“Wonderful!”

Ranked #4 of 244 Accra B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I arrived in Accra on May 17, 2013, and had registered at the Charleston Hotel for only two days. As a woman traveling alone in a country where I knew no one, I wasn't sure about the location and if the hotel was going to live up to its online reputation. By the second day I had extended my stay, and after a short visit to Elmina, I returned to the Charleston Hotel for the remainder of my visit to Ghana. The hotel's owners, Julia and Charles, have built a little palace, a very attractive and comfortable hotel, tucked in a quiet neighborhood in Accra. My room was large, very clean and comfortable. The hotel, with its balconies and patio, is a relaxing place to be after spending a busy day of sight seeing. More important, everyone on the hotel's staff is committed to providing excellent service. Everyone, from the owners, Julia and Charles, to the wait staff, and even the chefs treated me as if I were someone very special. They really helped to make my trip memorable and I'm already making plans to return next year. Thank you Charles, Julia, Frederick, Solomon, and all the other beautiful people I met at the Charleston Hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Sandra A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I am a seasoned traveler due to my profession. I just came back from a two week conference in Ghana, and stayed in Charleston Hotel the whole time.

Good quality rooms, courteous and friendly service to match the best in the world. What more can you ask for?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Femi O
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 12, 2013

When visiting our son in Ghana we lucked out and found the Charleston Hotel. The rooms were nice and clean, the food very good, and the people made it SPECIAL. Julie and her husband welcome their guests like good friends. This attitude of respect and warm hospitality is infectious and present in all of their staff from desk assistant, to waiter, to chef, to room cleaner. Everyone wants you to feel welcome and encourages you to return and return, and we will!
The Stewart family

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank frances s s
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We spent a total of 5 nights at the hotel over a two week period. Were generally very pleased, although our last room (104) smelled quite mildewy and had noisy pipes. Very friendly staff, so probably should have thought to ask for a different room, but didn't. Food is quite good, although we didn't see the extraordinary food that some reviews talked about. Nice pool area for relaxing. Because Accra doesn't truly have a central downtown with tons of hotels the way many cities do, the placement of the Charleston isn't as odd as it seems. We walked around the neighborhood pretty extensively without problems. Without traffic, it's a 15 minute and $5 US cab ride to the downtown area. With heavy traffic it can take as long as 45 minutes, so plan accordingly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Mark T
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We provisionally booked into this hotel for three nights as we were travelling onwards to the Cape Coast. We ended up staying an additional night and upon returning from the coast, re-booked into the hotel and spent a further three nights. The hotel is away from the hustle and bustle of central Accra, and off the beaten track which suited our purpose. Owners Charles and Julie are warm and welcoming and the hotel had a family friendly feel about it. The staff are exceptional and nothing was a bother for them to sort out on our behalf (big thank you to Solomon, Frederick and Eliza). Rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable, facilities worked perfectly. Glad I booked into this small, friendly and personable establishment and stayed clear of the big, sprawling and in-personable hotels.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank YvetteFr
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I am presently surprised by the Charleston Hotel. For $120usd a night the rooms are super clean, large comfortable bed, aircon works great, internet works great, water heater boils fast and the water pressure is stupendous. Take an extra shower each day, might be the last chance you get in the area. Only downer is that it is removed from the good restaurant area of town but for 120 in Accra it is to be expected.

Room Tip: Higher up gets you away from any bar or road noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank MacMagruder
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is a nice place with enthusiastic management and some helpful staff.

The rooms are a bit average. The bar had closed early when I arrived but one of the reception staff helpfully walked me to a local shack to grab a couple of beers (no way I'd have found it in the dark). On site catering is poor, which is a shame. If later reviews update this, that would be good. It's a bit out of the way from anything, but there is great potential here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo