“THE " ALMOST " BOUTIQUE HOTEL”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Villa Monticello

Villa Monticello
Ranked #4 of 91 Hotels in Accra
Budapest
“THE " ALMOST " BOUTIQUE HOTEL”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

If only......the dream continues, ...........the owner would care more !

Wonderful location....excellent food...super sleep quality...nice individual service staff, like Aysha Suleiman (who made my day), but total lack of boutique atmosphere.

The Terrace restaurant staircase will kill the most daring guests, if they are not already have died out of boredom in this hospital like waiting room.

Please, .....please .....create an atmosphere and I will be back ( like many others will ), paying for your expensive rooms, with pleasure.

If you need some more flowers or plants for display, please call me!

Room Tip: You will sleep well...whatever....
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
CG_Meares, General Manager at Villa Monticello, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear AndyBud1977,
Many thanks for your review, as you know were are a young hotel, we are still growing and improving the concept. We are surely building a character around our brand and its customer comments and contributions like yours that will help us achieve that.

We are grateful you took the time to pen out your expectations.

Bring us some exotic flowers on your next trip,

Best regards,

Charles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

If you're looking for a small, elegant, boutique hotel in Accra, then the Villa Monticello is for you. The accommodations, food and service are excellent, and the staff goes out of their way to make sure your needs are met. It's located close to the airport, and they have a car available to help get you around. It's simply a great place to stay!! There's a pool so kids have an activity and massages are available in your room.

Room Tip: Each room has a theme so read the descriptions.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Hppcds,
Many thanks for taking the time to review our Hotel, we are happy to have been of service to you and your family during your trip to Ghana, West Africa.
My Team and I surely hope to host you again at Villa Monticello next time you are in Ghana.

Many thanks and best regards,

Charles Meares
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

I went to villa Monticello the first time by "mistake" because the movenpick hotel was fully booked... Guess what? Never been anywhere else since. Pricing is much better and the rooms are extremely clean and beautiful with different context. Stayed at the soho, last emperor and Marrakech rooms and they all have this different and unique atmosphere. Bathroom are very nice and the people are very well looking at every details to make ur stay as wonderful as it should be.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Hamet,
Once again thanks for making us your new choice in Accra, we are happy to cater to your "Luxury on Business".
The Team at Villa Monticello is glad to have been of service and will be looking forward to seeing you back on your next trip.
Wishing you well on your business ventures,

Best Regards,

Charles.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

A slightly overdue post but I'd be doing fellow Trip Adviser users an injustice if I don't share!

I convinced two European friends from my uni to visit Accra with me in April just before our uni final year exams. It was their first ever trip to Africa. The Africa they knew was what the media showed (hunger, sickness, poverty etc) and in stark contrast to the happy people, atmosphere and great culture I'd described.

I'd read the reviews about Villa Monticello on here and it had been personally recommended by a few people. My uncle insisted we stay with him so didn't stay at the hotel but made it our daily destination for food and drinks...my friends couldn't get enough and we're planning a return trip soon and will not miss out on staying there and experiencing the full hospitality.

So what was different/special about Villa Monticello? The ambience, the service, the people...I thought it was a brand new establishment but found out it wasn't. Not many establishments in Accra maintain and offer that consistent great customer experience. My friends and family describe me as picky so for me to talk about and post a comment about my experience says a lot. We went there a number of times during our stay...great food, excellent service, friendly team and well kept hotel.

To the management and team...thanks for the experience. My friends now have a different view of Africa, I had an amazing time. I'll be back soon!

Ps. We were all no more than 21 years but didn't get treated as kids as typically is the case (you get served last and talked to/treated differently)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jermaine A
Dear Jermaine A,
Many thanks for your review, we are all glad your friends went away with a more informed view on Africa and that Villa Monticello and her Team contributed to that.
We surely hope they will all want to experience more of what Africa has to offer...
See you on your next vacation, and please call in to say Hi,

All the best,

Charles
The Woodlands, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

This is one of the rare ones where I have struggled to link the Trip Advisor rating and ranking with the reality I experienced. To me this is a place were they have a great idea that is spoiled with the execution and the details, in particular when you look at the price (also can't link it with the TA rates, mine was well north of $300 per night).

This applies to the room, the food, processes....the rooms are nice, actually very nice but there are only 2 electric sockets wher multiplying extension are connected, in my case one was not working and it was the one for the clock, hard to understand how they missed it, curtains that don't close completely, only one night stand, the wireless connection is slow and spotty. The food is either perfectly presented but not at the right temperature, or a bit short on the presentation but good to the taste.

They charge a 4% surcharge when paying with a credit card, I wonder why not build it in the rate or offer a discount if you pay cash, just not a very boutique way of presenting it.

That being said, the staff is friendly and provides good service, perhaps is just a matter of training; the swimming pool and facilities in general are very nice and is very conveniently located close to the airport.

It could easily be excellent with a bit of focus on details to ensure value for money.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Carlos A
CG_Meares, General Manager at Villa Monticello, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Mr. Carlos A.
We would like to thank you for such a constructive review, your comments have been circulated to the entire staff of Villa Monticello. We value your contribution as a young Hotel, we strive to reach the ultimate in guest satisfaction and best standards. We have already instituted some of your suggestions regarding the finer details, we could have only wished that your stay was longer for you to witness. We however wish you will stay with us on your next visit to Accra to experience us once again. If I may bring to your attention that the single nightstand in the Twin Suite you occupied is so by design, we however are looking at installing individual reading lights for the separate beds.
We thank you once again for choosing Villa Monticello and hope to see you again.
Kind Regards,

Charles G. Meares
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

Beautiful hotel, with wonderful staff trying their outmost to make you feel welcome! BUT, hotel facility forever booked out for private functions, thus hotel facilities are not available to paying guests. During my stay a private pool party was on going, loud speakers blasting outside my windows, possibility of relaxed evening absolutely not achievable. It is evident that management is only interested in renting out every square inch of the hotel to the public to increase their profits and absolutely does not care about the guests. I have tried to stay here 3 times (this equates to over 28 nights) and most certainly will not be returning back. I am tired of being stuck in my room and having my peace disturbed by greedy hotel owners!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
10 Thank TiredTraveller230613
CG_Meares, General Manager at Villa Monticello, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Tired Traveller,
Firstly I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused you during your stay with us. It was rather an unfortunate coincidence that on all your stays there has been one event or the other.
Being a predominantly business Hotel, we have numerous Corporate Clients of both local and international origins across a wide spectrum of industries. In reciprocation to their support we usually grant use of our courtyard or restaurant as a venue for corporate dinners or cocktail events. The Poolside event that you mention in particular was a 3 hour cocktail event for an international banking entity and was intended to end at bout 8pm. Due to traffic related delays it started an hour late hence ending an hour later.

Due to sentiments such as your own as well as our desire of pleasing our core customers, we have put in place firm guidelines for any such future events. In addition to the said measures the new annexed Terrace Cafe and Bar will be able minimize interference as well as free up guest spaces such as the poolside and restaurant.
We are confident that the situation will be much better when you next visit us. I would also like to offer our sincere gratitude for your continued and unwavering support over the the past months.

My Best Regards,

Charles G.Meares
Bellville, Western Cape, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I nice small cosy place to relax after a days work. Very friendly and helpful staff. Comfortable room and nice pool to cool down!
Overall very good location to the airport and Accra CBD.
Nice selection of meals on the menu in the restaurant.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business