Tip: Make sure the showers work before unpacking On Sundays city side is very noisy with African music
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback.

On behalf of Lesotho Sun Hotel staff and management, I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations. The issues you have raised have been noted and will be dealt with accordingly. I hope we can be afforded the opportunity to redeem ourselves in the near future.

Rose Hill, Plaines Wilhems, Mauritius
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed there 2 times in the same week, and the experience has been mixed. The staff is definelty good and helpful. I left my suit in the room at checkout the first time, and did not even realize. When chekcing in again, the gave it back to me! I was also pleasently surprised by the quality of the internet connection, although the signal sometimes drop for no reason. The beds are comfortable, and so are the pillows.

Meanwhile, the sound insulation is not very good, and you can hear (from your closed room) people talking in the corridor, water in the pipes, sound from the party on Friday night. I also found the room service slow, and they take half a day (the next day) to take the trays away outside of the room. I would have expected a minibar for a hotel of this standard. A chair would be better at the table, rather than the ottoman.

Room Tip: Room on the same facade of the entrance are noisy, and room on the end of wings have low WiFi signal...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tariiq D

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback.

On behalf of Lesotho Sun Hotel staff and management, I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations on certain facilities and services. We always aim exceeding the guest's needs and I assure that we will continue to make it a point of focus that, our reception staff explain all services available and those that available upon request. Please feel free to request for a mini the next time you visit Lesotho Sun Hotel.

Thank you very much for the positive comments of staff friendliness.

I hope to see you again at Lesotho Sun Hotel in the near future.