“Mirage Royale Hotel Accra”

Mirage Royale Hotel
Mirage Royale Hotel
Ranked #102 of 264 Accra B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 9, 2012

1st time I stayed here, a good friend with good taste recommended it. I was glad I took his word. The hotel offers very good value for your money and is nicely tucked away in a spot in Accra; yet just 10minutes away from the airport!

2nd time I stayed here reaffirmed my belief that you can get quality in West Africa without pretensions. It was authentic and I left feeling like the staff were genuinely there to make my stay a pleasurable experience.

THE GREAT:

1) Very flexible range of rooms and suites - I saw single rooms (which are really far better than many hotels I know); other fantastic suites that can cater for large groups/family staying together. I think this is a unique move.

2) If you book with them (as I did before my visit), you actually get an airport pick up! This is brilliant for the foreign guest to Ghana like me! Takes the stress out of travel logistics trust me!

3) The rooms I stayed in on both visits (The Ambassadorial styled suites) were just that: Ambassadorial and excellent for the serious business traveller. Beats virtually ALL other hotels I have stayed at in Ghana to date....including some so-called big names! Essentially 1 large room with a separate large living area/lounge fully furnished.

4) The service was quick and I think the whole staff seemed professional, friendly and clean.

5) Safety was easily something I felt I could trust in their hands. I really didn't think about that at all....bearing in mind I have been in some African countries as well as other far flung hotels around the world. Mirage Royale strangely felt more homely for me than most

6) Met the senior management by coincidence on both occasions and I feel like I could do business with them if I ever had the privilege to. Ms Ginette, the GM is so hands-on and pleasant, you want to give her a big hug every time you see her.

7) General decor in the rooms I stayed in were very good and the quality of furniture and fitting were quite good too.

8) I liked the hotel's location - close enough to the hotel and all major parts of the city and shops etc yet quietly tucked away in a corner far from the maddening crowd so to speak. This will suit the traveller who relishes a very nice, private yet homely hotel to stay at in Accra.

9) Prices of the room service was very reasonable and the quality and range of lunch and dinner menu very acceptable. I am a teetotaler but observed a well stocked bar on both visits.

10) The price is set just right for both the corporate client and private one too. Staff are very helpful too.

NOT-SO-GREAT

1) I still think the range of breakfast menu could be improved - and I said so. I am confident though that knowing them at this hotel, it would be taken seriously;

2) The bathroom drain is another low score for me. Again I am sure this will be taken care of. This was a shame because the bathrooms are very good and clean in this hotel. You only really notice if you are finicky (like me) about your shower drain emptying fast! I don't do slow.

3) As I am in the telecoms solutions business, I guess it harsh to judge the hotel. But I felt I could deliver solutions that were obvious, cost effective and readily deployable. It was a little annoying the comms service was not quite up to par for the serious business visitor. But then most other hotels suffer the same issue anyway.

4) The hotel business centre is not really a key part of the business strategy of the hotel in my view but I sensed they were working on improving it. Anyway, I want to chill out not carry my work so....

5) I missed a little fridge to chill stuff in but I am sure you won't miss it much since the staff are always ready to sort out your needs.
On balance, I would score this hotel 8 out of 10 and will definitely choose it for my next visit to Ghana. Recommending it is easy too as I am confident that guests will be looked after satisfactorily. You can't help liking the staff too. Great ambassadors for what they do! What more can I say?

Room Tip: Any room classification in this hotel beats most of same category in Accra (from what I know though...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Willo678

Reviewed March 31, 2012

THE GOOD:
1) I had a single room that I stayed in for 8 days. The decor is attractive, with a very nice bathroom. Bathrooms are my thing. If a hotel doesn't have a sparkling bathroom, I'm not staying.
2) Reception staff were very courteous, pleasant, and attentive, including a gentleman called Justice, and a woman whose name I didn't get, but she has a passing resemblance to Diana Ross, and I told her so. She was quite pleased.
3) General Manager Ginette C. Symenouh is obviously committed to quality and customer satisfaction and she personally inquired how my stay was going and if I had any issues. I did, and she promptly attended to them.
4) Good pool and patio area for eating or just relaxing. There's a bar with some serious alcoholic beverages for guests who drink (I don't.)
5) Nice breakfast spread
6) Very pleasant dining and room service staff, including a young man by name of Eric and another gentleman who I believe is the supervisor and was always there in the morning to greet guests.

THE NOT SO GOOD:
1) A problem with the shower stall, however, was that the drain was slow. I don't enjoy standing in a puddle of rinse water. An attempt by the plumber to fix it was partially successful, but I think the problem is in the basic design of the drain, the aperture being too small.
2) The closet in my single room didn't have the conventional horizontal metal or wooden bar to suspend the hangers from. There were only three hooks in the ceiling of the closet for the hangers, which I thought was strange. I was told that this was unique to the single rooms. They added 3 more hooks at my request but for the future I believe the general manager is going to have horizontal bars added to all closets.
3) No iron/ironing board, but they will press your clothes for you.
4) Laundry didn't return with my items when they were promised on one occasion, but they were prompt on another occasion.
5) Room service was slow on one occasion, although I have to say I've experienced that in hotels all over the world, not that I'm condoning it.
6) I'm accustomed to seeing a handbook of some kind welcoming the guest, describing the mission statement of the hotel, listing the menu of services, etc. but there wasn't one here at the Mirage. I recommend it because it looks professional. Presentation is everything.
7) TV reception for local Ghanaian channels was bad. I've experienced this in other Ghanaian hotels, so I'm not sure what the problem is.
8) There's some renovation going on so there are some unsightly sections. Even though there are some signs up apologizing for the inconvenience, I would recommend discreetly covering the piled-up furniture that was present near one of the staircases with some kind of tarpaulin so it won't be such an eyesore. At any rate, this is a temporary situation.
9) The Wi-Fi wasn't reliable and I didn't use it. This is an issue that seems to plague many hotels in Ghana. I think it's because there are not enough routers for the size of the facility.

