“Wonderful Staff keep the rating high. Great tranquil location”

BEST WESTERN Plus Accra Beach Hotel
Ranked #49 of 91 Hotels in Accra
Aberdeen
“Wonderful Staff keep the rating high. Great tranquil location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

A place to stay on holiday and probably not business unless you want a semi-remote beach side location Great staff, and if you get the right room - great rooms. I stayed on business trip and the road from downtown to ARBH was congested all the time. A good 45 minutes from Royal Palm Beach or 1.5 hrs from the airport hotels and oil companies. Half that time though during the day.
I changed rooms 3 times in 5 days. My final room was a semi-suite overlooking the beach and ocean. All rooms have varying degrees of pool and beach views. The semi suites are located at the end of either side of the hotel.
They also have a large bath, separate shower and wet room. Separate toilet. Flat screen TV. big balcony chairs and table, stunning views. No mixers shower taps here but shower was powerful enough. Tired room in need of a refresh.

TIP sockets are round two pin and only one UK three pin per room

Room 1. was musty and damp. Poor air con and very basic. Room 2. was 100 times better and air con was new'ish and a decent TV. Shower pressure was poor. I had to request coat hangers. Sheets changed daily but for some reason they kept forgetting to leave towels.
Bar
A really relaxing atmosphere both in and outside on the veranda. Live music most nights with some really good musicians. Very attentive bar staff and a real asset to the hotel. George always on hand and extremely professional, and whilst he sets a high personal standard of service, it is not always replicated throughout the hotel, unfortunately.
Great wine list and selection of beers and spirits as well as cocktails.
Restaurant
Gordon Ramsey would go ape looking at the menu. Massive selection of European, Ghanian, Italian, Chinese and other choices like grilled meats, and seafood. The desert were exceptional e.g. Pineapple boat. Fresh scooped pineapple replaced into the just with ice creams scoops. Magic.
However, one evening we ordered 2 portions of giant shrimp, and just as the waitress got to our table one portion ended up on the floor. Lots of apologies and embarrassment obviously, but as we had waited about 50 minutes for the food, I cancelled a replacement dish. When the bill came it had the 2 portions showing and of course I asked them to remove 1 portion and we would pay for the one we got. The manager came through and explained that two portions left the kitchen, so two portions had to be paid. To cut a long story short the compromise was I get a free portion on the next visit. However, when I tried to get my free portion of prawns a couple of nights later, it was like Faulty Towers. In the end I did get the free portion but quite an ordeal to go through.
Pool
The pool was clean and fresh towels available all the time. Plenty beds and chairs. It took and hour to get coffee served outside, as you ask the pool boy, he asks the waiter, he asks the barman, by then its all forgotten about. So be prepared to ask a few times.
There is a restaurant at the poolside and they serve food to the pool lounger area. We tried this once and were visited by all the flies in the vicinity. However, the food was excellent and I am sure the flies thought so too. Best to eat in the shade of the restaurant.

Breakfast unfortunately was a disaster. Even when I got there early, any hot selection was gone. I usually had eggs, beans and toast, or egg on toast only. Fresh fruit was available but usually just odd bits left over. I was at the table once when new fruit arrived and loaded my plate which was just as well because the entire serving dish was emptied before i left the buffet area to go back to my table. Nothing seemed to get refilled once empty. However, the duty chef at breakfast was always pleasant and cooked my eggs to perfection.
I hired a car via the hotel every day and the driver was Izy (Eazy) and he was the safest driver I have ever used in the country. What a great guy and nothing was too much trouble for him.
This hotel has a laid back approach, but far too laid back for my liking. If I was on holiday at the hotel I would be a very disappointed customer.
The biggest asset this hotel currently has is the staff. What wonderful people they are. Rose in particular was always on duty and great to get her winning smile every morning or evening. It would be a fantastic hotel if the owners showed some TLC to the rooms and improve the level of service at meal times.
Despite the negative'ish review, I probably would stay at the hotel again as I know what to expect and what room/s to requests. The setting is tranquil and you could chill out there if you are prepared not to expect prompt service. No disrespect to the staff intended.

Room Tip: Suites at the end of the hotel blocks look onto the ocean
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Nigel R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

My overall opinion of the hotel is positive. Nice decor in the restuarent, well maintained pool and grounds and the most of the staff was nice and accommodating (giving us a late checkout). The price also was favorable in comparison to other beach front hotels in Accra.
My negative impressions where small but started to accumulate after a few days. We had reserved a room with two beds but was given a single queen, so we had to switch. The safes weren't functioning properly in the rooms so we had to bring valuables to the front desk when we left the hotel to go into the city.
We had three full meals for the restaurant and two were suitable while the third was inedible (hockey puck like calamari). This wouldn't have been such a problem but the waitress couldn't/wouldn't accept the fact that I wasn't going to eat it and thus pay for it. Having to explain why I shouldn't be charged for a meal I didn't eat and to get attitude for it wasn't pleasant.
The other disappointing aspect is the beach. From a distance it meets all the requirements I was looking for but up close I was disappointed to find that the is a lot of litter on the beach and that it isn't advisable to go into the ocean because of rocks and maybe cleanliness.
But as I mentioned above my overall experience was positive.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank mt_law749
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2012

The setting for this hotel tending toward the countryside, as it is out of the City of Accra. The surroundings are local communities and villages. The open-air down stairs lounge, open-air sitting areas at the main level bar and restaurant provide beautiful views of the ocean and coastline, and an enjoyable breeze. The hotel is staff is very accomodating, friendly and helpful. Due to the limited number of rooms in the hotel, you never have the sense of being crowded. The food was good. Travel to and from the hotel is scenic, and you can get to downtown Accra or a highway to go elsewhere within a short period of time. This is my hotel of choice for my visits to Ghana.

Room Tip: Ask for oceanfront.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank vannie0525
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

We were a little nervous selecting this hotel because it is outside of the city center. It became evident pretty soon that we had made the right decision. The hotel is first class all the way, from the friendly and accomodating staff, our manager on duty was just excellent and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, always smiling to the gorgeous views of the Atlantic ocean. We traveled with two 3 year old boys and they loved being able to watch the fishing boats next door to the hotel and swimming in the pools. The rooms are very comfortable and have airconditioning and the views are stunning. Overall I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone willing to travel outside of the city center.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank travellerZA
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2011

This is an average hotel, with very friendly staff. Rooms are nice large size, location in front of the ocean is very nice although far from the center and airport if you are travelling for business. The helpfulness of the staff make it worth the traffic jams.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
5 Thank syllia
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2010

I enjoyed a lot atmosphere, services and food in this hotel. Hotel stuff were very friendly and helpful. In free moments you can enjouy swimming pool or take a walk on the beach. I strongly reccoment his hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business