“Memorable”

El-Elyon Hotel
Ranked #120 of 245 Accra B&B and Inns
“Memorable”
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed over night with my grown up son and the i really enjoyed my stay.
It was my first visit to Ghana, right from the reception, the attendance was good.
My restless son was accompany for his short stroll around the area.
The breakfast was good for me.
Areas that needs improvement are, the single chair upholstery needs to be changed, the intercom in the rom was not working and nothing was done after I reported, could not plug the kettle in d room due to no socket or adapter.
I will definitely stay there in my next visit regardless of the minor faults.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Accra, Ghana
Reviewed May 18, 2013

The Caveat: hotel rooms in Africa tend to be expensive and really bad value for money when compared to many budget hotels in Asia. Accra is particularly expensive when you consider what you are getting in return. I am assuming that background when assessing my stay at this hotel.

The room was fine by local standards - nice large bed with a good mattress and plenty of pillows although the bathroom was a little battered looking. As usual, the cost was huge compared to elsewhere in the world, at US$90 per night or $85 if you booked online.

THey had a desk and chair in the rather small but adequate room. Hot water did not work the first night but they fixed it after some significant lobbying from me. I kept getting demands for payment at odd times, like when I booked in late at night when the banks are closed and I have just stepped off an international flight with no sleep!

THis is not to say that the staff were bad - the cleaning staff were great. So was the cook. But there were some staff who kinda hung around and would do not very much for you except grunt in reply when you greeted them, who I guess were family members, whose attitude just did not belong in any place of hospitality.

Breakfast was ok - egg and bread with butter and jam. THe bread was actually quite good. But it was the same every day. There was a kettle in the room but no way of connecting it to the wall. WHen I asked for a plug adapter, I was basically told that they are not supplied - so as I am a tea addict, I went and bought my own down the street.

The real downside was when they tried to charge me US$36 to launder 6 polo shirts, a pair of socks and 2 items of underwear. By the way, there was no price list supplied but I would never have suspected this price. The owner "explained" to me that they were charging $5 to launder each polo shirt because of American visitors whose clothes were slightly damaged demanding compensation of $100 for each item. He expected me to believe that - try getting 50 cents out of a hotel owner in Ghana as compensation for anything like that!! I suppressed my choaking with a mixture of laughter and annoyance - I have long ago stopped calling people on their nonsense in this part of the world as it frequently offends - and therefore pretended to believe him.

Apart from the laundry, it is actually one of the most reasonably priced places of its kind in Osu/Oxford Street area, if you are staying a few days but not for a longer stay.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Dantheman123456
Lodz, Poland
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Rooms seems to be nice at the first moment but blood stains and wholes on the bad sherts, lack of bulbs in the lights, hairdryer that doesnt work or cockroach in the bathroom give real view of the comfort.
100$us for that is too much.
For me hot water and big bed was a nice change after budget african hotels but even that I was expecting more.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank very-sunny
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I spent the Easter weekend holiday in Accra and for the first time decided to stay at a different place other than my usual Frankies Hotel.

Although slightly more expensive, the WIFI service was excellent and free whereas one had to pay for it at Frankies. The room was spacious and the bathroom was pleasantly roomy. There was also a breakfast buffet option with an okay variety of breakfast dishes from cereal to eggs, toast, etc.
The staff were particularly warm and accomodating and even extended the breakfast time for me the morning after I arrived as I was so tired from my trip. When I needed to change some currency on a sunday when the forex bureaus were all closed, one of them even accompanied me to a local place to do so.

The downside was that there wasn't a great variety of TV channels but overall, it was a very pleasant stay in the heart of town at a reasonable price. I have already booked El-Elyon for my next stay.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 104 (single room) and I liked it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We were glad we checked out early from the next door Blue Royal to move here. The El-Elyon is better value. Most of the staff are charming and helpful. The aircon worked well. The WiFi was generally reliable. Breakfast was variable and limited - some days there were cornflakes and bananas and somedays not - the staff did their best. For a country with abundant delicious and inexpensive fresh fruit it is a pity that hotels like this don't provide it. If you don't have dollars in cash surcharges are heaped on the bill. The hotel uses a dollar/cedi exchange rate that means there is the equivalent of a 12% surcharge if you pay in cedis. I was first told I could pay in dollar traveller cheques with a 6% surcharge plus 12.5% VAT - then when I presented an Amex travellers cheque I was told it could not be accepted. Later I was told it couldn't be. Try to pay in dollar cash if you can. The location is great. I grudgingly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Simon1944
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I recently stayed at El-Elyon for 8 nights. I tried to call ahead to reserve a room but the connection was poor. I emailed the personal email account on the website though and got a response the next day. I was told the room rate was $100 USD, but was $80 with the TripAdvisor discount. (Room rates are also posted when you arrive at the hotel.)

