“DONT DO IT!!!”

Ranked #20 of 92 Hotels in Accra
Cali
“DONT DO IT!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

Terribly overpriced for the condition of the hotel. This was a last resort hotel because the other hotel didn't take a credit card so last minute we booked here upon arrival. Im thinking for OVER $200 usd a night this must be a nice hotel..NOT!!!! Hallways smell horrible rooms smell horrible. When got to our room I was like this room doesn't even look clean and we don't have any face towels. So I called down for face towels because we wanted to take a shower we had just arrived from the US. Well 20mins later i called again they said they were on there way. Now 45mins later I just go ahead and take a shower without because at least I had a luffa sponge. I had finished taking a shower and still no face towels. My friend took her shower and STILL no face towels. When they came they brought hand towels so had to go back and get face towels and when they finally brought face towels (they come in a box) one box was empty!! The face towel that you get is this flimsy disposable one use towel which is just ridiculous!
Then I go to lay down and I never lay on top cover I pull the covers back to lay on the sheets because I figure the sheets are clean..Low and behold what do I find when I pull the sheets back..A BUG AND LOTS OF HAIR IN THE BED!! I was so disgusted. I checked out my friends bed and she had hair in her bed also which meant they didn't even change the damn sheets. Also I found bugs on the teapot and other places. (i took pictures) I was screaming at this point. I called for the manager to come up there and see this mess. They tried to get housekeeping to come and clean but at this point I wanted to be moved to another room. (actually I wanted a different hotel but was stuck) After forever and a day the manager came up and looked at the room and said he would move us to a different room. So while they got the new room ready we went to go eat and the manger said we could eat for half off. I felt we should have ate for free but this is the type of service you get at this hotel.
When finally moved to new room the hallways was dirty with stuff all on the carpet and smelled again. The new room was cleaner but still not what I feel you should get for Over $200 a night.

Everything is 10mins which equates to 30-45mins at this hotel. Customer service is just bad.
If you going to spend this type of money find a different hotel because I know I will never stay here even if it was free!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Bertha d, Director of Sales at Golden Tulip Accra, responded to this review, May 6, 2015
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your feedback on our hotel. We sincerely apologize for our inability to make your stay pleasurable.

We assure you action was taken on the issues you raised to prevent a future occurrence

We regret the inconvenience caused.

Sales & Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Good hotel very good selection of food and wine. I appreciated the good rates for the summer special? Close to airport. Great pool area. Much better Internet than close by competitor hotel. This hotel is favored by the airlines. Reception can be a little slow but staff were friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: Close to the airport which means less time in Accra traffic to and from the airportH
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and will share your feedback with our team.

Lagos, Nigeria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Coming from Europe and living in Nigeria, Golden Tulip Accra, has excellent breakfast and dinner, good people and a very interactive environment....fast internet access and a great lobby to mingle with business people and locals..

Room Tip: Rooms over looking the pool
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your lovely comments about our hotel. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and will share your feedback with our team.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

We've stayed in the golden tulip Accra several times, and never been disappointed. The staff are very friendly (they let us check out at 4pm for no extra cost), the rooms are comfortable and the food is good, although a bit overpriced for Accra. The best value is the breakfast buffet though. We've gone several times when not staying there, and payed 32 cedis for a 3 hour buffet filled with everything you could want. If you don't end up staying at the hotel, at least come for breakfast.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Ryanandlauren
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. We are delighted you enjoyed our facilities and services during your stay. We will share your feedback with our team.

Aberdeen, Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

After having tried the Holiday Inn and Labadi Beach hotel in Accra on past visits, I was keen to see other alternatives. The Golden Tulip is the obvious choice as it is locally known as one of the biggest and best hotels in the city.

Room:
Comfortable, clean and well equipped.

Restaurant:
Breakfast - Potential is there but the egg station is just no good.
Lunch / Dinner - Much better. Tastes from around the world. Pork Chops were really good!

Shops - Great for a hotel
Gym and sports - Best in Accra

Entertainment:
Night music - You are in West Africa, don't go in with expectations of West Europe or USA style music. Which is a shame as Ghanaian Jazz is not my thing!

You are only 15 mins

Room Tip: If you can afford it go for the chalets.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your feedback on our hotel. We assure you the points which fell below your expectations have all been addressed.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

This was my third stay at The Golden Tulip and still the only place I will stay in Accra. Everything I need is right in the hotel. I can change money, get a manicure and even get some work done in the lounge. Sitting poolside at night with the live music is romantic and relaxing. Each time I go to Accra I get a wonderful driver from the hotel who makes my excursions so easy. This was the first time I traveled alone to Africa and staying at The Golden Tulip made my trip easy. Well, as easy as possible. Having stayed at many other hotels in Accra I know this is the best place to stay with a nice African feel but everything this American needs.

Room Tip: I love the room with a view of the pool.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank AdrienneArtist
Dear Sir/Madam,

We very much appreciate your positive comments about our hotel. We are happy you had a pleasurable stay.

Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

It's very good hotel & it quiet hotel in the Accra airport way
- Good rooms area and form
- the rooms are some thing expensive
- Some thing near from Kumasi airport
- The breakfast & lunch are very good
- The internet connection is not good in the room are located in the central rooms corridor
- The rooms are in front of the the pool has a nice view best from the rooms in front of the tennis yard
- The landscape is verygood

Room Tip: The rooms are in front of the the pool starting from third floor are very nice
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your feedback on our hotel.

We appreciate your positive comments about our facilities and services and action was taken to improve the internet connectivity in the few rooms that had the problem.