$261
Villa Monticello(Accra)
$343
$282
Orbitz.com
All reviewslarge swimming poolevening buffetbusiness tripfree shuttlea la carte menulive bandcomfortable staypool sideairporttennispoolsidecrewschaletenvironment
Reviewed January 17, 2014

The hotel is near the airport, which makes it fantastic. the price of the room is ridiculous though. I enjoyed the breakfast, howver i didnt like the room i was, the scenery is awful. The concept of paying in full before checking is crazy. my satisfaction level is moderate.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank yomiatobs
Bertha d, Director of Sales at Golden Tulip Accra, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at our hotel.

We apologize for not meeting your expectations.

Please note that our booking policy requirements state that full payment is made for the number of nights booked.

We have rooms that overlook our beautiful swimming pool and exotic gardens. So the next time you visit, please request for any of these rooms which would give you a beautiful view.

We trust that you will have a pleasurable experience on your next visit to our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

Overpriced as to be fair are many hotels in Accra. Rooms are several years overdue for a refurbishment. Decor is retro but not deliberately. Carpets faded and in places stained. Internet speeds are glacial and not working anyway a lot of the time I was there. Food distinctly average and pricy. Restaurant and bar provide a useful meeting area for work.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear Martin,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at our hotel.

We apologize for not meeting your expectations and have noted your concerns.

We assure you of improving on the areas of concern you indicated in order to provide a pleasurable experience on your next visit to our hotel.

We are upgrading our systems to ensure fast Wifi access among other improvements.

We trust that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a more positive experience on your next visit to our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

The first thing that surprised me is that GOLDEN TULIP is asking you to pay the full amount of your stay in advance the day you check in.
Then start a long way...
I was given the room 031 in which I stayed 15 mn. In the room I could not connect on the wifi so I ask for another room.
I was given then the room 223 in which the aircon was very slow. I warn the reception the first morning 2 times, asking them to come and fix the zircon. When I came back in the evening nothing had been done so I had to call again and somebody came but could not fix it. After too days in the heat I ask to change again for another room.
I was given the 203, not far from the reception so the wifi was much better also and the Aircon was ok, except the day I left.
For the laundry if you ask regular service you have to call every evening the laundry otherwise you do not find your clothes in your room.
The bathroom are very clean but it is not the case in the room especially the carpet on the floor which are very dirty.
in the lobby the aircon is not working so it is very hard to stay there. Anyway the lobby is ugly so you do not need to stay there
in the bar downstairs, the service is really bad. You can sit and wait for a long time without being taken in charge by a waiter.
outside (the terrace), they do not care of you. the tables remains uncleared for long.
when you find a table empty, it miss either a knife, either a fork, either the table napkin. Then by the time you order some meal it takes about 30 minutes to be served.
The breakfast is fine, the lady at the entrance are very nice. Except the croissants which are hard and dry. The rest is ok.
WIFI is ok, not all time but it is not too bad and it is free.
So I have spent there 5 nights at 270$ / each, I call it robbery...
Hopefully the competition is coming, RADISSON, KEMPISKI etc.
The only advantage of GOLDEN TULIP is the location close to the airport, that all !
I will not go anymore in this sad and old hotel

Room Tip: ask for rooms not too far from the shops / lobby otherwise you could not get the wifi properly.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Bertha d, Director of Sales at Golden Tulip Accra, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear Jean,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations.

We assure you that we are seriously addressing the issues you raised and would like to be given the opportunity to provide you with a more positive experience on your next visit to our hotel.

Once again we apologize for any inconvenience caused during your stay.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I recently stayed in a 1 bedroom suite at the Golden Tulip Accra for one week. The hotel is in good condition with a nice attention to cleanliness evident throughout. The check in and check out processes could be faster but were not too painful.

My main complaint is with the wifi & tv services, both were lacking. Both services were hit or miss in terms of being able to use them. The wifi was pretty dependable in the lobby but, it is not really air-conditioned there, so it's not the best place to spend any considerable time working. You will probably have the wifi login credentials memorized after a day or so as you must login every single time you start a new internet session.

The grounds, including the pool are very nice even though the hotel is on a main road. The grocery store across the street is convenient to stock up on items, although the prices charged at the hotel for food and room service in particular are reasonable. There are clearly areas for improvement, like the rotten balconies, but overall this is a good hotel close to the airport in Accra and I would not hesitate to return again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Bertha d, Director of Sales at Golden Tulip Accra, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel.

