“Rundown place”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Accra
Rising Phoenix Magic Beach Resort
Ranked #48 of 92 Hotels in Accra
København, Staden Kobenhavn, Denmark
“Rundown place”
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

The Rising Phonix has turned into The Falling Phonix. Rooms are worn out, furniture is broken, toilet is filthy, most staff are tired. And there are too guys hanging around smoking...
The restaurant menu and receptionist Brown are though very nice. But since everything else is long gone. We don't recommend going here.

• Stayed March 2013
phoenix t, Owner at Rising Phoenix Magic Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
sorry you were not so happy with our place, we operate a rolling renovation programme for our rooms, some are in need of TLC (and are cheaper), others have just been renovated, two are new.
We have had to change our maintenance policies regardinhg furniture. The earler way of doing things was admittedly ineffective... but we think we are back on track.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed for two nights at The Rising Phoenix before leaving from Accra. The guesthouse is centrally located and an easy walk to banks, food, historical parts of the city (such as Jamestown, lighthouse), shopping, tro-tros, etc. This is probably your best budget-hotel bet for an ocean view.

The rooms are small, but affordable. We stayed in the "cheapest" shared room (with own bathroom). Small, yes, but just fine for the two of us. There is not typically running water (it did come on once), but the staff is more than happy to fetch you water for a refreshing bucket bath (which is better than the weak pressure showers in most of Ghana).

The only complaints I have about the place is 1. Lights out at night. They claim to have a generator, but the fan did not work the first night at all. The second night it worked for a while. Electricity was on during most of the day (which we didn't need). "Lights out" is extremely common in Accra, but this location can get very muggy at night with no fan.

2. Pot smoking in the main area. This would probably be fine with some guests (though I would never recommend smoking or using any drugs in Ghana, since the penalties are far worse than in the U.S. and Europe). This really didn't bother us too much, because you can easily get out of the way (main dining area or your room areas, which are only for hotel guests). This certainly wasn't a deal breaker, just a bit annoying.

3. If you do sit for dinner outside, overlooking the ocean, you may be hassled by "artists" or other (mostly young, mostly male) craft sellers. This was a bit annoying when trying to have our own private dinner. Finally the boy left and we decided to take our food to the room after that (outside tables in front of room) which was much better and still overlooks the ocean. This also was not a deal breaker. Since the hotel area is for guests only, we did get more privacy here than most places in Ghana.

The food, by the way, is excellent. They may not have everything on the menu (i.e. they cannot make smoothies if the lights are out, which is not their fault). But, there is an excellent selection of Ghanaian, Indian, "fake meat", etc. It is all vegetarian and delicious. The price is affordable, btwn 5 C ($2.50) (for a salad) to 10 C + ($5) for a large plate Indian food. They also have excellent breakfast. I normally wouldn't eat fruit or salads prepared at a restaurant in Ghana, but these were clean and we did not suffer any GI issues from any of the food. The food does take a while to cook, so I would certainly order an hour prior (especially for breakfast).

Overall, I would recommend this hotel. The staff is very attentive and if you are having an issue (need water, need toilet paper, need directions) they are more than happy to accomodate you. The hotel does need some improvements, but the (Dutch) owner and staff are willing to hear your concerns and suggestions.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room with your own bathroom. #1 is certainly the smallest, so I might pay the ex...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah-Ryan1
hi
thanks for the support.
here are some responses:
we have four tanks to store water, plus one pump (and want to upgrade to two pumps soon).. however, even with all that infrastructure we cannot get water into the tanks by magic if the mains supply dries up. And for a couple of months earlier this year, after 4 out 12 filter beds were suddenly taken out of service, our supply pipe gave us very little water. We still had water stored, but not enough to get pumped up above shower head level. Once we bought water in by tanker, but this costs about ten times the price of pipe water, so we do not do so just because our water level is low, olny when it is close to zero. We are a budget hotel, and hope that our gursts like our prices, and therefore accept bucket showers when we are very short.

we have two generators, occasionally there may be a fault on the system, sorry.

we nearly always cook from fresh, it does take a little longer than Mcdonalds, order in time?
Hoofddorp, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 22, 2013

What a disappointment! We spend new years here and were expecting a nice hotel by the ocean. The common area (restaurant etc) looked ok, a little neglected, but it's Ghana. The room was absolutelly awfull and crappy! I've never stayed in a worse room than this. It was dirty, small, the fan was hardly of any use and everybody can look inside your room. We had a self contained room, so there was a very small bathroom with some running water (we could flush the toilet but not take a shower). We were supposed to have our own veranda, but there was only a small look out across from our room where all the guest were able to come. I didn't see any other 'veranda's'.

There are some good things though. There is a nice view over the ocean and you can walk down to a small private beach.
The restaurant is very nice, even though they only serve vegetarian food. They have a lot of dishes and the quality is very good. You do have to tell them you want the food at the same time, otherwise there can be a difference of about 30 minutes. The first time my boyfriend got his pizza when I was already finished with my food.

Overall I would not recommend this hotel, only the restaurant.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
hmm... most of the rooms, 8 out of 13, have what I call a verandah, an outside terrace with chairs overlooking the ocean, and if you were in a room with private bath, you got that. If you were misinformed about what we mean by verandah I am sorry.

As to people looking into your room, did you not close the curtains?

The water situation in Accra was very bad the first months of this year, with 4 out of the 12 filter beds that serve Accra taken out of service. We have four water tanks and a pump (hopefully a second soon) but if there is no water coming through the mains we cannot get the level of the water high in the tanks, except by tanker at about ten times the price… And we are a budget hotel, hoping then that guests appreciate out lower prices and will accept the odd time when they shower from a bucket.

Travelers are raving about these Accra hotels

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed in Rising Phoenix Magic Beach Resort for two weeks in November 2012.

Positive:
- Very nice staff, commited to providing a very good service, despite the difficulties (Thanks Joseph, Ruth, and all others)
- Great food, even if you are not vegetarian (try 'Red Red', 'Rice with Kontomire sauce', or 'Rice with curry vegetable sauce')
- Good strategical location, close to main markets, Trotro stations, Vodafone Internet Cafe ('communication centre'), Kwame Nkrumah Memorial and the Arts Centre.
- Brilliant site with a life-saving breeze coming from the ocean.
- Nice sea views with Jamestown's fishermen directly in front of you.
- Arrangements can be made for laundry
- Bedrooms are protected by metal mosquito nets at all openings. An additional mosquito net over the bed might be needed.

Negative:
- Room was not cleaned on a daily basis, but only on request, and cleaning was basically limited to the floor. Toilet. shower, sink, etc. seemed to be up to oneself. Shower curtain was very dirty and looked as if it hadn't been cleaned for a year or so. When moving it, I found myself on a cloud of dust. Same happened with window curtains, the ceiling fan..
- Wooden constructions throughout the hotel are rotting (litterally) and lack even the most basic maintenance. Dust was coming down from the ceiling all over the place. Hence, keep your bags and suitcases closed and your clothes inside them.
- Tables, chairs, and benches are falling apart. Instead of proper repairs being done by replacing rotting parts, another nail should do the job for as long as it holds the furniture somehow together
- Six days in a row without running water in the rooms. I was given a bucket and had to bring it back for a refill every time I had to flush, wash something, or take a "shower". I had read an earlier review mentioning this issue and I had believed that might have been a sporadic incident, due to a general outage, water restrictions or some sort of issue beyond the hotel´s means. I later found out that there was not such a problem, but simply the owner refused to arrange for the water supply to refill the hotel's water tank. When he eventually did, that was my last day in the hotel, the refill was so short that we only had water in our rooms for two hours, then we went back to the bucket solution. I do not know for how long this situation went on, but when I left the hotel, guests were still running around with a bucket.

It was sad to see how such a nice place in such a brilliant location is left to rot down and what could be a great hotel is ruined by appalling mismanagement and neglecting attitude of the hotel's owner. This hotel’s name can not be more ironic.

