“awkaaaba!”

Movenpick Ambassador Hotel Accra
Ranked #2 of 90 Hotels in Accra
Reviewed December 6, 2011

the movenpick ambassador ,was a gem in accra,was on a 4 day fact finding mission on how to start a business in ghana ,the rooms were very clean and of a world class standard airconditioning was fantastic,wireless internet worked all over the hotel which was rare in africa ,i.e by the pool,restuarants and lobby and that is wide coverage i tell u,hotel was well kept and the staff were always very helpful with a smile,but was it me or it smelt damp by the passage on 5th floor?the gym and suana was perfect save the odd light bulb needed at sauna,and i didnt understand bathsize towels handed out while working out, smaller towel would have been ideal,would have loved gym to open at 5am for early birds like myself ,the instructor raymond gives a wonderful world class stretch after work out which i cant recommend enough,tell him i sent you. the fare at restuarant was nice , a buffet spread that was just a bit shy of the standard at the weatherby or southern sun lagos ,but nice enough if you are not a foodie,but must commend Nana yaw who arranged traditional fare after being bored with buffet ,she arranged with kitchen to send me kpapor shitoo,white rice ,plantain and grilled tilapia ,hmmmm felt like home ,totally nice lady with a care for guest,the hotel endulged my fetish for new clean towels as often as i asked for them which was nice ,also loved the bathroom slippers!
jemima osai, she was fanatastic with my numerous bothers on questions and requests like storing my bags,reseting my room safe,changing the bed when i complained,arranging transports and maps to far off places like pram pram all done with a smile and wasnt artificial like was expected of hotel staff world over,she was truly a help away from home,she even recommended some ghana hiplife music! which was totaally cool ,kudos also to staff like kwesi at front desk and bell boys ,eric and micheal who also were always helpful and always made me feel at ease in a strange country.i readily recommend this hotel and will be back in january,bit pricey but best place to stay in accra.

Room Tip: 5th floor poolside view
8  Thank jibola304026
Write a ReviewReviews (1,097)

Reviewed December 4, 2011

I really enjoyed every bit of my stal with movenpick. in fact is the best hotel in Ghana. Michael was really good to me during my stay. he is such a good guy.
many reasons to return

5  Thank jikl h
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights on a business trip and was very impressed. Friendly staff who took my needs very seriously, e.g. ensuring that I had internet access after midnight by sending an IT helpdesk person. Rooms were very clean and comfortable, good food, and an efficient business centre which was useful for me as I had quite a bit of scanning of documents to do.

If you can afford it, would recommend it!

Room Tip: If you need to be in the centre of Accra, then this is a good place to stay.
3  Thank linday243
Reviewed November 9, 2011

This hotel blew me away from the start. After living and working in West Africa and traveling extensively across Africa, this is probably the best business hotel I've stayed in. From the impeccable taste in decor, the delicious food, to the fast wi-fi in my room, I've been pleasantly surprised at every encounter. The fitness center is huge and clean as well, I truly feel like I am in a 5 star hotel. Gorgeous! So happy to have this in Accra. The beds are incredibly comfy too with down comforters and pillows.

10  Thank iamkasiaNYC
Reviewed October 18, 2011

I usually stay at another hotel in Accra (also in the 250 USD range), but wanted to try out Movenpick that opened up for business early this year.

Overall the staff was very friendly (not quite common in Ghana hotels) - this includes everyone from bell boy to restaurant staff and check in. The check-in went fast and trouble free.

The superior room had a good size, comfy bed, clean nice bathroom with all the extra stuff you need (and dont need).

Breakfast next day was on level or beyond many European hotels in terms of choices and included.

The hotel has a night club/lounge type bar with loud music serving a wide range of cocktails. It seemed popular with both locals and foreigners. The music could not be heard outside the bar.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Under_many_stars
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I spent 4 nights at this hotel while attending a wedding in Accra. We earlier on checked into another hotel but could not stay more than a night because it was not up to our usual standard.

Right from the time we entered the lobby till we departed, it was a delight. Check in was easy and very informative. We requested for late check out on our departure and it was granted without any fuss. We were even served a welcome drink.

Positives

The Hotel/ Room: New, tastefully finished, well decorated and stylish. Our room was well appointed, very clean, airy and of the standard that you'll find of an upscale 4 star hotel anywhere in the world. The bathroom had all the amenities including bathrobes, slippers, and a bathroom scale amongst other stuff. There was an iron in the room which was very pleasing to me because i always want to do my own ironing myself. We had a bottle of complementary water in the room as well as a choice of quality tea and other beverages. There is a kettle for you to make your own tea/coffee

Location: The hotel is located at the centre of town, at the heart of the business district. It is opposite the National Theatre. You can take a stroll around the hotel easily. The airport is about 20 minutes away and 10 minutes from Osu (the popular area where you can shop, eat, exchange money etc. The KFC at Osu is particularly good!)

Breakfast: Breakfast was great. One of the largest choices of food that you can get; from cold meats to cooked meat, to nuts, fresh fruit, cereal and some local food, you’ll have a filled day. The staffs were responsive and served with a smile.

Business Centre: I was also very impressed with the service that I got from this department. I sent a document for scanning. It was promptly done, returned, I appended my signature and they rescanned for me and sent to my mail box. In this way my business did not suffer while I was on this short holiday.

Service: I cannot commend the service enough. Every staff that we had contact with was genuinely pleasant and ready to serve. Wendy and Abigail at the reception epitomises the service at the hotel

Negatives/ Improvement

None!! The hotel should however speed up the commencement of their in- house shop service. I had to go out to buy some toiletries that I needed urgently

Recommendation: I strongly recommend!!

Room Tip: Ask for the pool view room. Very nice!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank MissMot
Reviewed August 27, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for the first time in August, we were supposed to have stayed there for one night but we ended up extending it for another night. We loved it so much that we booked to come back for our last 3 nights in Accra.

The hotel location is fantastic. It is just opposite the National Theatre, the Cal Bank and Accra City Centre is easily accessible by taxis and buses just outside the hotel.

It has very quiet surroundings, you wouldn't think you are in the city centre, the lobby is very welcoming, the decor, the ambience, the space is very nice.

The Front-desk staff are particularly helpful and nice with impeccable manners. What we liked most was the restaurant, the buffet breakfast was very good, with a lot of variety, and very well-spread desserts.
The buffet lunch is a must. It costs about GH 45 cedis but it's well worth it.

The gym is another place to go if you enjoy working out and after that you get a good stretch from the well-trained staff. Again, if you enjoy swimming, their pool is a good place to chill out in the afternoon. They have a good poolside bar as well that I will highly recommend.

The rooms are cozy and comfortable with Spanish style bathrooms and are very clean as well. They supply you with endless bottles of water to keep you hydrated.

I have stayed at various hotels in Europe including the Ritzs of Paris, Marriott Champs-Elysee, Marriott Marquis New York, Marriott Eastside Manhattan, The Ritz Carlton, the Hyatt right down to Golden Tuilip and the Holiday Inn. In my opinion and experience, I will rate the Movenpick Ambassador Accra to the likes of the Ritz Carlton Arts Hotel in Barcelona, A five star hotel in the Olympic village.

All the staff are well-trained, very helpful, polite and very friendly yet they get things done, when and how you want it.

Although there is construction work still going on, don't let this spoil your stay or holiday. On the whole and all in all, it was a very nice place to stay.

However, one negative point is that, there is a smell outside the hotel coming from the drains . This problem needs to be addressed either than that, the hotel experience was very good

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business