“Heavenly Haven”

Coconut Grove Regency Hotel
Ranked #24 of 90 Hotels in Accra
Reviewed January 16, 2012

What a joy to check in here after 10 days of non stop travelling through Ivory Coast and Ghana in budget hotels! My taxi driver from Cape Coast recommended it after I decided not to stay at Big Milly’s Pond in Kokrobite for R&R before heading to Togo and Benin as I really needed a quiet and comfortable place with fast WIFI, a firm mattress and good air-conditioning to recharge my batteries. He told me that well heeled older tourists stayed here and I would like it and he was so right!

From the moment I walked in I was greeted with friendly smiles. This hotel is in the same chain that runs the Elmina Beach Resort and Bridge Café in Elmina and staff are taught that it is a privilege to serve guest and not that we are an inconvenience to them. They remembered my name throughout my stay. The receptionists let me choose whether I wanted a queen bed or to stay in a room with two twins and let me see the rooms. Cost $135 with a 5% service charge if you pay by credit card—note that you are charged in USD so don’t incur a further exchange rate loss. You can pay for food, laundry, WIFI access ($5 for 24 hours and it is fast even in your room) using cedis. If you only want to stay half a day before a late night flight they half the rate.

The hotel complex is in red bricks—looks colonial. There is a reasonably sized pool but the chlorine was so strong I had to get out after doing my laps and my eyes were watering for 2 hours after my swim. Still, at least you know it’s clean! There are no beach towels given at the pool—bring your own from the room. There’s a small gym open 24 hours, but like a lot of gyms in Africa weights are missing and the weight machine didn’t work. They also stored luggage here on two days so I got a workout lifting bags off the exercise bike The bike and running machine worked and these are normally the first to fall apart. The gym could also use a curtain on the door so not everybody sees you working out at night.

As other guest have noted, rooms are a bit tired. I’m generally not a fan of carpets in African hotel rooms because of cleanliness and damp from humidity issues but the carpet was clean and didn’t smell damp. I had room 31 which had a queen bed and was in the building behind reception. The room was a bit dark but no more so than your average Western chain hotel with no proper bedside lighting. There’s was a small TV with a selection of cable channels mostly geared to news and sports. I also had a nice desk, chair and armchair. There was a mini-bar and free coffee/tea making facilities with a small bottle of complementary mineral water. Bathroom was spotless and shower had piping hot water and strong pressure. However, late one night, the water was switched off until early morning (went back on at 7 AM, so plan accordingly if you have an early departure and need to shower).Air-conditioning worked well but was not the meat-locker cold variety—thank goodness!

There’s a smallish restaurant for such a big place that usually puts on buffet meals, especially for conferences. You take your breakfast (included in room rate) there. The buffet breakfast has all you need but isn’t something to write home about—standard egg, cereal and fruit and toast bread. I asked for baked beans with my egg and they arrived cold from the can! They start serving breakfast at 7 AM, but a lot of stuff wasn’t laid out until a half hour later. I had some local food from the a la carte menu for dinner one night and it was good and prices reasonable. There is also an upstairs venue but the restaurant wasn’t serving food upstairs when I was there. Restaurant service is also friendly.

One disadvantage is that this place is popular as a conference venue. This means that sometimes the pool is decked out with balloons so you can’t use it and tables are all over the courtyard with music playing loudly into the night—if the party is large or they have two parties in one evening, even the farthest wing of the property gets music, though it stops at 11 PM.

They have a same day laundry service at reasonable prices. There is a forex office, gift shop and even a beauty parlor in the hotel complex (but hair dresser showed up over an hour late for appointment and disregarded instructions to trim and chopped instead. You have been warned!) Reception organized an air-conditioned private car to take me to the Togo border (180 cedis) but I had to negotiate the price down hard to make it reasonable and it should be lower than this (120 cedis is the going rate and I had no trouble getting this rate at the border on my way back to Accra.) A number of taxis don’t know this hotel. Some say they do and will then drive around aimlessly before asking you for directions! Tell them next to the Ghana Immigration office or near the Canadian Embassy. Most taxi rides to anywhere in town will be between 3-4 cedis though the drivers will ask you for between 5-10 cedis.

Book the airport shuttle to make sure you get a seat.

The price is high compared to what you would pay for a comparable hotel in the US, but bear in mind costs in Africa (other than labor) are higher because everything needs to be imported. (The four star Villa Monticello wants $350 a night and isn’t a full fledged hotel to give you some idea.) This place was a haven from the rigors of travel both midway and at the end of my trip. I came back here after Togo and Benin before flying home and would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank poleinahole1

Reviewed December 28, 2011

Our trio of 40/50-something women used this hotel as our arrival and departure point during a November 2011 3-week trip to Ghana. The hotel offers a hotel shuttle which is very helpful to avoid the arrival hassles with arranging transportation, particularly if you have a lot of luggage. The hotel is also a conference center and there were multiple business meetings and social events going on at the hotel which gave it a nice energy without bothersome noise or crowds. Check-in was smooth and friendly and the front desk was very accommodating about keeping our valuables as the room did not have a safe.

