“A Gem of a Place.”

Ranked #7 of 91 Hotels in Accra
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“A Gem of a Place.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2011

I have stayed in pretty much every major hotel in Ghana, and the Mahogany Lodge is my favorite. It is small and charming. The staff is very friendly and the food is good. Unlike most other hotels in Ghana, it is reasonably priced. They have two and three bedroom apartments if you are traveling with kids. You will enjoy this place.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2010

We found this hotel to be very clean and the staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful.
We stayed in their 1 bedroom apartment. If we needed something for our room, we called and it was there. If we needed a cab, they got one for us. Anything at all and they provided it. Exceptionally fast (and included with the room) high speed wireless internet.
The hotel is situated close to the airport and the US embassy, which was great for us as we visited both. It is only a short 5 minute ride to the Labadi Beach for some great food and beachcombing. And speaking of great food, the food at the hotel was exceptional and served fresh and hot. Gotta try the bread there. We will be returning to Accra again around February of next year and I am sure we will choose this hotel. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone travelling to Accra, Ghana.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank flyme630
Worthing, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2010

I stayed at Mahogany Lodge for eight days in November 2010 on a work trip. The workload was very heavy, often requiring us to work until the early hours. It was good to know that I could come back to my big, comfortable room at Mahogany Lodge, where everyone is so welcoming and where everything works. There was great internet connection in my room (included in the bill, by the way) -- it seemed to be faster than my connection here in Sussex. Breakfast was also included and included sliced fruit, fruit juice, bread and coffee, as well as a 'full english'. I was able to work at any hour, night or day, and it felt very much like working at home. So all in all, highly recommended and good value.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Madonnadelparto
White Plains, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

I spent a month in Ghana, staying in different parts of the country, experiencing my share of hotels. That said, for Ghanaian standards, this hotel, was hands down superior to any I stayed at. The room was in fair shape, CLEAN, things worked, the resto was harmless/good, breakfast was good, the place is quiet, 5 minutes to Osu and best I thought was the service, borderline outstanding at times.

Ahhh of course everyone isn't going to love this hotel (think I spied a sour review or two) but for Ghana and the room rate (in face of Novotel, Golden Tulipe, etc. 300usd rooms) I'm at peace giving it my unwavering endorsement!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank bobdigi33
College Station, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2010

The Mahogany Lodge was one of the highlights of our visit to Ghana. We had based our reservation on the reviews we read and then confirmed it was near the Osu Children's Home, where we were to meet the young man we intend to adopt. We arrived mid-morning and the executive room was ready for us, except it was on the second level with no elevator. Quickly, the staff moved us to a standard room on the first level and made up a bed on the floor to accommodate the 3 of us. We are a family of dwarves and use mobility scooters to get us around long distances and saw that there were thresholds at every entrance. The staff rushed to help lift the scooters over the threshold and by the time we returned to the hotel on the second day, they had built ramps! The staff was incredibly helpful all the way around, the security made us feel very safe and comfortable, the food was delicious in the restaurant, the pool was clean and inviting, the internet was what kept our 19-year-old connected to reality, and the inclusive breakfast (which you could have in the restaurant or brought to your room) was really the best we'd ever enjoyed. Delivered with a smile and on time, I could hardly wait for the fresh papaya every morning. The hot water is plentiful (when you know how to switch on the button by the door to the bathroom) and the hardwood floors were smooth and wonderful on the feet. Clean, 100% cotton sheets on your bed every night made me give the hotel a 10 immediately. The front desk staff was well versed in local culture, shopping, etc. and found a tailor for my husband's "morning coat" he found at the gift shop...the tailor came, took Jack's measurements, and said he would be back with the altered coat before we were finished with lunch--and he was! Top notch all the way around, quiet neighborhood, clean surroundings (staff was always sweeping), and the fact that the staff always knew where we were ("they're on the terrace," "they're in the restaurant," "they left but will be back," ) made us feel secure. On the last day of our stay, the adoption facilitator said that he would make arrangements for our soon-to-be son to spend the night with us, and the hotel staff quickly made another "pallet bed" on the floor...complete with 100% cotton sheets and a wonderful pillow--it was the first time he'd ever slept on sheets or used a pillow. We love the Mahogany Lodge!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank MumJoy
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2010

I spent two weeks at this hotel while in Accra on business. It is in a quiet location of the city which I found very welcome. I stayed in an executive room which was spacious, well looked after and clean. The hotel provides free wifi internet access in public areas and wired access in the rooms. This proved to be most reliable internet access I came across. The restaurant food and service are very good. What makes the hotel is the staff who were unfailingly, helpful and attentive.

I felt the hotel represented good value for money considering the prices of 4 star hotels in Accra which is not a city overburdened with good places to stay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank MarcusTheBarbarian
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2010

I stayed here with my husband while he was on a business trip to Accra. We stayed for nearly three weeks in one of their spacious one bedroom apartments. The apartment was certainly not new, but everything functions well and is kept very clean. The pool area is small but very nice and clean, and you can use the hotel wi fi as often as you like free of charge. The staff are delightful and eager to help. I felt very comfortable here, and it was great to get 'home' after tackling the huge traffic on the roads! If you have not been to Ghana before, it is very, very hot and humid, but in the lodge the rooms are very well air conditioned, often too cold!

The tarrif inlcudes breakfast and it is very substantial. You can have a full hot breakfast if you want, or just a continental one. All in the room rate. We ate at the restaurant for dinner, and it was very nice, huge servings in fact! The chicken jambalaya and chicken curries were delicious. We went to a restaurant called "Captain Hook" which was just around the corner. It was very expensive, twice the price of the Lodge restaurant, and not as good. My fish was overcooked. So we mostly ate at the Lodge.

There are only 14 rooms at the lodge, which gives it a nice laid back family feeling. I would certainly recommend this lodge to anyone as opposed to a big hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business