We very much appreciate your positive comments and have noted the areas of concern.

We are upgrading our systems to ensure fast wifi access and enhanced TV signals as well as installing a new Chiller which would improve air-condition cooling.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

My husband and I have been back and forth to Accra for the last 5 years. We live in Accra for at least 6 months out of the year. We rent a house in town but find ourselves at the Golden Tulip Accra property almost everyday. We eat at the Branche restaurant at least 3 times (if not more) a week, we're at the casino adjacent the hotel several times a week as well. occasionally we use their business café or eat at the coffee shoppe. At times, the water shortage and power failures back home are too much for us and we run for an escape to pamper ourselves at the area hotels. We usually stay at Holiday Inn or Best Western, as there are not too many choices of hotels with international standards in Accra. That being said, this is the first year we were able to actually stay in one of the rooms at Golden Tulip because of the deals they were offering for the rooms. The regular rate is really expensive. But we once stayed two nights with the weekend package and recently we stayed 4 nights for the Holiday Package. We are on these hotel grounds almost everyday and had always wondered what the rooms were like and finally had the chance to find out!! I will critique each component separately:

The casino: Millionaires Casino is attached to the hotel. The atmosphere almost makes you forget you are in Ghana because it is filled with many foreigners and the AC makes you forget how hot it is outside. It's small, but not too small. They offer free drinks and even will bring you a plate of food for free if you are playing the games. That being said, there are a handful of riff raff that is there day after day/night after night. They are clearly prostitutes and the management could never say they don't know that they are, but yet they allow them to be there. Secondly, the staff (most of them) are extremely unprofessional and downright rude. The dealers seem to hold a grudge against you if you are winning..and find pleasure in you losing...unless you are one of the local Ghanaians who kiss their butt and probably pay them something outside of the casino. They talk amongst each other in their native language and giggle while looking at you and speaking in foreign tongue. It makes you very uncomfortable to say the least.

The Branche Restaurant: Best food in Ghana by far!! I've eaten breakfast, lunch and dinner there more times than I can count and I've never been let down. I think the head chef is French (though I could be wrong). I usually eat the Buffet, there are a lot of choices and the food is soo high standard. It is definitely on the expensive side, but if you want good food, it's worth the price. I read one review of the place that said they think the salad made them sick. That really had to be a fluke because I eat salad there at least three times a week and I've never gotten sick once...and I have a low tolerance for sketchy food! If you order off the menu, plan to wait a while, as it is pretty slow. The waiters and waitresses are well trained and have good customer service, which is not always easy to find in Ghana. The atmosphere is beautiful but my husband put his hand under the table once and he skeeved me out when he said there was numerous wads of gum under them. I think the staff should check that on the regular because obviously some diners have no class. I would recommend this place a million times over, it is the best food in Ghana.

The hotel: We were skeptical about how the room was going to look but were pleasantly surprised. The rooms were decorated beautifully, the bed was extremely comfortable, it had a very cold fridge, a safe, ironing board and iron, hairdryer, and good size desk. What more can you really want,...and that was the standard room. We also had the opportunity to stay in the Junior Suite which has a sitting area with couch and chairs. Room service is slow, but available 24 hours. The internet was really slow the first time we stayed there in July, (couldn't watch youtube or anything like that) but when we came back in December, we were able to watch youtube, stream movies, etc. They said we'd get a welcome drink and fruit upon arrival, but got neither of those, unless you consider the 2 small bottles of water in the room. The biggest downfall would be that they don't have a bathtub. Not even in the Junior suite. That's my personal preference, but if you like showers, the shower is great. A ton of water pressure (if you know how to work the dials correctly, they're kind of confusing) and the hot water was always good. The pool outside is gorgeous, the staff in the hotel is extremely professional and nice. I hated to leave the room and return back home after our mini vaca!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank staceyayo
Bertha d, Director of Sales at Golden Tulip Accra, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Stacey,

Thank you for the detailed review of our hotel.

We very much appreciate your overall positive comments and have noted the areas to further improve.

Our Chef is indeed French and has several years experience with 5-Star hotels in Europe and Asia. Thus, he has brought 5-Star standards in our kitchen operations resulting in the high quality of the food on our menus.

We assure you of improving further on our services to ensure a pleasurable stay for you and all our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.