A full English buffet breakfast is served with somewhat careless service in regards to keeping the coffee pot full and baked goods replenished, but the air conditioned dining room was very pleasant and comfortably furnished. We walked about 30 minutes along a major busy thoroughfare to the nearby Osu neighborhood with multiple, Brandt guide-recommended restaurants and shops. A taxi back to the hotel was 3-4 Cedis for the 3 of us. We ate a light dinner at the bar one evening, but not at the restaurant as the prices, by Ghana standards, were fairly steep. The coverd bar area is outdoors (with overhead fans) and overlooks a small, but clean pool and courtyard area. The obligatory big screen TV had soccer on continuously, but the very loud music was our biggest complaint as it made sitting in the bar area and conversing very difficult. The bartenders were kind enough to turn it down when asked, but as their staff rotated in and out it seemed to get louder and louder. There's a small workout gym for the hard core business traveler or fitness nut.

We paid for a triple, which consisted of a bedroom with 2 single beds and a sitting area where they put a single mattress on the floor. I was fine on the floor, but we consistently found that triples were full price for the 3rd person and fairly makeshift in Ghana, which isn't so different from elsewhere in the world. The rooms were clean though a little aged and had individual A/Cs which were quite efficient to the point that we struggled to get them turned down enough so we weren't freezing! The bathroom was spacious with a European-style bathtub-shower combo meaning we had to hold the detachable shower head by hand to shower. We werre up one floor in a building without an elevator so if you have mobility issues or heavy luggage be prepared to get help from the willing and courteous staff.

The hotel customer service was excellent. They allowed us to store some unneeded suitcases at no charge the first week when we were traveling down the Cape Coast before returning to Accra to meet up with our voluntour group to head north. When we asked for late check-out the day we were being picked up they graciously extended our checkout time until 1:00 which allowed us to explore Accra that morning and then shower before checking out. Given the heat and humidity, it was much appreciated to start the second half of the day fresh and ready for the long drive. We were very pleased with the booking process and our multiple stays.

The hotel is located on the airport-side of Accra (northeast) near major thoroughfares which makes it a good arrival and departure base of operations for anyone traveling to Ghana, whether for tourism or business. None of the top-ranked hotels we stayed at in Ghana were comparable to an equivalent class in Europe or the US, but the Coconut Grove Regency was very comfortable with good amenities and superior customer service.

Room Tip: Ask about what events may be occurring during your stay to ensure that your room is far from or clos...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Indy_working_mom
Reviewed July 30, 2011

In the past two months of June and July we have stayed at this hotel four times. Each time as has been similar but the price has been different. We are from the U.S. but are now missionaries living in Togo. Ghana is a good place for us to have some family down time. Incase you have not been to Ghana in awhile or it's your first time, the cost of anything, including hotels are on the high side compared to U.S. hotels. The Hotel itself is nice and comfortable. The a few of the bathrooms could us some updating. Other than that the rooms are clean and beds are firm, AC works well, internet is ok (better than Togo :) )
The only complaint is that the price is different every time and they tell me it is in USD. That doesn't make sense to me because I'm in Ghana and their currency is not USD and not everyone uses dollar. I think it's a good way to make more from US visitors. Overall will be back because it's close to the airport and good access to most places in Accra.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank AndyandAmy
Reviewed July 1, 2011

I'm a bit reluctant to give four stars to this hotel, but I did because I'm comparing it to the three other hotels in Ghana where we stayed, and this one was definitely one notch above (but, again, keep in mind that that's not saying much...). As others have said, what really makes the place stand apart is service; people here really seem to want to help, and we've found that to be VERY rare in African hotels and restaurants. The food was also significantly better than at other hotels. This having been said, the room itself was not impressive. The water in the toilet kept running, and when I told the guy at the reception desk he went to check it out and told me that it was "normal" (uh... no, it's not normal; you can fix it if you want to). The room was a bit cramped and run down, and the A/C was noisy and kept making annoying clicking noises that woke us up at night. On the bright side, the shower was great (water pressure!) and there was internet in the rooms (unusual in African hotels). There's a nice bar and pool and the premises are well maintained. All in all, it's the best of the four hotels in Ghana where we stayed and definitely a place where I'd consider staying again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank JMK36
Reviewed July 1, 2011

Having used TripAdvisor to select a hotel in Accra in my price range, it was very disappointing. From an operational perspective, it was good. The shuttle was there to collect me from the airport as promised and the Management and staff are VERY friendly and helpful. However, this doesn't compensate for rooms that lack maintenance and quite simply, require a complete overhaul. The breakfast selection was uninteresting and sub - standard. At US$ 130 per night, I expected more. I relocated to another hotel, and whilst expensive, suited my requirements much better. My advice to anyone visiting Accra is to take a normal hotel standard cost and the expectation you have, and then divide it by two. I think the Coconut Grove Hotel should be a US$ 75 by international standards. However, friendlier and more helpful staff you will not find!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank GabrielaJohannesburg
Reviewed June 30, 2011

Ghana's ministry of Tourism should find a way of rewarding great hotels like the Regency and punishing substandard ones like the Airport West Hotel in Accra which doesnt even have running water for weeks.
The professionalism of staff at the Regency says it all. keep it up guys you are simply the best

Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank JackAccra
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Spent 11 nights here on business. Excellent location near to Osu and good restaurants. Rooms are comfortable but old. The bar man needs a lesson in service , but the beer is cold, always! The Mosquitos work overtime in Accra so bring repellant:) breakfast is basic so don't expect bacon or variety

• Stayed: June 2011