“Wouldn't stay again” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rising Phoenix Magic Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Accra
Rising Phoenix Magic Beach Resort
Ranked #49 of 95 Hotels in Accra
Zurich, Switzerland
“Wouldn't stay again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

I stayed there on my first night in Accra. THe taxi driver didn't no the place, neither did his colleagues. Finally we found it asking some people. The taxt driver was surprised coz it's a bad part of time and adviced me not to stay there. Actually it's not THAT bad, but not a great area to hang around either... anyway. The rooms are poor, the toilets horrible.
If someone is highlighting the food: ok, in theory they have a great menue, but in reality the don't even have half of it; and even of the rest you have to order looong time in advance, otherwise you only can get eggsandwich.
All in all, the cool "seaview" rooms are absolutely not worth the money and the cheapies are still to expensive for what ou get. It's rather the room style "a place to crash for one night" but in this category you'll find loads of places and above all cheaper.
So better look for something else.

Room Tip: As I said, don't go for the cheapie. It's got a open window (only mosquito net, no glass) to...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank matraquilho

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Manhattan Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

I am in Accra right now, Nov. 8, 2011. I'm a strict vegan and looked up where i could eat on HAPPYCOW.ORG and found, in fact, several places which surprised the hell outta me, gotta tell ya. However......Okay, I'll reserve my report of Assase Pa for their page, but need to say it was pretty cool, (at least at first) to note that 2 of the several vegetarian/vegetarian friendly places were right next to each other. I visited "Rising Phoenix" on a Tuesday night, and even with an almost full moon the place was hard to find and very dark. Now.....I'm no "prude", and I don't think marijuana should be illegal, but it was just plain funny to have people right next to me at the ordering bar smoking ganja! In full rasta regalia as well. One guy confused the hell outta me tho, because he was so obviously "rasta" yet had a GUN necklace around his neck and seriously chastised the staff for not having a micro-wave to heat up his food, although the gal he was speaking to did try to explain their reasons for not using microwaves despite his desperate plea that "we all used them in our youths to save time". So weird.

So more to the vegan point, the gal I ordered from should actually look up the word "vegan" cuz although on several occasions she said the whole menu was vegan, it includes such items as "veggie-burger with cheese", "eggs benedict', "yoghurt", etc..... I meant to take a picture of the "vegan" menu, but my camera died......

The person who might have been the owner came out only once to say hello, and my simple order of only stir-fried veggies with tofu took, like, forever!! And I asked specifically if the spices were "hot" or not, I was assured it would not be, and the gal taking the order who just handed the paper to the gal behind me made her write on the ticket "no hot spices", came seriously spicy anyway.

I'm gonna try to go again tomorrow or the next day just to be sure, but this is exactly what happened. Also, GET GOOD DIRECTIONS!! It seems sometimes people know exactly what you're talking about but don't have the right directions, and some people think they know......the food was good tho, but spicy.....

Room Tip: Only dined there.....
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
phoenix t, Owner at Rising Phoenix Magic Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
we do not clain to be vegan, some things are vegan... but all are vegetarian.
as to the clientele: we don't choose them. I like to think you can meet intetresting people if you want.
as to the speed of the service: we are aware of the problem and working on it as best we can. I don't know if you ever came back, but if you came today you would see a BIG menu, 12 packed pages, cheatmeat, crepes, ice creams, local, continental, Indian... and I like to cook fresh, not reheat... so it cannot be fast food, sorry!
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2011

Had a chance to stay here on arrival in Ghana, and again on our way out. This is a very modest little resort that is ideal for backpackers and others who aren't looking for more than basic accommodation. Great view overlooking the ocean and a small beach, inexpensive meals and beer, casual atmosphere, and yes, insects. Not too far from downtown market areas and city attractions along the city's coast, and taxis are cheap and plentiful (although they do try to charge tourists more than locals, be persistent and threaten to try another cab and they will always drop the price).

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Don_G_Wright
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2010

The location of this hotel is great as you can walk to Makola Market in about 10 minutes (although the area around the hotel is pretty sketchy at night). The bar/restaurant area is well designed and a nice place to hang out with views over the ocean. There are many locals hanging out around the bar, but are all friendly and welcoming. The staff at this place was really hit or miss. The owner was very nice and helpful, but the woman at the bar was HORRIBLE. Everytime we spoke to her she was extremely rude or just completely ignored us. The woman who took the food orders was much nicer. The housekeeping lady was extremely nice and even walked us up to high street at night to ensure we were safe getting into a cab to the airport!
The rooms at this hotel leave a lot to be desired. They are VERY basic and when we first arrived our bed was covered in ants!!! We doused the bed with bug spray and then slept in all of our clothes and were thankful we were only staying for one night!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
sorry about the ants. we are set in gardens by the sea, so we share the place with a lot of flora and some fauna. Did you ask us to spray? we will if you want it.
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2010

It was my second visit to Rising Phoenix Magic Beach Resort. I was there in 2005 when it was called Akuma Village. Now it is under a new management and it keeps improving. This year the new addition is a spa experience. I took a yoga class and got a great massage for only $15. Friendly staff, healthy vegetarian food, great ocean views, cultural performances, dance parties,
all that makes Rising Phoenix a very unique place.
My room was clean and had an ocean view. I felt like I was in some remote, peaceful location, yet it is only a few minutes from busy Accra center.
I hope I will go back soon.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo