“Akwaaba - "Welcome" is the True Greeting at OSDA House Home Lodge”

Osdahouse Home Lodge
Ranked #3 of 250 Accra B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Pricing: I selected a single bed room and was very pleased with the price USD 45/night (they also have other rooms and a 2 bedroom flat). Seth and Dorothy, the owners, offered Wi-Fi and use of their 110 volt laptop at no additional price.

Also included was a great morning breakfast starting at 0730 hours. Eggs, bread or toast, pineapple and other fruits slices, juice, coffee, teas, and instant chocolate drink were provided every day. What really impressed me was their diabetic strawberry jam and orange marmalade on the breakfast table. Breakfast was a good time to meet other guests from the USA, UK, Finland, Burkina Faso and other countries.

Place: Very comfortable bed, different keys for the room and for the wardrobe cabinets (which included a mirror, hangers, drawers and shelves) were provided at check-in. A desk and chair were nice especially for storing all the gifts and trinkets I bought to give to family and friends after returning home. Each room has a self-controlled air conditioner with automatically rotating up and down vents (or static if so selected) and a turbo to increase AC air flow. I think the AC was programmable down to 16 Centigrade (61 Fahrenheit) and there was also a five-speed ceiling fan.

A western style and very efficient toilet was always clean. Hot water for the shower and soap were available (you should turn the heater on an hour or two before showering and turn it off after your shower - to help save energy). Shower drained very well - a bath mat was also available.

Rooms are serviced every day except Sundays. They changed my beddings quite often with a different patterned bedspread each time. My room had marble floors and an inside window and outside window, both with drapes.

A mini-fridge was in my room and it easily held sixteen 500 ml water bottles (holds 1.5 liter bottles as well). Laundry service is available, quite reasonably priced and if turned in early in the morning its ready in the afternoon. An LCD TV was in my room, best reception in the mornings and evenings; but CNN, BBC and Al Jezzera, local TV stations with music and I think soap operas were viewable.

The OSDA House has a very large generator that starts up when the city's electricity goes down (a couple times while I was there and then generator kicked back on very quickly). There is a patio area with games on the tables. There is a conference/meeting room with a big screen TV, 110 converter box and a microwave.

The OSDA House has 24 hour CCTV surveillance with seven or more cameras. Concertina wire surrounds entire compound and I always felt very safe; double locked inside hinges at the entrance to the OSDA House - push the outside ringer and they will promptly unlock it for you to enter.

People: Seth, Dorothy and every member of their staff were consistently friendly, courteous, kind, helpful and thoughtful of their customers. Seth picked me up at the airport and gave me a short tour of the main area of Accra and ultimately returned me to the airport for ten dollars each way. Seth helped arrange for me to volunteer at the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital so I could learn more about HIV/AIDS in Western Africa and especially Ghana. They also put up holiday lights on one of their trees as I was there 11-21 December 2012. One of the staff let me attend a charismatic church service with him. English is spoken by most people I met in Accra; however, my Twi name (local language spoken by over seven million people) is Kwadwo which means I was born on a Monday - see the group picture of the four Kwadwo's.

TIPS: Get a copy of their business card for trips back as it has phone numbers to give to taxi drivers to call for directions. Negotiate the taxi fare and agree to a fixed price before you get in the taxi (then give them a tip on top of your fare and make their day - tipping is not the norm in Ghana). OSDA House will direct you to where to get a taxi. Look inside the OSDA House buildings to appreciate a variety of paintings of Christ's life from a Ghanaian viewpoint. Get your immunizations especially yellow fever or they will not let you enter the country. I never got sick the whole time I was there but was tired after working at the teaching hospital.

Give the staff a gracious gratuity when you leave, remember Ghana is a third world country and the tip will be appreciated and for me, each and everyone deserved it (I gave Seth funds to hand out to the staff for me).

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank BrockDaBadger
Osda H, Owner at Osdahouse Home Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

It is gratifying to observe the exent that our guests will go to review our facility. This is indeed a comprehensive overview of what truly happens at Osda. The pictures of the grounds and the extension are superb. hanks for your candid comments.