My stay was really disappointing and had it not been for the already paid booking, I would have left the hotel much earlier. I would not recommend it and will not come back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
phoenix t, Owner at Rising Phoenix Magic Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
hi
sorry you were not so happy at our place.
here are some comments:
rooms are not cleaned on a daily basis unless you request it, for the sake of security, no one enters your room unless you know.
I do not think it is right to say I 'refused. to bring in water another way. Bringing in water by tanker costs about ten times as much as getting water through the pipe, and as we are a budget hoitel, we need to watch costs closely. Sometimes we wait and hope. Anyway, since you were here, we had two extra water tanks just for the hotel guests, and may add a second pump. That way, we should catch more water when ti comes through the pipe.

I don't know if it will help you to know it, but in my previous house in Accra we did not get pipe water for TWO YEARS, and in my new house we face similar problerns, the kids may be fetching water again on thier heads as I write. So before you go on too long about the 'owner', know that he has taken a bucket shower almost every day for the last seven years and finds it absolutely normal. Water is not a trival problem in Ghana.

Let me also add this: our greatest asset is also our greatest liability. The ocean corrodes and rots everything fast. Our maintenance bill is already very very high, yet we are a budget hotel. We do our best, yet we want to learn. I do not know if you spoke to me personally, but I encourage anyone reading this to do so.
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have just returned from a trip to Accra and stayed for 2 nights in this hostel. The room I had was very noisy due to the waves crashing into the cliff edge and it appeared that the staff used the space just outside the room as a meeting place which created more noise at 5am which was not that appealing! 1 window lacked a curtain but the ceiling fan and mosquito net was in order.
Breakfast took a long time to arrive when ordered and when it did it was wrong. Unfortunately attracted a lot of hassle from locals when sitting in the bar so kept this to a minimum as people constantly trying to sell you things/tours.
Would probably not return

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
soory about the noise outside your room. I know the problerm as I stayed at the resort before buying it... and had the same experience. The only mitigating thing I might say is that Ghanaians do not have a big sense of privacy, perhaps it is the flipside of their being so friendly. But I will speak to them again.
Ouagadougou
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed here August 2012 with a group of Peace Corps volunteers - we are used to "roughing it" but the hotel accommodations were terrible, even for us. There were 4 of us and we got a room with two large beds in it. The room was so small that the 4 of us could not all stand up in it at the same time. There were large windows facing out onto the walkway and all the other guests would look into our room as they walked by. The most terrible thing was the lack of running water - which I would be ok with if they provided water for us. The hotel would fill up a big jug with water for us, but when that ran out we were stuck. There were days when we could not shower or flush the toilets because there was no water. The location was also far from everything we wanted to do, so we had to pay for cabs every day. I would definitely not recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
We sometime struggle to get any water at all, like you unfortunately experienced, but that is rare. We have four water tanks and a pump (hopefully a second soon) but if there is no water coming through the mains we cannot get the level of the water high in the tanks, except by tanker at about ten times the price… And we are a budget hotel, hoping then that guests appreciate out lower prices and will accept the odd time when they shower from a bucket.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed just two nights here but wished we had booked a few more. The Rising Phoenix is in Ushertown, not far from James Town, in Accra. The hotel is right on the cliffs edge and the morning views are great. The owner is very helpful and friendly as was Cesar who works at the hotel as a guide showing guests the local area. It's very reasonable and as such the rooms are basic, but they are clean which is all we were looking for. Food is vegan and very good and influenced by the owner's time spent in india, but all the Ghanaian food is available too. There's quite a hippy vibe here and lots of people come into the restaurant/bar area at night to relax and drink beer. The area could appear a bit unsafe at first appearances, but is absolutely fine and nothing to worry about. Good idea to arrive in daylight if poss so you can find it easily but if not just arrange for the staff to collect you. Great, cheap and relaxing place to stay in Accra - walking distance from most things you'll want to see.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JaneZoo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Accra
De Holiday Beach Hotel
Kings Royal Atlantic Hotel
No photo provided
Inn-Syde Guest House
#13 of 191 in Accra

Been to Rising Phoenix Magic Beach Resort? Share your experiences!