“Nice outdoor spaces, big rooms”

La-Palm Royal Beach Hotel
Ranked #18 of 92 Hotels in Accra
Reviewed March 8, 2010

La Palm Royal was the 3rd hotel I stayed at in Accra. It has a lot to offer….everything you might need is located on the property.

We were there for a conference. The facilities accommodated the 1000ish people that were there. Not all of us stayed there, but we all attended classes there.

The room we stayed in was a double room in one of the “hut” type bungalows they offer. It was a nice space, but a little awkward in its shape. It was fairly comfortable and had everything we needed.

The pool area was great. Lots to do, swim up bars, and plenty of space to enjoy the African sun. Down toward the beach is a great open-air restaurant with great food. We ate there most nights. Breakfast was in the restaurant with decent food. Breakfasts were a mix of English and African….some good, some no so good. Luckily, there was a lot to choose from so I was never hungry.

There is no beach access. There is a large wall and fence that keeps the locals out, and the guests in. For entertainment, they have a casino, concierges to help with day/overnight trips, car rental services, and everything else to take care of your vacation.

Service was pretty good. I never found myself needing anything.

The only downside is they allow people to buy one-day passes to the pool, so you get a lot of people crowding in on some days.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for La-Palm Royal Beach Hotel

Reviewed February 27, 2010

Gorgeous location! Beach, restaurant, service, entertainment, etc. Excellent place to relax!

Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed February 2, 2010

I stayed in room 1608, for an exessive charge of US$250.- per night. The Safe was locked upon arrival. It needed two days to get the toilet flush attended to. The Food is truly aweful and uneateable!

Wake up call requests are forgotten or are placed much later then requested.

The room walls are thin, you listen to every detail in the next one (1609).

The room has a two pin plug hair drier, but no socket for two pins.

There are more managers walking the floor than guests.

Management is layed back and does not care when complaining.

Staff appear to be a " club of friends ", the customer comes last.

The hotel has no computers for guests and the Business Center closes on Sunday, so no computers on Sunday !

I wanted to arrange a room reservation for about x 9 rooms and a suite. Sales intertest could be described as non existing.

A overpriced and poorly managed hotel !!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 3, 2009

I have been going to Lapalm for 5 years now, and never wrote a review about it, so it was time to write one...
The check in procedure is excellent in my point of view, the staff of the reception is very attentive.
The rooms: are large and with nice surroundings leading to them, the cleanness of the rooms, that’s something else, every time I’m at Lapalm I have the room cleaned again, because it is so dirty. Sometimes there is no water pressure in the bathroom, so when you are just about to take a shower…no water, but it's Africa, so take it with patience and a smile.
The food: breakfast buffet is very nice, the rest of the restaurants are very average.
Pool: the pool is very nice and clean
Check out procedure: a pain in the ... it’s one of the only hotels (calls itself a 5* hotel)in the world, I have to go to a separate counter to give the credit card to pay, last time the girl at the counter went for dinner when I was ready for check out, so I could wait for more than 20min to pay them ?????
Overall, Lapalm is a very secure hotel, very helpful staff (beside the girl of the credit card counter) with nice rooms( if they clean it) and nice surrounding

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 2, 2009

this place just doesn't work

automatic key to get in room - not working. can we fix it? yes, well, soon

friendly staff, but that's it. expect to have to be very, very patient...

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 27, 2009

This is the premiere hotel/resort in Accra, and given that, you can expect finer accommodations than pretty much anywhere else in the area.

The best things about this place are:

1) It's in Ghana! Duh! Ghana is a lovely place, and I don't think I've experienced treatment more welcoming, generous, friendly, and kind anywhere else on the planet. Ghana is, well, probably the most civilized place I've ever been, in terms of how people treat one another. Such human decency is really refreshing.

2) The swimming pool is fabulous. It's on 3 levels with rock waterfalls, elaborate tropical planter boxes that create beautiful "coves" to swim in and out of, and several foot bridges spanning the pool, and there's a sunken bar you can swim up to w/ stools in the water, so you can stay cool while you drink your refreshments before paddling away again.

3) The staff were really nice to me and went out of their way to be helpful throughout my 5-day stay. Sure, there were some problems, but people were always really nice about setting things right as well as could be and as quickly as they could.

4) It's one of the places in town where you can be pretty certain of getting fairly reliable internet. Wifi was always available in the spacious lobby/cafe/bar area and in the conference facility, and the cabanas closer to the main building had fairly reliable wifi too.

5) The conference facility was very good. Sure, some a/c would have been great, but the rooms were spacious and well-appointed with tables, seating, and good a/v equipment, and the catering staff did a great job of keeping all delegates in food and water.

6) The pool, lobby, restaurants, and cabanas were all kept very clean. Mosquitoes and mold are both problems in a warm moist place like this, and consequently I saw staff going around many times per day sanitizing and scrubbing the whole resort. My room always smelled of fresh sanitizer each day when I came back, and if I wanted more fresh towels all I had to do was ask.

There were indeed some problems with my stay, most of them pretty hilarious if taken in the right mindset.

1) The first room I was given seemed pleasant and quiet, as it was in the cabana furthest away from the rest of the resort facilities. There was even a separate gate near my cabana that was staffed by a guard person just inside the gate. I felt very safe.

I thought that was going to be wonderful until the first full day there when, after coming back from a day's work with the GHS I got caught in a MASSIVE rain storm and couldn't get back through the gate nearest my cabana. The guard was not near (probably hovering under a cabana awning trying to stay dry!) Seriously, we were having a Key Largo moment w/ palm trees bending at 90-deg angles, dirt paths becoming rushing rivers, and soaking rain beating in horizontally because of the ferocious winds.

I ran for it and made it to the lobby, by which time I was soaked through and probably looking like a half-drowned stray terrier. One of the hotel staff approached me immediately asking if she could help me or give me a towel, and I explained I was locked out of the gate nearest my cabana. She was very apologetic and offered me an umbrella to get me back to the cabana through the expansive grounds. I told her I was already wet so an umbrella wouldn't really make much sense, so she apologized again and sent me on my way through the resort.

2) When I got back to my cabana and went straight to the bathroom where I stripped off my soaking clothing, I realized the bathroom floor had a good inch or more of standing water in it. At first I thought I had brought all that water in, but after sopping up all the water w/ the towels that were in the bathroom, the water built right back up again.

I determined the bathroom window was heavily leaking and went into the main room to find the phone. I saw a steady drip of water coming from the lighting fixture and dripping straight onto the bed. Ugh!

I called the front desk and they said they'd send maintenance out right away to help me. Maintenance never came that night, but really, in that kind of storm, I couldn't blame them. I slept on the very edge of my bed and immediately called in the morning when the storm was gone to request a new room, which they found for me immediately and which was very comfortable for the rest of my stay.

3) I decided to eat one night at the Bali Hai, one of the hotel restaurants. It was early--right about opening time--and I was the first person in the restaurant. I ordered my food and something to drink, and while I was waiting, a few other Westerners came in and took a table at the opposite end of the restaurant, and immediately lit up a bunch of cigarettes. I couldn't believe it. "No smoking" signs are posted all over the hotel, and yet there they were smoking indoors. Between coughs I asked the bartender if she knew whether smoking was allowed in the restaurant. She said "yes, it is, but it's rarely done", and I asked to have my food packed to go while I wait in the main lobby for it. She agreed. (I should say that smoking prevalence in Ghana is about 3.5%--extremely low, and it's considered extremely rude to smoke in public).

But she did a lot more than that. She arranged to have the wait staff meet me in the (smokefree) buffet restaurant with a freshly-set table where my food was brought to me on plates. They actually waited my table in an entirely different restaurant when they saw I couldn't breathe in the smoky restaurant. Now, that's service.

I have to say, the people who have complained about the service at La Palm may have not been on their own best behavior. My experience here showed me that with a lot of "thank you"s and general appreciation for what people are trying to do for you, you'll get treated really nicely. Over the 5 days I was at La Palm, maintenance staff would say hello and address me by name, wait staff would sit down with me and talk to me about the favorite books they've read, kitchen staff would come out with special hot sauces they usually keep for themselves, and generally everybody had a smile and a kind word.

I would recommend this place for either business or recreational travelers, with the following advice:

1) Be grateful and appreciative toward everyone you meet there. It goes a long way and people really open up in the most unexpected and delightful ways.

2) Ask for a room in the main building or in one of the cabanas nearest the main building. These seem to be the best maintained, and they are the rooms you'll be most likely to get internet in.

3) You can ask for a lot--better room, better restaurant service, special foods, etc--but do it pleasantly.

4) Have patience when things don't work the way you expect them to. Ask politely and let people know you're thankful for their efforts. People in this place mean well and they'll go out of their way for you if you're decent to them.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank madbrewer
Reviewed September 11, 2009

On arrival the reception was warm and friendly. Room was clean, smelt good, bathroom was clean and well stocked. Got extra bed immediatly for my children. Break fast which was buffet was realy good. Room service took like 30minutes. The pool was clean and well kept. The hotel staff were always friendly and willing to help. The beach could only be seen from the hotel grounds (the swimming pool made up for that). We had fun just working round the expansive hotel ground.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family