“Bad venue for a meeting”

Mensvic Grand Hotel
Ranked #35 of 92 Hotels in Accra
Eugene, Oregon
“Bad venue for a meeting”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

The Mensvic Grand was chosen as the location for a week-long workshop, for a group of approximately 50 participants. The package included rooms and meals, as well as the use of a large conference room.

To begin on a positive note, the courtyard of the hotel is large and very attractive, with a large, very inviting pool in its center. Rooms on the upper floors have small balconies, and I would advise asking for a room looking out on the courtyard, for a pleasant view. The other sides of the hotel look out on rooftops and the neighboring side streets. There is little of interest within walking distance of the hotel, but fortunately taxis regularly pass by the hotel, and they honk to let you know they are available.

The decor of the hotel lobby and common areas seems to be an odd mixture of old-style gilded luxury and fake tree-trunk modeled columns (see the hotel's website for an example). Overall, the hotel interior is in bad need of a makeover.

As others have noted, the staff is largely unfriendly, the desk staff being the worst offenders. They are at best robotic, forgetting to say "hello," "thank you," "you're welcome," the basics of human interaction. Check out was utterly chaotic—two of my colleagues were checking out with me, and even though there were three clerks at the desk, the process took almost a half hour. When I had finally signed my bill, the clerk took the paper and filed it away. When I asked for my copy, he acted like he had never heard such a request, and that took another 5 minutes.

The rooms were quite large, including a desk, large credenza, and a small table with side chairs. Television provided about 20 channels, with a fairly good spread across news, sports, and entertainment channels, however many of the channels suffered from moderate amounts of static. The air conditioner was powerful and quickly cooled the room, but mine produced air that smelled like old socks. The bed was comfortable and clean. No alarm clock is provided. The bathroom was clean and fairly modern. Each bathroom has its own water heater, so make sure you find the switch to turn it on 30 minutes before you plan to take a shower. The hotel provides little plastic tubes filled with watery yellow and green "shampoo" and "liquid soap." I suggest bringing your own supplies. There is a small refrigerator and an electric water kettle in the room along with instant coffee and tea bags. Only one half-liter bottle of drinking water was supplied on my first day. You can buy more at the bar or sanitize your own. The hotel was in the process of installing room safes during my stay, but my room did not have one.

Do not expect internet access during your stay at the hotel. Neither the ethernet cables nor the wifi worked in my room, and many of the workshop participants had a similar experience. The desk staff were either unable to help or uninterested. The conference room did have a strong wifi signal, but bandwidth was so poor that even checking emails was not practical if even only a few people were trying to use the internet at the same time.

There were numerous power interruptions over the course of the week, one lasting several hours, due to a generator failure. The staff were fairly good at keeping guests informed, either by calling room by room or by slipping notes under the door, however, even after the generator was fixed, the power continued to go out repeatedly, for short periods of time, just enough to shut down the LCD projector during presentations.

I had occasion to use the laundry service twice during my visit. The quality of the service was fine, but the staff needs to work on customer relations a bit. I was awakened by a call at 6:30 am telling me that my laundry was done, and both times when my clothes were returned, the person bringing my clothes back seemed to want me to pay cash (a questionable practice), and I had to insist to have the bill charged to my room.

Food was served buffet style, and that seems to be the practice for dealing with large meetings. The food was simply dreadful, so a stay at the Mensvic is a good time to begin a diet. Items varied little from meal to meal and day to day. Often 2 or even 3 of the 6 steam trays contained rice of some type. Other popular items were fish tails (one inch of fish, 2 inches of tail), gelatinous stew, and an extremely peppery red sauce that appears at almost every meal in some form, once as a sauce for fusilli pasta. Desert was universally absent from the buffet, but at a few of the lunches we were served ice cream at our tables, sometimes over fresh fruit. The breakfast buffet reliably provided porridge and hardboiled and fried eggs. As a warning to these planning an event at the Mensvic, the charge for this dismal food selection is 20 USD per person per meal—60 USD per day for food. This alone makes the Mensvic unacceptable for a meeting.

For three of the five days of our meeting, the Mensvic was also hosting a religious revival meeting, which consisted of non-stop, extremely loud religious music interspersed by over amplified preaching/screaming. The enormous speakers were capable of making the walls of our conference room vibrate, and complaints to the management had absolutely no effect—obviously the Mensvic hosts these revivals on a regular basis and probably gets a percent of the sales of CDs and religious books that were on sale throughout the three days. The music continued until 10 pm, and flooded the otherwise pleasant courtyard and many of the guest rooms with noise.

In sum, I wouldn't suggest staying at the Mensvic for any reason, but it is completely unacceptable for a professional meeting.

Room Tip: A room facing the courtyard will provide the nicest view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank mchlwch
Eric G, Manager at Mensvic Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
We are most grateful to you for taking time to write this detailed report on the hotel, as this will go a long way to inform the new management of the hotel to put in place structures that will help improve the services.
We would like to assure you that, your advice on the hotel decorations has been taken seriously and management would endeavor to look at the issues raised critically.
We wish to inform you that the laundry officer at the housekeeping department has been fired after he was proofed guilty by our investigations. His conduct is totally unacceptable and a breach of the standard and policies of the hotel.
We also wish to explain that the power fluctuation which the hotel is presently experiencing is not the makings of the hotel but it rather a national crisis thus all industry and hotels in the country are experiencing this frequent power outages. We have even suffered several damages on our generators as a result of these constant power fluctuations and management had to arrange for an extra generator backup in addition to the two existing generators.
The challenges with the internet are no different as the service providers’ consistently give us unstable services. The service provides have promised us efficient service in the next few months and we hope to replicate
Regarding the meals, we think that your description was far fetch especially on the fish; even though we believe that your opinion on this one is subjective we have however taken it in good faith. Granted that the fish were small as you sort to describe, you could have still gone for more or taken more than you can eat because it was a buffet and not alacate. Meanwhile the menu for your group was a choice which the conference coordinator made out of the wide variety we offered her. I wish to add that Mensvic hotel have several delicious and mouthwatering dishes as it has been commended by previous reviewers on trip advisor.
We wish to express our regret for the unprofessional conduct exhibited by our Front office executives we will however endeavor to continue training the few fine officers while we smoke out the bad nuts.
The management of the hotel wishes to assure all our cherished guest and prospective clients that we are leaving no stone unturned to ensure that better services. We also want you to know that some of these complain are exceptional cases

