“Worth seeking out”
Review of The Venue

The Venue
Ranked #15 of 277 Restaurants in Accra
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Venue is a cozy continental restaurant in the heart of East Legon. Our serene atmosphere is conducive for all dining types and our menu satisfies everyone's taste. come dine with us.
Baltimore, Maryland
“Worth seeking out”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Highly recommended.

I am staying in East Legon, less than 10 minutes away from The Venue. Based on the reviews here, I decided that it was worth paying for a cab to check the place out. I would recommend doing the same.

The place is hard to find, but my hotel clerk called the restaurant, and they explained the location to the driver who then had no trouble finding it. There is some seating on the patio, but when you enter, the first thing you see when you enter is the bar straight ahead. Most of the indoor seating is to the right; the decor includes an emphasis on dark wood and light-colored walls, with a mix of Ghanaian and European decorations.

What I noticed most was the warm but not overwhelming welcome I got. I was seated right away, and asked immediately what I wanted to drink. My beer (Club, on draft) came immediately. Automatic points! The service continued to be responsive but not smothering. Also worth noting is that bar patrons kept streaming in, and the crowd there (6-10 people I think) were clearly having a good time; not loud but if you were to seat at the bar I think it would be easy to meet the other patrons.

After asking some questions about the menu that were answered to my satisfaction (more points - knowledgeable service) I ordered the seafood brochettes. While waiting for them, olive oil and fresh, warm flatbread were delivered to the table. Unfortunately, I was not very hungry and so didn't dig into the bread right away. The server noticed and asked me if there sincerely was something wrong with the bread. I made a point to try the bread and I'm glad I did. I only wish I had a dining partner to eat some of it!

The brochettes were nice, maybe a little more well-done than I would have liked. On the plate were a small salad, sauteed potatoes (5 cedi extra - normally comes rice or chips), and one brochette each of shrimp, king klip, and squid. Like I said, I would have liked the brochettes a little less done, but they were otherwise very good. I had a Leffe blonde to go with the meal - very glad to have a break from Club/Star/Gulder etc, and well worth the 11.5 cedis.

I was offered coffee or tea but I had to go. I did have a chance to talk briefly with the Dutch owner Tony, though, who was very friendly and open in talking about the challenges that they face in maintaining the quality of the place. So they're not resting on their laurels.

Overall this was a great experience I would recommend a visit to anyone who finds him/herself in Accra. I will definitely make a point of coming back during my next trip to Accra.

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank modibo1

• Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food and friendly atmosphere at the Venue”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

We had a fabulous evening at the Venue. The food was excellent, prices very reasonable and the atmosphere was perfect. Its a great combination of European and African.
Lively and friendly bar and Tony, one of the owners is charming and very responsive.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Trevor K
Accra, Ghana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Want to go back to try more dishes”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

The Venue is a lovely restaurant with nice, friendly service and peaceful atmosphere. The servise can be slow if they are busy but in the time of waiting there is plenty of good wine to choose from.
The fish is always fresh, and the owner comes over to check on you every time without fail sometime during your visit.

1 Thank Soska2014
Antwerp, Belgium
“Almost at home”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

This resumes it for me: You feel home and this is Linda's and Tony's secret. "one is allways very welcome". I'm a flemish Belgian and mostly a bit sceptical with Dutch guys. Tony makes the difference. His best asset of course is Linda his Ghanaian very lovely wife.
They run a great place with good food, a rich choice on beers and wine. Nice staff and cosy atmosphere.

1 Thank Rik R
“An oasis in Accra”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Really nice place owned by a friendly Dutch guy and his wife!
The staff is really nice, welcoming and very attentive. The ambiance is great and the food is delicious. I will recommend it any time. An oasis in Accra!