It's a relatively new hotel and so it has great potential to become top-notch. Despite some of the misgivings mentioned above, I do recommend it and I would also return to it if needed on a future visit.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank KweiQuartey
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Exceptionally helpful staff and management that is pro-active and tries to help the customer.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 18, 2012

To my dismay I was glad to see my name boldly written on a beautiful placard decorated with the hotels name with the ever smilling bearer who is supposed to be the driver i guess was waiting for me at the arrival hall just to pick me alone to the hotel. ten minutes later we were at the hotel where i was served with freshly squeezed pineapple juice, the reception i was given alone assures me that i will have a great stay and am so so glad i did. By far the best run hotel in Accra. Smooth, friendly check in. No room hassles - everything went like clockwork. Everyone living in this hotel that i spoke to during the period I was there agreed that the beds were the most comfortable found anywhere in the world! Food was good, great breakfast but the sheer numbers of guests really kept the staff on their toes. All in all a great way to end 3 weeks in Ghana. Definately on my next trip I will be at the mirage, but i hope this great service doesn't change.

Room Tip: Ask for a discount and the General Manager will give you a good deal.
Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 11, 2011

I had booked the hotel over the phone and I had specifically asked if it included breakfast and I was told it did. Only to get there and to be told that their double room only had breakfast for one person. The staff we dealt with was very rude and went as far as shouting on us. We kept getting told one thing and all for them to turn around to say another thing. The manager agreed to honour the breakfast but I found her rude and condescending. The bathrooms were extremely mouldy, the water pressure was non existent. We actually did not have water in the bathroom on the second day and the plumber had to be called in. The cleaners always forgot to bring in clean towels and we had to make the calls requesting them. The only plus of this hotel is the fact that it is near the A and C Shopping mall.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank KappaLondon
KathrynSlev, Manager at Mirage Royale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2011

Thank you for choosing Mirage Royale hotel and staying with us earlier in the year. Our hotel take the views of its customers seriously, and is disappointed to read about your "bad stay" with us.
In reading your experience with us, we noticed that there was a misunderstanding that led to this confusion. All our rooms and rates include breakfast. Our Mirage rooms (furnished with a double bed) include breakfast for one and this is clearly stated and explained on arrival. In your instance, you came as a family of three.
Our Hotel operates on the premise that the guest is King at all times and was happy to waive the cost of the 2 extra breakfasts for nights to be spent at the hotel. Our normal check in time is 1500hrs but we accommodated you when you arrived early in the morning.
The hotel keeps a tight maintenance schedule and always has on site maintenance personnel in emergency cases or when complaints are made.
We also provide the standard set of towels, and extra towels are always available on request.
Allow us to always serve you better by returning to visit at any time.

Reviewed August 7, 2011

I stayed for three nights there and had a really good time in the hotel. The standard is really very high (clean, good toilet flash, nice bath tub) and the rooms are pretty big. Any issues arising were dealt with immediately (the air con in the first room was not working so they upgraded me to a better room instantly without making a fuss about it).
The general manager was very helpful - she even offered me her internet stick. The complimentary WiFi is very slow so you can't really work with it. She assured me that they will improve the internet.
The biggest surprise was when I arrived home and found a very friendly email from the MD who read my answers to the questions in the feedback form. She assured me they will deal with everything I have mentioned. Never ever I did receive a direct feedback to my evaluation form in the industrialised world.
So I really can recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: There are smokers and no-smokers, 109 is a non smoker and very big and airy
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Superbaschdi
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We stayed here after a recommendation from US celebrity rapper Eve who was sitting next to me on a flight from Accra last year. She was there taking part in a concert and said that her hotel (Mirage Royale) had been lovely, a lot nicer than the bigger ones that she usually stays in, so I made a mental note to check it out on my next trip and was not disappointed!!

customer service was on point at every stage and the food wasn't too bad either!!

My trip was a short one with my hubby, just two nights, we stayed in their royal condominium which was huge for just the two of us but we appreciated the space all the same. and we had a lovely time.

The hotel is slightly out of town but only a short 15 minute ride from the airport and all the amazing restaurants in the airport residential area like our two faves "la chaumiere" and "michaelangelo". plus with the AnC mall on your doorstep the supermarket, fuel station, art gallery, hair salon etc are all within easy reach.

Rates too are very competitive.

I literally have nothing bad to say, lets hope the service hasn't changed in the months since I was there.

Highly recommended!!