I was in a single room that contained a full size bed, an armoire, a desk, a flat screen TV, a small safe, and a mini-fridge. Connect to the room was a private bathroom with toilet, bidet, bathtub, sink, mirror, towels, soap, and hair drier. Please note that the shower head is hand held like most showers in this part of the world.

The room was clean, not fancy, but I also wasn't expecting much. The bed was extremely comfortable. More comfortable than my bed at home.

There were many lamps in the room but they weren't all plugged in. In fact, I could only find one outlet in the room. This served my purposes fine, so again, this wasn't a drawback, just want to help others set reasonable expectations. (The outlet had an adapter in it that all plugs could be plugged into you, US, European, British, etc.) They have a generator to compensate for the frequent power outages in Accra.

There was free wireless internet available throughout the hotel. They gave me the password when I get there ... but I still couldn't really get it to work. I didn't try long though because there was an unsecured network that had a great connection that I used instead. I was able to stream videos and have Skype video calls without any issues, so it was good internet.

Breakfast was available everyday from 7 AM-10 AM for free. Breakfast consists of toast, juice, coffee, tea, and fruit served buffet style. If you want the kitchen staff will make you a 1-2 scrambled eggs, some chicken sausage, and a small salad. I highly recommend this. Just let them bring you whatever they have that day. Don't necessarily try to order something specific or you will likely be disappointed. If you don't eat pork, don't be afraid to say so.

The hotel has a great location. El-Elyon is right next to the Ivoirian Embassy, so if you have business there, it is really the best location. There is also a money exchange place a couple meters away that had quick and good service. There are a number of food options around the hotel, from the fancy Dynasty and Bella Roma which are both steps away, to fast food chicken and pizza about 2-3 minute walks away. Places like Epos are a 10 minute walk away.

Safety-wise, I have no complaints. I'm a tiny female and I'm used to being harassed a lot in West Africa. I didn't have any problems in this regard even though the hotel staff knew that I was staying there by myself. They never made me feel uncomfortable and I never felt unsafe while in the hotel. Although, one of the the employees did ask me for money twice because she "was hungry." That was pretty odd.

So what's the bad news? Two things.

1) I specifically asked if there was an airport shuttle service before arriving and they said yes. The night I arrived they were no where to be found because my flight had come in two hours late. When I called them, they said I never showed up and that it wasn't their fault. They said they would see if they could find someone to come get me. I called back 30 minutes later and they agreed to send someone. Leaving Accra, I asked if they could give me a ride to the airport to which they responded, "maybe." I told them I would check back in the afternoon when I needed to leave. When I did, the official response was "Oh, our driver just left. We can help you get a taxi." Lesson learned: They don't have airport pick up even if they say they do. The hotel next door, Royal Blue Hotel has a van dedicated to airport pick up. El Elyon does not. Also, they made me pay for the taxi that they took to come get me the night I arrived, the round trip fare nonetheless (for a total of 30 cedi). This is why when I was leaving and they said they would arrange the taxi for me to the airport I said no thanks and got one on my own for 10 cedi.

2) Payment options. Before arriving I also specifically asked if I could pay by credit card. They said yes, of course. Upon arriving, all the credit card stickers are on the door. Then they asked for a deposit when I arrived and I handed over my card and they said, "We prefer cash. Our machine is broken." They really just prefer cash. If you can, pay in cash, but pay in USD. The room rates are set in USD and it cost more to use their exchange rate of 2.4 if you pay in cedi. They did eventually take my card begrudgingly and applied a 6% surcharge. But, I was staying there for 8 nights and had time to wait. If you're not in that position, go with cash. Also! I paid my bill in full two days before I left, so I cannot comment on how long the check out process took.

You should stay at El-Elyon if:
* You want to stay mainly in the Osu neighborhood,
* You need to visit the Ivoirian embassy, or
* You want to be in a decent hotel that is noticeably in Accra (instead of a beach resort that could be placed anywhere in the world)

Note: I used to be a Peace Corps volunteer in West Africa, so my standards may be different than most.

Room Tip: There were people smoking on my floor which was annoying. Didn't think to ask for a room away f...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Skyfire24x
Wadsworth, Illinois
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I have been staying at this very hotel at least twice a year for nearly 15 years each time l travel to Ghana. My experience at this hotel has been wonderful. The staff there are very respectful,and helpful. They have always attended not only to me but to every guest that arrives at the front desk at my observation. My luggages are always carried to my room after that long flight. The rates are one of the best if you are on a budget and travel there frequently. The proximity to everything area in Accra is the best. The rooms are very clean.

Room Tip: Corner suites are larger and sunny.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business