“Good business hotel”

Movenpick Ambassador Hotel Accra
Ranked #2 of 92 Hotels in Accra
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I stayed at the hotel attending an oil and gas conference. I have used other hotels in Accra before, but Movenpick Ambassador offer better facilities than other hotels I have used, but is significantly more expensive as well.

The pool area is great. I did not use the pool but the area around the pool is great. A park in a busy city.

The breakfast restaurant has good choice. I never tried the even buffet, but had a small meal late evenings with a South African whie wine of good quality. The bar allowed smokers and I stayed away.

Rooms are clean and well maintained. Key to the door is required to get the lift to work. Don't forget the key in the room, but reception is quick to give you a new key.

Internett worked as it should at a high quality hotel. No cost of using it either.

The meeting room facilities were good value.

I found the service level in the reception excellent, little bit slower and less focused in main restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Nadja M, Rooms Division Manager at Movenpick Ambassador Hotel Accra, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Dear Sir

Thank you very much for staying with us and for sharing your experience with other travellers. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back one day and hopefully you then will have to time to enjoy our big swimming pool.

WIth best regards
nadja

There are newer reviews for Movenpick Ambassador Hotel Accra

Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

I love Accra and this is anything but a Ghanaian experience. But for a busy business trip it offers everything seasoned international travellers expect. One tip: stay away from the Chilean Sauvignon Blanc and go for the South African instead. They only have this at the bar but will bring it to the restaurant.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank NTLondon

Dear NTLondon

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your time in Accra. Sorry you did not like the Chilean Sauvignon Blanc - we will take a note for our next wine list review. This feedback is much appreciated.

Once again, thank you and we are looking forward to see you soon back in Accra.

nadja

Reviewed April 11, 2014

On business, with offices close by, there really is few other choices in Accra. The facilities are plush and impressive with dining & bars akin to a resort. Breakfast & dinner buffets are an impressive spread of just about everything. But service, quality & taste is a little lacklustre, although not compared to other African cities. Rooms are well-laid out with expected facilities. A superbly huge pool area with all the facilities. All you need - not much else to say.

2  Thank RamblinJoe

Dear RamblinJoe

It was a pleasure hosting you during your stay in Accra and I would like to thank you for the time taken to complete this feedback. Great to hear that you enjoyed your time and we look forward to welcome you back one day.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

We currently live in Accra so have used this hotel for day use several times and once for an overnight stay. The pool is beautiful and other aspects - lobby, restaurant, etc. are also nice and hard to beat in Accra. However, it's a 5 star hotel that I find quite lacking and inconsistent in their upkeep and service.

For example, during our recent overnight stay there, we found some staff especially the hotel wait staff Yakubu to be amazing and I agree with an earlier post that the man who does the shoe shine is also very sweet and always smiling. However, the male receptionist didn't seem to be able to offer even one smile and was very matter of fact about the whole check in transaction. After checking in, we noticed that our bathroom had a dirty Q-Tip on the counter and the bathrobes were dirty. I tried calling reception several times with no answer so I went down to ask my bathroom to be cleaned. The same receptionist barely apologized, but did offer to change rooms, but not the same pool view although the hotel didn't seem at full capacity at the time. We decided to stay in our room and have it cleaned while at dinner which they did (they swept the very dusty floors), but the q-tip was still there when we returned. So we had to ask for housekeeping again and this time I think they actually did clean the bathroom instead of a quick wipe down which is what I think they normally do.

The staff at the pool such as Yakubu are sometimes very friendly, but usually are very overstretched and rude. We once came a bit later than one of our friends who had already paid for us and when we tried to explain at the pool entrance, the staff member said in an accusatory tone that no one had paid and then when we insisted that our friends had, he said okay you will have to show me because no one has paid me. Once we walked over to our friends, he said oh yes, okay you did pay me. More than once they have had only one staff member to service the entire pool so the service is very slow. They often don't have beer stocked even though it's on the menu and more than once the pool servers have had to tell me that I will have to wait for my beverage because they have run out of club beer at the pool bar or the coffee machine is broken. There is clearly a management issue here.

Lastly, the food at the restaurant is just okay and the wine selection terrible. I think management has a lot of work to do to get the service up to the standard of the surroundings. This hotel gets good reviews because it looks good and has a beautiful pool, but if you look at the service carefully, it's consistent at best. Management needs to work harder and get things up to a higher standard and please hire more people at the pool so the ones working there can do a better job! We'd like to keep using this hotel especially as it's one of the only good options in Accra in terms of location and swimming, but it's hard to pay so much for such poor service.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank InLoveWithTravel21
Nadja M, Rooms Division at Movenpick Ambassador Hotel Accra, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Dear Mr. & Mrs.

Thank you for the time taken to share your feedback. I remember the incident very well, as I spoke to you in the lobby on this evening. Please allow us to contact you directly as we sincerely would like to reinstate your trust in our hotel.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Awesome place and only decent service in town.
Ghana is a great place but never expect good service except here.
Great food, great accommodation and awesome pool.
Location central too and a great fun place for events too.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Daveirie
Nadja M, Rooms Division Manager at Movenpick Ambassador Hotel Accra, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Dear Daveirie

Thank you for spending a relaxing time with us and indeed, we are an oasis in the middle of the hassle and bustle. We are looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

I stayed here on business and found the hotel to be suitable for my needs - great lobby area for meetings, fairly reliable internet (though no internet outside, only in lobby / rooms), and a very large pool for relaxing. Hotel staff are extremely charming (e.g., the shoeshine guy in the front lobby is so sweet, always smiling and while I don't know his name, he should win some type of customer service award for being so welcoming) and helpful. Where the hotel lacks is in consistency in service and attention to detail, especially for a '5 star hotel.' For example, if you order an iced tea at the pool and iced tea in the lobby, you will get two very different drinks. Minibar in my room was never restocked, I had to call for soap several times and the gym doesn't have water for guests which I find strange. The attached 'deli' which is open until 11pm should probably close at 6pm when they run out of food.

When my flight was overbooked and I needed to check back in to the hotel, it was a hassle to secure another room at my previous rate - it ended up working out but the initial response was "I'm sorry - I can't override the system" when it should have been "Let me see how I can figure this out for you."

So basically this is an expensive five star hotel, clean and comfortable, but still a ways to go to work out the kinks to be on par with other 5 star hotels in the Movenpick chain. I hear other good options in Accra include the Best Western and the new African Sun Hotel in Airport City. I attended a meeting at the African Sun Hotel where colleagues were staying and while I did not see the rooms, the rate is much cheaper and the service seems to be just about the same (or better).

1  Thank 721RobertS721

Dear Robert S.

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your feedback with other travellers. We do appreciate your comments as they will help us to improve our services and facilities daily. Thank you!

In regards to your “unplanned second stay” please do accept my apology. The hassle sourced from the corporate rate you had booked initially and as per contract the actual booking has to come from the office. I will discuss with my team to display more flexibility in such unusual cases, once again – my apologies.

Nevertheless, I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and I remain with

best regards

Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

A friend of ours recommended Movenpick for our stay in Accra. We were extremely happy to have chosen this hotel. The staff are great! Always smiling, always helpful. They never said no to any of our requests. The room was clean and there was no noise. It felt like home for the few days we stayed there. I have only a small little concern that is regarding the pool. My baby got sick with rotavirus after I took him in. Of course the management cannot make sure of the hygiene of guests but they must keep the pool as clean as possible as it is a favorite kiddy spot. Other than that the ambience, food and everything was great. I would definitely recommend to family and friends.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Palwascha J

Dear Palwascha J

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your compliments about our team, I will pass it on.

Regarding your comment about the swimming pool we were concerned and immediatly re-checked all our records (we do measure 3x per day) for the chlorine levels and all were in line with international standards & guidelines?! I doubt the cause was the pool and we do hope that your son feels much better and we are looking forward to welcome you back.