“Vast and scary”

and up
Half-Day Accra City Tour
Ranked #7 of 66 things to do in Accra
More attraction details
Owner description: The city's main market.
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Walked around this place all day and saw only 1 other white face. The ground was very uneven and the traffic came very close if you ended up walking in the road, watch out for pits trips and gaps if you try and stay on the path. Side roads off were even worse with trucks and pedestrians competing for the same space. I crossed the road by latching into the slipstream of a local an following closely - be warned traffic lights do not always work and traffic goes where it can. Adults mostly ignored me but the young children were wide eyed with interest. eventually(as I relaxed?) there were waves and smiles and Hi's and Ii managed to buy the goods I was looking for. I realised I never really felt threatened or unsafe apart from the traffic and would have been really sad had I not gone walkabout - it was a great experience.

4  Thank Steve361

Reviewed August 19, 2012

The market is very nice, there are a lot of souvenirs - everything you might want to take home as a memory. Bargaining is hard, they will start ridiculously high and pretty much go down to what you are willing to pay. Bear in mind that if you think a wooden figurine is well worth $30 in the US, they will happily sell it to you for $5, but you have to bargain. It is good to go with a local and keep things in perspective.

3  Thank rada i
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I was impressed with the art work and the time that was put into this project which long over due.

2  Thank Stephen D
Reviewed July 6, 2012

The market is noisy and unorganised but well located. It had virtually everything one can look for. I enjoy my shooping experince here but I advice any first time visitor to this market to go early because of heavy traffic which results in long hours on traffic.

6  Thank Felixo37
Reviewed June 10, 2012

As a foreigner, but regular visitor to Ghana (based in Accra), I must say that for some reason or another, I do find myself at the Makola Market on most trips that I have taken. However, it's generally because someone else wants something, not because of my extreme desire to go back there. In fact, I don't recall any time where I went there since my first trip at my own behest.

It is a bustling, crowded, hot, sweaty bunch of streets, with narrow walkways, etc, and really, there is not much there that you can't buy at Kaneshie or any other area of Accra.

Much of the action is based around Rawlings Park, which is easily identified from it's landmark arch (or whatever that thing is supposed to be), and the Makola Market pretty much spread for about six or eight blocks to the north & north-east of Rawlings Park. In fact, I find it rather disappointing that Rawlings Park is nothing but a congested carpark, with a few chop bars in a row of eateries on the northern side of the park.

Most of the trade is pretty unremarkable - people are generally hawking anything they can, and you will find stall after stall of fabrics, homewares, local staples, and cheapo fashion sunglasses & the like.

To the south of Rawlings Park is Melcom & Lava, which were probably the places to go once upon a time, but nowadays, there are better Melcom outlets in the North Industrial Area, Spintex Road, and Tema. Lava's electronics & furniture are eclipsed by what you can buy up at Accra Mall, or at Somovision (in terms of electronics), but they seem to stay open & trade there.

Really, as a tourist, if you have been to another African market before, you could almost skip it, and if you are looking for arts & crafts, better to go to the National Cultural Centre (next to the Kwame Nkrumah Memorial Park), or to the stalls at the northern end of Spintex Road (found intermittently between the Spintex Roundabout at Tetteh Quarshie Circle & Oak Plaza Hotel on Spintex. It was a shock to me that it featured so heavily in the Ghana episodes of "The Amazing Race", as there were simply better places that they could have incorporated into the show that was more interesting & likely to attract tourists.

Personally, I feel it is a bit of a pity that the beautiful old colonial buildings in the area can't be restored, and the area turned into an upmarket CBD, and move the market out of the area, as it looked at the time of Ghana's independence from colonial rule. Comparing it to some of the colour newsreels of the area when Kwame Nkrumah would drive down these roads in motorcades so his people could see him, it's a far cry compared to what you will find there now !

7  Thank PietroMorrizio