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Sri Lanka/Colorado
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I have stayed at the Mensvic twice, and the second time was one too many.

The staff is nice, I can't complain about that, but the pre-planning seems to be an issue. I had indicated the need for a baby-cot and this was not ready when I arrived, which entailed 45 minutes of calling back and forth and not being settled. The rooms are indeed spacious and offer a desk to work from - I also had no problem with the beds.

The main reason I would not stay at the Mensvic again is that I had booked them to pick me from the airport (wife and 3 kids), and when they did not meet me at the airport and then they blamed me for giving them the wrong time - when my flight was delayed. Simply- my family is picked up from the airport or we are not and there is no middle ground. They also forgot my wake-up call for my 6 am flight - just unacceptable.

There are so many nice hotels in Accra, why would you ever stay here?

Room Tip: There are better places
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Eric G, Manager at Mensvic Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Guest,
We deeply regret the inconvenience that you went through because of an employees unprofessional conduct , This is certainly unacceptable. we are however grateful to for sharing with us your experience. you are the reason for our corporate existence and we would do all we can to improve the service so that you can enjoy a better stay next time. I would be grateful if you can share with me any other challenges you had with hotel. please do not hesitate to contact me on salesmanager@mensvichotels.com
Sales and Marketing Manager

Travelers are raving about these Accra hotels

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Service is non-existing and staff is extremely unpleasant. Room was not at all clean. Price was most expensive of what we had in Ghana and this was the most horrible experience. Management of hotel is not properly run. WIFI only working in lobby; no internet in room, restaurant or other places despite staff repeatedly said "it was coming". For every question, you have to wait at least 2,5h and several reminders before someone takes time to help you. Never again!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to share with us your unpleasant experience with the hotel, even though we haven’t had any such complains in our evaluation index over a year now, we are however grateful to you and will would take this complain with all seriousness.
Meanwhile, we would be grateful to you if you can furnish us with your full details including the room number and the date you lodged in our hotel to enable us investigate this will help us to improve on our services and also smoke out all unprofessional staffs .
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I worked with the Ministries and had the opportunity to attend an executive meeting in Accra and I was told the venue was Mensvic. Initially I had some reservations about the hotel because it was 20 minutes drive from ministry and was wondering why the organizers did not host the program in a hotel around the ministries. But I later came to comprehend why many organizations prefer that hotel to the others in room ridge. They have a good restaurant, spacious and a well ventilated rooms and corridors with the state of the art facilities. Their corporate rate are competitively better they give client the menus they want and not what they have. They also have a complimentary high speed WI-FI. However there were few challenges DSTV channels, they have the biggest and cleanest pool, good gym Stayed there in October 2013

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Christine M
Rome, Italy
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I spent a week at Hotel Mensvic for a conference. It was a pretty comfortable stay. It was my first time in Africa (other than Morocco) so I was taking things pretty easy. The food was good in the restaurant, the breakfasts diverse enough I could always find something appetizing. The staff didn't often know what was in the food, which was challenging as a vegetarian, but they were always friendly and happy to help find out. I had one issue locking my valuables in the safe, which then gave an error message and I couldn't open it again. The staff acted quite promptly to sort the issue out, demonstrating that they understood the urgency I felt. I did have a few issues with mosquitoes in my room. I would have slept easier if I had a net - these should be provided in a "fancy" hotel, I would think.

The location was a bit far out of the centre. However, there was a nice music bar with live music about 2 blocks away - Cafe Afrique. There was also a nice art gallery about 2 blocks away (from entrance, go right down main road but take first right along side of hotel, then a left for one block). I also benefited from the quality crafts on sale in the hotel, which I thought were better than many of those I saw in the main Arts Centre in Accra. The pool is beautiful, I didn't swim though.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I love staying at this hotel whenever in Ghana. I have stayed there for more than 30 times and still counting. My last was 2 weeks ago and will go back there again next month. My reason is,there is no place to stay in Accra, Ghana than Mensvic hotel due to their friendliness, hospitality, serviceable and above all warm hearted treatment. Pick up and drop off at the airport is also a plus.24 hr security both the gate and ground car parking.Their rooms are so big that you can have a mini business conference or meetings there. Free internet service if you have your own computer and big stand-by automatic generator in case of power off.Mensvic hotel is a great place to feel at home when in Accra,Ghana.

Room Tip: Any room is nice
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

I went to Ghana for a holiday with my family at Mensvic hotel which is 10 minutes drive from the Airport and I loved it, they have an attractive building that stands tall,one can easily make it out on the main street of East Legon Accra, and I was amazed with the number of conference room they have. Their rooms are just perfect. Not to talk of their pool and a beautiful restaurant. Their beds is not as hard as I heard. We loved Mensvic and I will always come back.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family