There are newer reviews for Osdahouse Home Lodge

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Stayed for five days at osda a couple of weeks ago. It was a home away from home. I traveled as alone to Ghana as a female and was nervous. However I felt very safe and the location was wonderful. I walked around the neighborhood alone multiple times and felt so safe. The people of Ghana were lovely. My husband and I will stay at Osda when we return and wouldn't stay anywhere else in Accra. Thank you Seth and Dorothy!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Osda H, Owner at Osdahouse Home Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

We are very conscious of the challenges people face when they travel into a new environment. Our goal is to make people feel at "home" as much as possible at Osdahouse.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Seth & Dorothy are lovely people and amazing hosts, with plenty of stories and jokes.
I felt very welcomed from the minute Seth picked me up from the airport.

The rooms are clean and tidy, breakfast tasty and plentiful and the staff are very friendly and helpful.

The best place in Ghana.

John, England

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Osda H, Owner at Osdahouse Home Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

It is gratifying to observe that people are finding Osda House to be truly a home away from home.
We believe that making someone feel at home in a new environment is essential in the hospitality industry.
We are grateful to all those who take time out of their busy schedules to write a review. We love what we do at Osdahouse.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

We spent 2 weeks traveling in Ghana and Osda House was hands down the most comfortable, clean, lodging we had. The price is very reasonable for Accra standards and you were just enough away from all the hustle and bustle of the city without being too far off in terms of distance. Seth and Dorothy's service/hospitality are second to none and you feel welcomed and safe as soon as you enter the grounds. We liked it so much we stayed there on the first and last nights of our trip. I highly encourage travellers to stay at Osda House if looking for a clean, quiet, safe, hospitable environment.

Brett & Theresa, CANADA

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brett8989
Osda H, Owner at Osdahouse Home Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

We believe in a clean environment for our guests and our goal is to give our guests the typical Ghanaian hospitality combined with efficiency and respect. We aim at making Osda House a home away from home.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Our group stayed at Osdahouse during a recent visit to Ghana for a service project. The owners, Seth and Dorothy, were so kind, welcoming and helpful. Their guest house is clean, comfortable, and very well-run. The staff is polite, friendly and so helpful with our bags and anything else we needed. And at the end of each long day in the heat, our room was clean, cool and welcoming. If you are considering a stay in this area of Ghana, you would be hard-pressed to find a nicer, more reasonably priced, convenient place to stay. And you will not find nicer people than Seth and Dorothy. We learned so much from them.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Parker L
Osda H, Owner at Osdahouse Home Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

We are grateful for guests like you who go out of your way to write a review. People like you push us to do a better job and treat everyone with respect and decency. We consider this a labour of love.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I found Osdahouse to be an extremely homely & affordable place to stay. The rooms are spacious & Dorothy & Seth go out the way to help you in any way they can. They introduced me to a local Taxi driver called John who spoke good English & really was an asset to me whilst travelling around Ghana. I have paid more for accommodation in Africa & received less, so would highly recommend this place to the budget conscious traveler, To Dorothy & Seth & your friendly staff
keep up the good work & hope to see you soon.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank bobbybass65
Osda H, Owner at Osdahouse Home Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thanks for staying with us and taking time to let people know that the discount is already in the price and the service. We are pleased that you took the time to let the world know. Please come back on your next visit to Ghana

Reviewed October 29, 2012

The room is very comfortable, the area is a very pleasant part of Accra (not as busy as the centre, yet not too far off from everything), the staff is very friendly and best of all are the extraordinarily helpful owners, Seth and Dorothy. They made us feel very welcome and helped us with finding our way around Accra, and to our next destination on our travel. We can recommend their airport pickup service - Seth combined it with an informative tour of the city.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Valentijn G
Osda H, Owner at Osdahouse Home Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Thank you so much for your review. We are an outfit that is trying hard to make all who stay at Osda House have a taste of the Ghanaian hospitality. We believe that clean environment is crucial to the hospitality industry.
Thanks again