“Nice atmosphere pizza was not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Venue

The Venue
Ranked #10 of 264 Restaurants in Accra
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Venue is a cozy continental restaurant in the heart of East Legon. Our serene atmosphere is conducive for all dining types and our menu satisfies everyone's taste. come dine with us.
Rome, Italy
“Nice atmosphere pizza was not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Wow, nice atmosphere, full of expats. The appetizers were delicious including hummus, roasted zucchini, and feta cheese. After the great appetizers the pizza was a surprising dissapointment. The sauce somehow was either too little and not flavorful enough or too much, as it might have been better with just cheese and something else. I don't think the pizza was poor just because I live in Italy - I am applying an unbiased open palette approach to the recipe.

Visited September 2013

• Turkish first
Hamburg, Germany
“Thr location was just as hard to find like the burger they served us!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

First I want to say the previous reviews are the ones that influenced our visit to 'the venue'. partner and I enjoy good in general, however we enjoy the kind of food you can't or wouldn't want to cook at home (reasons could be:out of laziness or just to enjoy some nice time out..etc). We have discovered a couple of good local restaurants in and outside of Accra and based on the reviews we were looking forward to adding 'the venue' on the "come back again' list. That however is very unlikely to happen. For several reason, but most and for alwith writing a review shows how disappointed I was.
GETTING THERE:
The first issue is finding the restaurant in itself. In hindsight it seems so easy to get there, but it wasn't. It took several turns, calling the staff and stopping and asking strangers until we finally found THE VENUE. In the end the GPS navigation that got us there( I usually don't like relying on it, but 'hey-ho' it worked). As several people have said before it's more of a residential area and you wonder why they won't at least have a bigger sign that helps the hungry and hopeless know they are about to reach their destination. On that note it could also be that the owner is happy with the Restaurant remaining an "insider" and not attracting every Tom, Dick and Harry. So our experience started off quite poor.

THE LOCATION:
However, once we arrived we were warmly welcomed by the staff. The location itself was nice and quiet ...more reasons why I wondered why the outdoor tables were only two and poorly maintained. ( I hope by now you don't think I am just being unfair, but hey according to the reviews the location was great). I would have loved to sit outside as the weather was just about right in Accra...a nice breezy evening. So once the lady asked us to follow her to our table (table for two) we were surprised by the darkness of the room. As soon as we mentioned this,she turned on the lights and 'voila' the room turned out to be lovely. The dark ,yet warm colors created a comfortable and smooth environment to dine and wine in style. We received the menu and for a change we appreciated the variety of the foods offered.
FOOD & DRINKS:
According to previous reviews the pizza and lobster wasn't the best...so we decided to go for something filling,yet tasty and hard to get wrong ...the classic beef burger with a twist ( in this case it was a spicy beef burger with ham) and for an extra 5er you would get a side of chips. We also ordered drinks...I went for the homemade glass of white wine and my partner had Peroni. The drinks were almost immediately at our table and since there is nothing to say about a bottled peroni...there was much more to the white wine. It looked like cider that stood too long and tasted like some wine that was diluted with lots of water. I was utterly disappointed, since I hadn't had white wine in ages and to taste their 'home made' white wine was a big let down. The only good thing was the temperature of it...perfectly chilled!

We asked for some nuts with our drinks and the waiter was friendly enough to prepare us a small bowl. Which was super nice of them. I would have preferred peeled nuts, but hey the unpeeled did their purpose and kept us busy whilst waiting. After roughly 20 min and an empty bowl we wondered what took them so long. I think 50min later and after asking the waiter whether they had forgotten us, the food finally arrived.

After starving for almost an hour the content on the plate looked tiny. The presentation was great...you could literally see the cheese melting on the meat and the ketchup was served on a cute tiny bowl which made the food look sophisticated. Though I would have liked more chips or some salad on the side, but it was okay.

Now the most crucial and important bit...how was the Burger?
Well....I have eaten one spicy beef burger so far and I thought the chilli was overpowering and made the whole burger inedible. The chilli in this burger was just right, the cheese and ham were delicious, however the huge let down was the minced meat aka burger. It was as hard as a stone (no kidding). I thought it was only mine, but both beef burgers were tough to get through. It just brought down the overall experience at' the venue' considering the aforementioned issues.

OVERALL:
We were asked how the food tasted by someone who looked like the owner...unfortunately by then we hadn't reached the burger . We ate the food regardless...we didn't want more disappointments or waiting time and decided to skip the dessert, though the food was not satsfying at all. ( ended up eating some take away later that evening).

If you have read this far I assume you take reviews just as serious as I do. Having said that...I still think making your own experience is always the best way to judge.

My review is only this long because I wanted to share the good and the bad.

Give 'the venue a go if you feel adventurous.

PS: the toilets were clean and that is very important to me. Also they seem to have a huge variety of drinks ...

• Visited October 2013
New Jersey
“A secret gem in Adjiringanor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Had dinner and watched the Ghana v. USA under 20 game here. Nice flat screen TVs, good bar, good sea food. There was also an outside area with a big screen TV next to the grill. I would recommend. Looks like a popular spot for Americans and Brits living in the East Legon and Adjiringanor area.

• Visited July 2013
Accra, Ghana
“First choice in Accra”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Had been there two times last month with different friends. We tried the starters and the meat section: and again everything was excellent! "The best food in Ghana" one friend said after travelling through Ghana (and having been to nice hotels!)...
Apart from the food I am enjoying the nice european-african atmosphere, the friendly and caring service!! Just EXCELLENT!!!
Will come back next week :-))

• Visited August 2013
Washington, DC
“Best in Accra”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

The food here is of the highest quality by any Western standards and the ambiance is incredible. Everything was of the highest quality and every member of our table was happy with their dish. Fish seems like what they do best and you can't go wrong.

Visited July 2013