“Murphy's law I guess”

Movenpick Ambassador Hotel Accra
Ranked #2 of 91 Hotels in Accra
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Stayed at the Movenpick Ambassador a few days ago. Hotel is well appointed, well maintained and spacious. Lovely big pool and the front desk staff are friendly. Cashier is slow and seemingly not too experienced. Despite being a Movenpick hotel I therefore decided not to pay by credit card. Room 735 is at the presidential floor, and the floor and room are nice and modern. WIFI is rather slow and sketchy. However....above this room there is a generator or a AC unit roaring away so loud its very difficult to sleep or hear the TV set (again: very nice!). Avoid this room. Ordering food at the pool was another trial: it took 50 minutes to get an ordinary Accra burger, and when it finally arrived it was cold. I was surprised the otherwise nice staff never apologized or offered me another burger. As I insisted not to pay for cold meat they just sent me another bill without any comment. Fitnessroom is very decent, and the bar nice and offers good service. Guess I was just unlucky.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Rob K
StuartChase, General Manager at Movenpick Ambassador Hotel Accra, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Dear Rob K,

Many thanks for your review following your recent stay at our Hotel. At the outset, please accept my sincere apologies for the noise problems you experienced in room 735 – having just read your review, I have immediately asked our engineering team to investigate and ensure that the source of the noise is located and rectified as a matter of urgency.

Whilst I was pleased to read you kind comments on our facilities and staff, I was nevertheless disappointed with the poor service you described at the poolside and I will now be sitting with our Food and Beverage team to review our menu selection as well as our overall speed and standards of service. As you mention, the pool is a lovely area and it is a shame that you had to endure such shoddy service made worse by the fact that you were also not offered an apology nor another burger.

Rob K, we are normally very proud of the service and facilities we offer to our clients however it is clear that on several occasions during your visit we fell short of our normal standards for which again I apologise. Should you be travelling to Accra again in the future, please do contact me personally on stuart.chase@moevenpick.com and I will gladly make a reservation on your behalf and ensure that you enjoy our true Swiss hospitality throughout your stay.

My thanks again for your feedback.

Kind regards,
Stuart Chase

Reviewed November 3, 2012

The Movenpick Accra Ghana ticked all the boxes. Comfort, professional and friendly service and great dining. ' The dining provided several options in terms of choice of food. The pool and facilities were great and the waiters on rollerblades a treat. The rooms were well thought out as well as having the most incredibly comfortable beds with beautiful linen. The gym facility is great and has a good view over the swimming and entertainment area. Tennis was an alternative option as well.

Melanie

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 1, 2012

This is a newly built hotel well-located for airport and business in Accra. The rooms are very comfortable but unexceptional and the restaurant offers local and international cuisine to a good standard.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed several weeks for business and the service excellent. The breakfast offers a wide variety of options, and the coffee is the best. Service at breakfast could be better.
The rooms manager and the food and beverage manager are continuosly supervising the quality of the service.
The staff made us feel at home,
This is a real 5 star hotel in Accra.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Carolina H
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I was in Accra on business and stayed here based on a friend's recommendation. I checked in on a Sunday and relaxed by the pool all afternoon. The pool side is a family attraction and there are lots of kids running around, but it did not feel intrusive at all. The pool area is a large space. I would certainly book a holiday here. There is a good gym and health club as well. The staff are friendly and very helpful. The Movenpick Ambassador has a great feel - home away from home. I would definitely recommend this to everyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank NicoleBanks
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I was assigned a room at the far end of the hotel which essentially did not have any functional wifi coverage. Request for a router was not honored because they had borrowed all in stock. Rooms were not clean either. Made a mistake of walking barefoot on the floor to find my sole black ! Windows did have view of the pool but had to cleaned to make it visible. I liked the hotel buffet, which included sushi rolls to Ghanain dishes ! The pool side bar is also nice!

Room Tip: Ask for the ones overlooking the pools but not the one towards the far end of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank HotelCritique111
StuartChase, General Manager at Movenpick Ambassador Hotel Accra, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear HotelCritique111,

Many thanks indeed for your valued review following your stay with us in February. Please do accept our apologies for the problems you experienced during your visit - earlier in the year we did indeed experience some challenges regarding our Wifi coverage however I am glad to inform you that since then we have installed a number of additional Wireless Access Points throughout the property and our coverage has improved immensely with guest feedback on this issue being, to date, very positive.

We have also shared your comments regarding the room cleanliness with our Executive Housekeeper and her team and they will now be reviewing their standard operating procedures accordingly to ensure that our rooms are cleaned consistently to the standards which we are normally proud to offer.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the buffet and our pool side and please do contact me personally on stuart.chase@moevenpick.com should you be travelling to Accra again in the near future as we would like to have the opportunity to show you our true Swiss hospitality.

My thanks again for taking the time to bring these important issues to our attention and we hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards,

Stuart Chase

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Attended a 3-day conference and the food was great! Workers were prompt to provide the solutions that were required during my three day stay. Great and really spacial.
Outside noise not present on the inside.
Cool poolside