“AWESOME!”

Aburi Botanical Gardens
Ranked #2 of 64 things to do in Accra
More attraction details
Owner description: Snaking through the lush Akwapim hills, these gardens comprise great lawns planted with native and imported trees and plants.
Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“AWESOME!”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I spent an entire day and night at Aburi Gardens and all I can say is that the experience was spiritual. Much like being alone in a beautiful church... I was there on a Saturday and other than my guide and I there was only one other traveler there. We had the forest all to ourselves! A very knowledgeable guide toured me through the forest, identifying and explaining the enormous trees and other vegetation and then I was left on my own to wonder at will. It was like being alone in heaven and the sounds of the forest were awesome. Even a blind person could enjoy the sounds, smells and feel of Aburi. There is a small guest house inside the forest which is staffed by a man and woman. I had both dinner and breakfast there and the food was fine; nothing special but nothing to complain about. What was fabulous was the setting in which the food was served. I was given the option of eating in a dreary dinning room/meeting room or being served on the porch which turned out to be like a tree house. It was a beautiful setting which allowed you to continue enjoying the forest even at night. The other traveler was a young man from Europe who was also traveling alone and we had a lovely evening together in the tree house sharing travel adventures. At 8:45 PM we had to hurry to our respective rooms because the power at Aburi goes off at 9 PM. I thought I would be nervous alone in my room with no lights but I had a flashlight that allowed me read and I was perfectly comfortable in a big queen size bed encased with a very clean, attractive and serviceable mosquito netting. In the morning I got up extra early so that I could wonder in the forest again before breakfast and I my departure for Kumasi. If you go to Aburi Forest wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt and put on plenty of insect repellent. If you stay at the guesthouse in Aburi take 2 flashlights, an open mind and a flexible attitude. It is a guest house and not a fancy hotel with room service or any other service. They provide a clean room, decent food and a location that can only be described as HEANVENLY. Be aware that school groups visit Aburi so if you go during the week you may encounter children.

Visited January 2014
3 Thank cheryl f

• Turkish first
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
97 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Great day trip away from the city”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Good to get away from the city, see the city lights from above, and walk through some surreal wildlife in a national park.

Visited February 2013
Lagos, Nigeria
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Tranquil”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

This place is tranquil through and through. Ghana is very lush but this garden has a lot to offer and you could even have a picnic there.

Visited January 2014
Melbourne, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Tranquility”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

The new roads in Ghana make Aburi easy to get to!
It's a beautiful scenic drive with well made roads all the way from where Accra.
There is a lovely little restaurant for lunch up near the guest rooms. It's a pity that the villas they have there don't seem fully functional as it would've been a gorgeous place to stay a few nights!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Tekor Q
Kent
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Shame”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Opened in 1890, I'm sure this was once beautiful and interesting. However, it has been seriously neglected, and is now merely a salutary lesson in what happens when you don't look after things. There is also a broken helicopter for children to play on. Near the entrance there's a quite good pizza shack, although sometimes there is no cheese.

Visited February 2013