“Tribes Restaurant at AFIA Beach Hotel was OUTSTANDING”
Review of Afia Beach Hotel

Afia Beach Hotel
Ranked #36 of 92 Hotels in Accra
Tampa, Florida, USA
“Tribes Restaurant at AFIA Beach Hotel was OUTSTANDING”
Reviewed June 24, 2009

My stay at AFIA beach side resort was comfortable. I enjoyed the beach, although areas adjacent to the beach had quite a bit of litter. As a chef, I thoroughly enjoyed all of my meals at the hotel restaurant, Tribes. I found the owner, Kofi, to be super friendly and an excellent chef.

The hotel is about 5 or 10min drive from the city center, I would consider this a nice value at about $80USD, more plush hotels go for at least double that price, I am a very basic needs traveler.

Enjoy your vacation

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Execchefwalt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
cologne
Reviewed June 22, 2009

Really liked my stay there. It is a quiet and nice location where you always have a breez from the see. I think it is more then a bargain for the price and has improved every time I have been there.

As long as you do not expect to go and swim in the sea (beach isn't so nice) I can only recommend the place!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Kansas, USA
Reviewed April 28, 2009

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The atmosphere is very pleasant and the food was awesome! Classy decor and landscaping; I was pleasantly surprised.

The open restaurant, Tribes, over looking the rocky shore, provided great and welcoming service and atmosphere for enjoyment and relaxation. I really appreciated the accommodating attitude of the restaurant staff.

I would strongly advised anyone staying there to pay as you go and keep any receipts given to you at the hotel; I was asked at the time of check out to pay for a meal I had paid for immediately after receiving the service days before (as I did with all meals and services). I found this billing inaccuracy embarrassing, awkward and frustrating. Fortunately I kept my receipts to prove that I had paid for the meal (one of at least 15 meals that I had there).

The beach is not clean for swimming, in my opinion, but I enjoyed the walks, exposure to the locals there, sunrises and sunsets.

Internet never worked the whole time I was there.
I would definitely stay there again and would recommend a stay here to others.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank satinfeet
Orpington, Kent
Reviewed April 27, 2009

This hotel consists of a collection of 'huts' and is so different from faceless, boring business hotels and cheaper too. Rooms were spacious and clean and although we didn't have a sea view it didn't really matter.
Restaurant was great- we ate there two nights out of three- and the staff were efficient and friendly.
Although not right in the centre of town, the location suited us as it was quiet and close to some of the best tourist sites.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Annebailes
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed April 16, 2009

Afia is foreign co-owned and it shows! Design, service and attention to detail are all very good. Rooms are spacious and well-furnished cottages under palm trees, directly adjoining the beach. The beach looked too dirty for swimming but that doesn't stop the locals on the weekend.
The location is within walking distane of the crafts market and city centre, and Osu is a short taxi trip away.
The food was excellent, if a little pricey, with a good mix of (well made) Ghanaian dishes and European ones. The included breakfast was just toast and tea/coffee, with juices, eggs, fruit salad etc all charged.
Overall, a relaxing and peaceful place to stay, away from the noise and bustle of Accra.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank savvy_dave
Oxford
Reviewed April 7, 2009

I would definitely recommend Afia African Village hotel. We'd previously stayed at the Niagara Plus in Osu and had been very disappointed, so we didn't hold much expectations when we checked into Afia. But we were thoroughly impressed with Afia (which was cheaper AND the service/cleanliness of the room were much better!). Its location is perfect - within walking distance to the National Museum, Adabraka region, Black Star square and the National Cultural Centre. Although we didn't get a room with oceanview, it didn't really matter as it only took 1 minute to walk to the beach! The room we stayed in had been newly refurbished, and it was very clean. Everything was new in the room, even the air con! The food from the restaurant was excellent and the waiters were very friendly indeed - as was the owner of the hotel, with whom we had the pleasure of having a nice long chat one evening after dinner! Also worth mentioning is the owner's collection of Tintin comic books (available for reading in the lobby) - which kept me entertained most evenings after dinner.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SKY_from_Oxford_UK
London
Reviewed April 2, 2009

I had to stay at the hotel because the African Regent which was my first choice was fully booked. I stayed at Afia for three days - the rooms are average, the service in the restuarant was appauling and the owner kept interrupting us during meals.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business