“It was hard to leave!”

Ranked #9 of 238 Accra B&B and Inns
Muskegon, Michigan
“It was hard to leave!”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

At first i was hesitant about booking a room here. But after my first day, I had no regrets. The hotel is very modern, quiet, clean, secure with ample staff. The front desk staff was a very beautiful young lady who was a wonderful help. The food was tasteful, the room includes a Full breakfast buffett. The Wifi was fast enough that i was able to call back to my office in the USA with VOIP. I clocked some downloads at 3meg and 1meg upload. During peak times it was slower.
I had the junior suite which could easily handle 3 adults. The Junior suite includes a couch and a chair. The balcony was facing the pool. I enjoyed myself so much that i extended my stay.
This hotel is located in the affluent neighborhood of Accra.

Cons: far from Downtown 30 minute drive, Had a small water leak from the bathroom sink. Told the manager about it but it was never fix. The TV channels had no CNN or Aljeerza, which was a first for me in Africa. No news channels from the USA.
The elevator Was not in service, i was on the 3 floor. There were workers, to carry your luggage.

Overall when I return to Ghana, I will stay there again. I plan to bring a group of tourist from the USA next year.
The workers here seem very happy which is a testament of the ownership. My actual rating is 4.5 stars.

Room Tip: Pick a top floor. Hotels.com had a great deal, stay 3 nights and the 4th one is free.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
8 Thank 1037thebeat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
London
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed several weeks for business and the service excellent. The breakfast offers a wide variety of options, and the coffee is the best (And I do know my coffee). Service at breakfast could be better especially with the waiting time.
The rooms manager and the food and beverage manager are continuously supervising the quality of the service. Was able to get a majority of my requests completed on time.

With regards to my experiences of hotels in West Africa (stayed in Sierra Leone and Nigeria-Lagos), I believe The Aknac has the potential to be one of the best modern hotel in Accra Ghana, once the "teething" problems are sorted. For example the Lifts was not working (had to rely on aids to help in taking my shopping to my room which often resulted in Tips) nothing wrong with giving I guess.

Being a avid cook myself, Interestingly I was able to order off the menu in the restaurant with the chef able to prepare a modified version of the list of the food provided. The staff made me feel at home, with some of my weird but "necessary" request like food by the pool side and constant supply of water in my bedroom.

This is a real 4.9 ;) star hotel in Accra.

I would recommend it to even Obama !!

Room Tip: Get a Room with a pool view, you might get more than you bargained for ;)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
11 Thank Terrence H
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Absolutely wonderful stay for myself and my business partner. We travel throughout Africa frequently and our usual hotels would be The Golden tulip or one of the other more well known hotels. On this occasion, we decided to have a change from the norm and visit The Aknac, which was a great decision for us! I do not usually go to the trouble of doing reviews but felt compelled to share my view of this place.

The atmosphere is so relaxing especially in the evenings after a long day. They have a really nice music playing, scented candles burning and very comfy cosy chairs in the lounge area. Most of our business was conducted in downtown Accra where the busy life of Accra is..(inclusive of the high pollution levels) and generally quite chaotic nature so it was a pleasure to return to the hotel every evening. We had a company driver and although initially concerned about journey times, found that once we were able to jump on the Accra- tema motorway, we were able to get downtown relatively quickly. However, please be warned that if you visit Ghana for business purposes, the city is always full of traffic especially during rush hour periods so my advise is to set out on your journey in good time so as to avoid traffic jams!!

We generally ate out downtown in the evenings before going back to the hotel so my only experience is of breakfast. I found it generally very nice, we had lots of local fresh fruits in addition to the hot items to get us ready for the day. The restaurant is a beautiful open space with a stunning crustal curtain to add to the effect.

I had a standard poolview room which was comfortable and although simple, was tastefully done. My bed was firm which helped me to sleep well and was essential for the trip. The bathroom had high pressured hot water which was great!
there is a pool area with a nice bar to sit and relax with a drink. If I had to be picky, I would say that it would have been great to have a tennis court but i was told this will be completed shortly.

The most unique aspect of this hotel is the staff. They by far, are the final icing on the cake that made our stay perfect. We felt so welcome that it was like coming home each evening. Customer service was just brilliant. They were efficient, courteous, warm and very professional individuals that made us feel at ease and safe. This includes all departments from the cleaners, reception, waiters through to the security and management.

I would definately recommend this place to others and will reurn on my next trip

Room Tip: Pool view nice
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
10 Thank salema m
Ireland
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Generally very good. A long way from the centre of town with traffic. Took over an hour from airport one evening, other times, this took about 30 minutes. Staff generally very helpful. Unfortunately very bad service on our last day meant we had to leave without lunch, despite letting them know what time we were to depart & ordering 45 minutes in advance. No aircon in the gym - or at least no-one to be found to turn it on - this was on the same day as we left, so perhaps there was a staffing issue. I'd still recommend this clean, safe hotel with reliable wifi.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
9 Thank EFit
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I trave a lot and stay in hotels all over the world. Being a frequent traveler to West Africa I am aware that hotels can be hit and miss. I discovered The Aknac Hotel while I was already in Ghana. My business partner and myself first went there to check the facilities before we risked leaving the current hotel which we were not entirely happy with. We were very happy with the helpful and friendly staff and the clean / new nature of the hotel so we decided to try. We ended up staying there for the next 3 weeks and we will always go back there. They have ample parking and car hire / taxis and travel are easily arranged. It is perfectly located so that you can get anywhere within the city or out of it quickly and safely. It is also perfectly located if you need to travel to Tema Port also. The owners are British and are some of the nicest people I have ever met and they truely understand and try very hard to have all customers happily satisfied. I love them! Ahem... We love them... :)

Room Tip: All rooms are really great.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
12 Thank James C
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I had a wonderful stay in this fabulous hotel. I stayed in a poolview jr suite and slept very well. Room service was prompt with all meals well prepared. Staff are well trained at this hotel which is an asset given the poor customer service skills very apparent in this country! I felt very relaxed, safe and comfortable within The Aknac and would definately recommend to others.

• Stayed September 2012
12 Thank cmatthews123
Reviewed September 27, 2012

The service at the aknac hotel was superb customer service was brilliant
I loved the decor and atmosphere was great . Facility was good clean pool, 24hr access to the gym which was very useful . I loved the breakfast and security was friendly

• Stayed August 2012