“Love this place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Ranked #11 of 223 Accra B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Love this place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

Absolutely beautiful hotel, lovely ambience, nice food especially the breakfast, brilliant efficient staff couldnt fault them at all, they were always on hand when needed, all in all a great stay, definitely going back for Christmas.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
10 Thank Cynthia O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Norfolk, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

I had a limited pleasure of staying in this hotel while traveling to various countries in Africa. I feel obligated to share my experience in order to let other people to make informed choice while considering staying in Aknac hotel.

Location:
The hotel is located in a residential area quite far from downtown. if you take into account traffic in Accra it feels even longer to get to some location of interest so make sure that you have extra money for taxi. taxi drivers typically do not bargain but you can "rent" them for several hours and then you can negotiate the price.

Building and amenities:
The hotel was built recently which it is quite visible. The design is very raw and ascetic. It does not feel comfortable to seat in the lobby. It reminds rather a regular apartment building than a hotel.
There is an elevator but... it was not working. Be prepare to carry your luggage.
There is a swimming pool but due to weather I did not see anyone using that.

Restaurant:
Eating at the restaurant was our bigger fear. Since the hotel is located far away from anything, we had to use the restaurant twice. In one instance the burger was raw and packed with ginger and I can only suspect why. Waiting time for food is surprisingly long taking into account that there were not a lot of people. Overall, food is not a strong point of this hotel and you may choose eating in a shopping mall which is located 10-15 minutes away by taxi.
The restaurant serves as well breakfast but the choice is limited (5-7 items). You have to come with a plate to a chef (?) and decide what you want to get on your plate. As far as I enjoy breakfast in hotels, I did not look forward to eat what was served there.

Rooms:
The room I (and my friend) got was quite spacious. However, you could feel quality of items is very low and some things were already damaged or worn (keeping in mind it is a new hotel). The bed was very hard but I have to say that I liked that since I felt comfortable and slept well. The room was equipped with a TV and AC.
You are given only one key (a card) to the room which is very inconvenient if there are two or more people staying in the room. I could not take a shower if my roommate was expected to come back to the room. It was very annoying especially in the morning when I was coming back from breakfast and I had to wake him up to let me in. Power is off if the key is not in the room.

Service:
I had mixed feelings concerning service. I believe that they were trying to do their best but there are sever points that make this facility not fully a hotel.
First good things. We came early in the morning and we were given temporary space to put our luggage and refresh ourselves. Employees were overall very nice. However...
Room service was below any expectations. Some of trash on the floor waited two days to be cleaned up despite we requested service every day. Soap, shampoo and toilet paper were not replenished till the last day when I went and asked a receptionist to provide some.
It took a long time to be serviced by a waiter or waitress. It was surprising since there was more of them than actual guests. Once, I was given a menu by a leaving guest since he saw me sitting for a long time without being served.
I want to emphasize that they were very nice but incompetent.

Overall, if I ever come back to Ghana, I will not choose Aknac hotel since even budget motels and hotels in the U.S. provide much higher standard especially in terms of service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank IKaeRI
TheAknacHotel, General Manager at The Aknac Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Dear Krzysztof R,
Thank you for your recent review of The Aknac Hotel. As an establishment who strives to exceed each and every one of our guest’s expectations we are sorry that on this occasion we have not fulfilled your requirements.

You stated in your review that our hotel design is raw and ascetic. As I am sure you can appreciate, architecture and interior design will be perceived differently by each and every individual who encounters it. Our decor is contemporary and bespoke and although that may not be suited to your personal taste, the majority of our guests choose to stay at our hotel for the interior design alone. Our website is very visual in showing our guests exactly what each space looks like in order to help them to make an informed choice.

We are a new establishment and are as yet unfinished in some areas including the elevator as you rightly noted. We have many porters on hand however to assist our guests with their luggage.

We also carry out periodic maintenance on the hotel and employ local craftsmen to design and make our bedroom furniture. We believe in supporting the local community in which we reside and are sorry that these fixtures and fittings were beneath the quality of which you are used to.

It is unfortunate that you found our choice of breakfast limited; we have taken your views into consideration and have extended our breakfast menu to suit our guests.

We appreciate any feedback from our customers, so we are unsure as to why you did not approach any of the management team regarding your ‘long wait’ for food or your ‘raw burger’. We cannot deal with any problems if they are not brought to our attention. We would have been more than happy to deal with these issues had they been mentioned.

