“A True 5 star”

Movenpick Ambassador Hotel Accra
Ranked #3 of 90 Hotels in Accra
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I'll admit, this was far from what I expected upon my arrival in Accra. It's a true, modern, luxury hotel in the city. The grounds are secure and very nicely appointed. The rooms were luxurious. The staff was friendly. The pool was very nice. It is however quite pricey.

I was actually there in July 2012.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Billy P
Nadja M, Rooms Division Manager at Movenpick Ambassador Hotel Accra, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear Billy P

Thank you very much for your time to share your feedback and your stay. We are glad you enjoyed your time here in Accra and we are looking forward to welcome back hopefully soon.

Nadja

Write a ReviewReviews (1,097)

Reviewed January 9, 2014

It was the fourth time I have stayed at this hotel (Jan 6 - 9, 2014).
My review of almost 1 year ago was very positive - although I did complain about the price back then too, but almost dismissing the cost as the norm for this part of the world.
My recent stay was not as enjoyable...
The hotel remains 'up-market' in it's look and feel, the rooms are clean and the wireless (speed) remains acceptable... However, the customer service seems to have taken a dive, and the non-availability of common items in the dining areas and bar was an embarrassment for me - having to entertain guests.
The bar ran out of mango juice (in Ghana of all places), they were not able to make a Mojito - even though it's on the menu (no clue to what they ran out of), in the outside bar (on an earlier night), there was no fresh juice available (although listed on the menu), out of 7 ice tea flavors, they could only supply 2, and the list goes on.
At a 'corporate' rate close to $340 a night, I'll doubt I'll be going back there for a while... It just doesn't seem worth it...
Labardi Beach Hotel is just as comfortable, and the rates are better...
Movevenpik just seems like a pit of a gamble.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank ZA_Andre

Dear ZA_Andre

Thank you for your loyalty and for choosing our hotel again for your stay. We do regret that your last stay was not enjoyable and the points mentioned have been addressed with the team & management. Please rest assured that we will take corrective measures.
Should your travel plans bring you back to Accra any time soon, please do let me know as I would like to apologize personally to you for the negative experience you had this time. (nadja.mueller@moevenpick.com).

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I stayed at this hotel and enjoyed my stay. It is located in a good part of Accra, so getting around is not that bad. The service is pretty good as well. Everyone accommodated all my needs and we did not want for much. There are not too many other top options in Accra for nice hotels. Also, the food at this hotel was pretty good. The Ambassador burger is the best. The breakfast buffet is so massive, finding food should be pretty easy to find. The service at the pool is kind of weird. There are grown men on roller skates serving food to you. I think they got this very wrong. There is a bar that plays pretty good music at night. The mixed drinks are not up to the standard of most high rated hotels. Also, our room was kind of dusty when we first entered. Overall I liked this hotel. I stayed at another hotel and Accra and this one was far superior.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the backside of the hotel on the Presidential Floor. You will have a good view of...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Kscorreia

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us.

We are glad that you enjoyed our services. We noted your comment about the roller skates but we are actually very proud of our team who provides a fast & entertaining way of serving our guests. Also the New York Times have rates Accra the No. 4 place to see 2013 and mentions our roller skaters which they are very proud off. Once again, thank you for your time to complete your feedback and we are looking forward to welcome you back on your next trip to Accra.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Spent a morning by the pool and was very disappointed in the service. Went to the bar myself 3 times in 2 and a half hours as did others by the pool as the waiters were chatting amongst themselves. At other pools in Ghana waiters approach you to check if you need anything and to take your orders. Here you feel like you are disturbing them. I also felt the music was inappropriate. It was 10 am in the morning with kids around and they choose to play shatta wale singing about P**ssy and p*m p*m- maybe okay in a bar at night, but not at a family pool. I chose to come here instead of la palm for a change, but now thing it best to stick to what I know. I do like
The Movenpick, but don't think I have ever had a trip here where everything goes smoothly. The food is nice and I did enjoy my lunch when it got here, and the pool is both a good size and clean.

• Stayed: January 2014
Nadja M, Rooms Division Manager at Movenpick Ambassador Hotel Accra, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Dear Akosua A.

Thank you for sharing your feedback once more and we are very sorry that you had to experience the lack of attentive service. Your feedback has been shared with the F&B Director and corrective measures will be taken. We also have taken out the music which was playing during your time at the pool. Once again, we truly hope that your next visit will be up to the standard we promise to our guest.

Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Buffet used to be amazing here and very competitively priced with other resorts in town..however now the service has dropped drastically and the buffet menu has cut down.by 5 times...the pool is amazing thou and thw gym is nice too...but no to buffet

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Amritmirpuri

Thank you for your stay and for the time taken to share your feedback. Please do rest assured that your comments are shared with our Food & Beverage Team and that corrective steps will be taken to bring the standards back.

I remain with best regards

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Superb quality in every way. Great hotel.
Staff are great, efficient and friendly.
Rooms are excellent. Beds and pillows / duvets are lovely.
Clean, modern rooms, big windows, good views. Quiet.
Very nice pool. Funky bar.
Only problem was the A/C starts making a noise in the middle of the night. A problem with a valve in the roof space. This happened in all three rooms I've stayed in.
Great buffet dinners / breakfasts. Good sandwich shop / cafe.
Best place in Ghana.....by far.

Room Tip: Get a high floor, over the pool.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear Ritfor

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and we are glad you enjoyed your time here.
Currently we are running a maintenance program on all A/C's and we pay special attention to the valves to avoid such inconvenience in the future.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

This hotel looks amazing. The rooms were a good size but they were not cleaned very well. The air conditioning only cools the room, the room temperature was set to 19 degrees Celsius, which was way too cold and took 4 days for the room to warm up to 22.
The food was average quality.
The pool area was clean and the service by the pool was good.
The business centre needs work and is not helpful.
For many people in our group, room keys continually failed to work correctly.
If you are after an overpriced hotel this is it.
I would not recommend a stay here as it is far overpriced for what you get.
There are far better options for a more reasonable price.
Think twice before paying too much.

• Stayed: November 2013
Nadja M, Rooms Division Manager at Movenpick Ambassador Hotel Accra, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Dear Troymf

Thank you for the time taken to share your feedback.

We constantly drive to improve our services and comments such as yours are of great assistance and are taken serious.

I wish you a wonderful start into the New Year and we do hope to welcome you back in 2014 to show you the true Swiss Hospitality.