“As bad/sad as ever”

AVANI Lesotho Hotel & Casino
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Maseru
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We actually lived in Lesotho for many years , many years ago. It was a great hotel.
When we returned 2 years ago, they still had the huge Macrame Light shades in the Restaurant. I made a point of not sitting under them as I dread to think what was living in them.
Last year they had removed them, but there was no heating in the Hotel, at Breakfast, the Staff were shivering in their coats and gloves and we were freezing in ours.
This years visit, bought no change.
Of course they had our booking but the room was not ready again.
They could get a twin one available.
Interenet horrendous prices.
No one picks up the phone at Reception.
Room Service takes 90 mins and then the order is incorrect and they are surprised you will not accept it.
Try and get a bottle of water at 6 a.m... Room Service do no have any. The Bar is shut!
i could go on but no point as it just makes us sad to see everything going down hill and it is not the staffs fault it is the hotel owners who accountable.

The Maseru Cabanas has not changed much either, and well done to the folk working at these hotels as there is not a lot to motivate them/

Room Tip: You do not get a choice!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Pingpong10
Mazi40, Resident Manager at AVANI Lesotho Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback.

At the outset i must apologize for the bad experience and once again thank you for the constructive feedback. The Lesotho Sun operations team has discussed each point individually and action plans have been devised and implemented in order to rectify the cause for issues that led to your dissatisfaction.

Please accept our sincere apologies and we hope to see you again at Lesoth Sun Hotel.
The team assures you a much better experience for your next visit.

There are newer reviews for AVANI Lesotho Hotel & Casino

Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stayed there for 2 weeks. The staff at the reception was nice and responsive. I requested to change my room due to the noise from the bar (in the weekend evening). They gave me a room with great view and very quiet. I appreciated it very much. However, they seem to be very busy, I called them from the room for three times, only the last time was answered. There is no baggage stand in the room, I had to put it on the floor. The TV channels were very limited, the wireless internet was expensive. The bath room was very clean. However, the carpet in the room seemed not been vacumed frequently. The gym was relatively good compare to some hotels in Africa, despite that some of the equipment was not in good shape. The aerobic class in the evening was very good, it really made me sweat. The SPA was also good. Unfortunately, it does not open on Sunday.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors and away from bar and casino
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank SweetAfrica

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback.

On behalf of Lesotho Sun Hotel staff and management, I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectation. We pride ourselves in using all kinds of feedback for the betterment of our business.

Thank you very much for the positive comments of staff friendliness and the courteous manner in which they dealt with your request for a room with a better view.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Have stayed in the Lesotho Sun now for the past two years. Last month over 4 trips every room tried had broken showers, tv channels untuned and single beds, just like a 2-3 star hotel for R1600! Horrendously expensive internet aswell which is quite slow. In the buffet restaurant the meat is cremated choice is potluck with the service shockingly slow. On complaining at reception, only one trainee manager is available if you can get her attention from the indifferent reception staff and GM is never in the hotel. Sun International shame on you for charging such high prices for such poor service. But there is no one to talk to or nowhere else to stay so they have a captive market.

Now hiring a house and house keeper in Maseru just so much cheaper. Other companies moving to Ladybrand for guesthouse accommodation.

SUN INTERNATIONAL the solution is easy - Either jack up or change the Manager and Maintenance contracts

Room Tip: Make sure the showers work before unpacking On Sundays city side is very noisy with African music
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback.

On behalf of Lesotho Sun Hotel staff and management, I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations. The issues you have raised have been noted and will be dealt with accordingly. I hope we can be afforded the opportunity to redeem ourselves in the near future.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed there 2 times in the same week, and the experience has been mixed. The staff is definelty good and helpful. I left my suit in the room at checkout the first time, and did not even realize. When chekcing in again, the gave it back to me! I was also pleasently surprised by the quality of the internet connection, although the signal sometimes drop for no reason. The beds are comfortable, and so are the pillows.

Meanwhile, the sound insulation is not very good, and you can hear (from your closed room) people talking in the corridor, water in the pipes, sound from the party on Friday night. I also found the room service slow, and they take half a day (the next day) to take the trays away outside of the room. I would have expected a minibar for a hotel of this standard. A chair would be better at the table, rather than the ottoman.

Room Tip: Room on the same facade of the entrance are noisy, and room on the end of wings have low WiFi signal...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Tariiq D

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback.

On behalf of Lesotho Sun Hotel staff and management, I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations on certain facilities and services. We always aim exceeding the guest's needs and I assure that we will continue to make it a point of focus that, our reception staff explain all services available and those that available upon request. Please feel free to request for a mini the next time you visit Lesotho Sun Hotel.

Thank you very much for the positive comments of staff friendliness.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

I've stayed at the Maseru Sun and the Lesotho Sun, and it's safe to say that the Lesotho Sun is a nicer hotel, and since they share the same negative issues, you might as well book this one over the other one. But here are my complaints: Expensive internet charges, inflexible staff who don't show much imagination in problem-solving, and poor maintenance.
I booked & paid for this hotel online, with no real knowledge of what exactly I was booking, as it was through a 3rd party website. So when I got there and was informed that my room was one consisting of 2 single beds, because that was what I'd "booked" - read: "paid for" (Really? There are still 4* hotels with single beds-only rooms for a different price? Wow. It's like a hostel.) I could see the hotel wasn't fully booked, the parking lot was empty and the clerk confirmed that it was a slow week, but that there was NO WAY on EARTH that she could change me to a king-bed room (who wants a single bed when you can have a king?) unless I was willing to pay an extra FIVE HUNDRED RAND. Again, the hotel was not full nor did it even remotely appear to be at 50% capacity for the next 2 days I was there. This just reeks of lack of motivation to please the customer. And for the cost that I paid for the room (exorbitant!) you would've thought they wouldn't care one way or another what type of bed you're sleeping in. Really, value for money is horrible, but that's Lesotho Hotels in general.
Additionally, the first room I checked into had a sliding glass door out onto the roof that was completely broken (lock) and I was not about to leave my expensive equipment in it with no way of securing the room, so I asked to be changed and reported the broken lock. Upon reporting it, I did get another (single bed) room, but I noticed the clerk did absolutely nothing about calling maintenance or filling out a report, etc. regarding the broken lock.
On the positive side: The gym that is at the hotel is great, and far better than most gyms that you'd normally pay a fee to join, so that was very enjoyable. Another plus over the Maseru Sun.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank JWBW

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback.

I am happy that you enjoyed the gym and I do apologize for poor handling of your room type request and the maintenance issues that caused for dissatisfaction. We do invest a lot of time and effort on an ongoing basis to train our staff on dealing with guest requests and I assure you that we will continue to do as a priority so our guests' needs and expectations are exceeded.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

This hotel has been unable to process credit card payments frequently. I stay here on a regular basis, the last time in June 2012, and the machine or connection did not work. After numerous tries,they have to call to get an authorization on line, reading all the credit details aloud from the front desk. Even this process is lengthy because the phone calls are dropped. It took me almost an half hour while other people are waiting to go through the same process. It is also the THIRD time this happened to me over the last 2 years. Two other parties were equally delayed a few days later while I and other were waiting outside in the airport shuttle. So be aware .....

Room Tip: In the winter time there, get a room on the city side with a great view of Free State accross the bo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank lansing-michigan
Management response:Responded November 5, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback.

I do apologize for the check out delays and the inconvenience caused as a result.
There are contingency plans in the event that credit card machine lines go down and these should not cause for unreasonable delays to guests.

I trust that after discussing your feedback with the front office team, any future issues arising will be deal with at no inconvenience to you, our valued guest.

I hope to see you again at Lesotho Sun Hotel.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

I have been staying at the Lesotho Sun on every trip I make to Maseru for the last 5 years. All I can say is that it keeps getting better and better with every visit! The staff is outstanding...always willing to go the extra mile with providing service. Ayanda, the resident manager, looks to make sure that all the guests needs are met. The food is wonderful and under the watchful eye of talented chefs. The breakfast buffet cannot be beat! All I can say is that upon arriving at the Lesotho Sun it is like home away from home!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MKruger

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback.

I am very pleased to receive such wonderful feedback and also to know that we have met exceeded your expectations.

Please note that I have shared your comments with the teams whom also were just as pleased.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Lesotho Sun Hotel.

Resident Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maseru
AVANI Maseru Hotel
#2 of 10 in Maseru
Botleng Guest House
Botleng Guest House
#1 of 27 in Maseru

Been to AVANI Lesotho Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!