“Fun, relaxed, great views of sea, good food”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Accra
Rising Phoenix Magic Beach Resort
Ranked #56 of 90 Hotels in Accra
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed just two nights here but wished we had booked a few more. The Rising Phoenix is in Ushertown, not far from James Town, in Accra. The hotel is right on the cliffs edge and the morning views are great. The owner is very helpful and friendly as was Cesar who works at the hotel as a guide showing guests the local area. It's very reasonable and as such the rooms are basic, but they are clean which is all we were looking for. Food is vegan and very good and influenced by the owner's time spent in india, but all the Ghanaian food is available too. There's quite a hippy vibe here and lots of people come into the restaurant/bar area at night to relax and drink beer. The area could appear a bit unsafe at first appearances, but is absolutely fine and nothing to worry about. Good idea to arrive in daylight if poss so you can find it easily but if not just arrange for the staff to collect you. Great, cheap and relaxing place to stay in Accra - walking distance from most things you'll want to see.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JaneZoo

Reviewed July 3, 2012

Our undergraduate fellows love staying at The Rising Phoenix. You cannot beat the location, food or price for a stay in Accra. The rooms have fans to keep cool and you have a choice of private or shared bath. Thanks Phoenix!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 20, 2012

At this place everything works together to make a wonderful experience: The stunning location is the biggest asset and they make the most of it. The kitchen is great and must-go for all vegetarians tired of not vegetarian-friendly Ghanaian food. The staff is friendly and helpful. The self-contained rooms are very nice. The rooms with shared bathroom are quite small and good if you just need a place to sleep and spend the day in town or just sitting on top of the cliff in the hotel. The room prices are justified with the spectacular view from the rooms so no wonder you get a room of the same size cheaper in other pars of town, but then no location can match this one!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I stayed there on my first night in Accra. THe taxi driver didn't no the place, neither did his colleagues. Finally we found it asking some people. The taxt driver was surprised coz it's a bad part of time and adviced me not to stay there. Actually it's not THAT bad, but not a great area to hang around either... anyway. The rooms are poor, the toilets horrible.
If someone is highlighting the food: ok, in theory they have a great menue, but in reality the don't even have half of it; and even of the rest you have to order looong time in advance, otherwise you only can get eggsandwich.
All in all, the cool "seaview" rooms are absolutely not worth the money and the cheapies are still to expensive for what ou get. It's rather the room style "a place to crash for one night" but in this category you'll find loads of places and above all cheaper.
So better look for something else.

Room Tip: As I said, don't go for the cheapie. It's got a open window (only mosquito net, no glass) to...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank matraquilho
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I am in Accra right now, Nov. 8, 2011. I'm a strict vegan and looked up where i could eat on HAPPYCOW.ORG and found, in fact, several places which surprised the hell outta me, gotta tell ya. However......Okay, I'll reserve my report of Assase Pa for their page, but need to say it was pretty cool, (at least at first) to note that 2 of the several vegetarian/vegetarian friendly places were right next to each other. I visited "Rising Phoenix" on a Tuesday night, and even with an almost full moon the place was hard to find and very dark. Now.....I'm no "prude", and I don't think marijuana should be illegal, but it was just plain funny to have people right next to me at the ordering bar smoking ganja! In full rasta regalia as well. One guy confused the hell outta me tho, because he was so obviously "rasta" yet had a GUN necklace around his neck and seriously chastised the staff for not having a micro-wave to heat up his food, although the gal he was speaking to did try to explain their reasons for not using microwaves despite his desperate plea that "we all used them in our youths to save time". So weird.

So more to the vegan point, the gal I ordered from should actually look up the word "vegan" cuz although on several occasions she said the whole menu was vegan, it includes such items as "veggie-burger with cheese", "eggs benedict', "yoghurt", etc..... I meant to take a picture of the "vegan" menu, but my camera died......

The person who might have been the owner came out only once to say hello, and my simple order of only stir-fried veggies with tofu took, like, forever!! And I asked specifically if the spices were "hot" or not, I was assured it would not be, and the gal taking the order who just handed the paper to the gal behind me made her write on the ticket "no hot spices", came seriously spicy anyway.

I'm gonna try to go again tomorrow or the next day just to be sure, but this is exactly what happened. Also, GET GOOD DIRECTIONS!! It seems sometimes people know exactly what you're talking about but don't have the right directions, and some people think they know......the food was good tho, but spicy.....

Room Tip: Only dined there.....
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
phoenix t, Owner at Rising Phoenix Magic Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

we do not clain to be vegan, some things are vegan... but all are vegetarian.
as to the clientele: we don't choose them. I like to think you can meet intetresting people if you want.
as to the speed of the service: we are aware of the problem and working on it as best we can. I don't know if you ever came back, but if you came today you would see a BIG menu, 12 packed pages, cheatmeat, crepes, ice creams, local, continental, Indian... and I like to cook fresh, not reheat... so it cannot be fast food, sorry!

Reviewed February 27, 2011

Had a chance to stay here on arrival in Ghana, and again on our way out. This is a very modest little resort that is ideal for backpackers and others who aren't looking for more than basic accommodation. Great view overlooking the ocean and a small beach, inexpensive meals and beer, casual atmosphere, and yes, insects. Not too far from downtown market areas and city attractions along the city's coast, and taxis are cheap and plentiful (although they do try to charge tourists more than locals, be persistent and threaten to try another cab and they will always drop the price).

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Don_G_Wright
Reviewed November 23, 2010

The location of this hotel is great as you can walk to Makola Market in about 10 minutes (although the area around the hotel is pretty sketchy at night). The bar/restaurant area is well designed and a nice place to hang out with views over the ocean. There are many locals hanging out around the bar, but are all friendly and welcoming. The staff at this place was really hit or miss. The owner was very nice and helpful, but the woman at the bar was HORRIBLE. Everytime we spoke to her she was extremely rude or just completely ignored us. The woman who took the food orders was much nicer. The housekeeping lady was extremely nice and even walked us up to high street at night to ensure we were safe getting into a cab to the airport!
The rooms at this hotel leave a lot to be desired. They are VERY basic and when we first arrived our bed was covered in ants!!! We doused the bed with bug spray and then slept in all of our clothes and were thankful we were only staying for one night!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

sorry about the ants. we are set in gardens by the sea, so we share the place with a lot of flora and some fauna. Did you ask us to spray? we will if you want it.