Again, the same goes for room service which is carried out daily. Had we been made aware that your room had not been cleaned we would have carried this out straight away.

We value your custom and are sorry that you felt a disservice from us on this occasion.
All of your points have been taken into account and we will address each one of them.

Kind regards
Adjoa Adusei (General Manager)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

First time in Accra n I picked this hotel based on reviews here and boy was I impressed? Just first class customer service, I was picked up at the airport, welcomed with a drink while at reception checking in and very courteous staff all round from room cleaners to just really everyone. Lovely food as well so didn't need to go out looking for alternative meal at all. I'll highly recommend this hotel to anyone that wants to be spoiled :-)

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank Joseph T
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

The hotel is some distance from the airport, I'd say over an hour. Accra is a city which has poorly planned roads, so a journey that should take 20 minutes can take up to an hour. Traffic is a perennial problem in the city so be prepared.

Location

One thing I didn't expect, was for the hotel to be so far away from town and for it to be down a dirt road which is extremely bumpy and dusty. I later discovered that this is standard. The gov' puts all it's efforts into paving major roads, but residential streets and side streets are a last priority. This hotel is situated in a wealthy suburban area surrounded by enormous houses but also opposite is a number of uncompleted buildings.

The hotel is too far away from town, but this is reflected in the price. To get to anywhere, you have to be up very early to beat the traffic. Lucky for us, we had a taxi driver which my uncle arranged for us to have at our disposal so we could rely on local knowledge on how to get about the city.

There is nothing to do around the immediate area of the hotel, no shops - nothing! The only way to get to anything is by taxi. No buses (tro tro as they are called locally) pass by that area.

Hotel

The hotel itself is lovely. The staff are friendly and helpful. Room service is good but it would have been nice to have the bed sheets changed more frequently, but that's a minor thing. Some water in the rooms would also have been appreciated though if I recall correctly, they did supply coffee and tea, but no milk. There is a fridge in the room so you can stock up but because of the location if you just want to get provisions you have to take a taxi about 20 minutes into town to get basic things.

There is a lovely swimming pool, but it's quite small and the figure 8 shape of it, doesn't allow for proper swimming. It's more a chilling pool than for anything else.

We had 2 notes put under the door to say the management were going to put on a party for the guests, which never materialized, but instead they put on a party for what looked like school kids and their teachers. It was lovely to watch from the balcony. I had no problems with this at all except that we couldn't join in.

The mattress is a little hard, but I prefer it that way as it provided good back support. Pillows could have been plumper, but it's a minor issue.

Wireless internet was good for a few days, and then cut out completely but was then restored but was only available in the lobby area for the last 7 days of our stay.

Score:

I'd give this hotel a 3.5 out of 5. Staff were friendly, hotel was nice, but it looses a point for being too far from town. I would say it's more suited to couples/friends. I'm not sure I'd want to bring children here as you'd have to plan your time very well to avoid hours and hours of traffic to get anywhere, especially in a hot taxi.

It looses half a point for the internet not being fixed, the AC going down in the lobby areas outside the rooms for at least 5 days and for not providing water in the rooms - in a hot country, this is a must.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Caroline A
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

A wonderfully relaxed and beautifully designed hotel with great attention played to detail. The place is comfortable for guests and I slept very well. The service was professional and efficient during my stay, internet access was fast/ reliable and I was able to have my business meetings within a lovely private area of the bar which was great. I ate in the restaurant daily, the meals that I had were tasty and breakfast was a nice variety of choice. Although ghana is making good progress, accra city centre is a hectic, busy and heavily polluted place, therefore we found that the hotel was a haven at the end of a busy and stressful day in the city..the location was perfect for us. All in all a great trip and I look forward to returning to the aknac hotel! Thanks to all the wonderful staff!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
9 Thank LondonBella1979
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

Staff are bright, cheerful, professional yet friendly. I immediately felt relaxed when I arrived at the hotel. Some of the reviews I have read stated that the hotel is in a bad location, however if you know Accra well you realise that it is actually a 'Very nice hotel with the perfect location'. I noticed that traffic was the problem when travelling between the hotel and the city centre. What in actuality is probably a resonably short drive can be hindered by the traffic jams that occur every now and again.I am a regular visitor to Accra and decided to visit the hotel after reading about it on the web. I am very proud to see this type of hotel in Ghana. It resonated the growing stregnth of the county. The owners have taken the time to create a beautiful hotel with a lovely ambience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo