“Not as expected.”
Review of Bojo Beach

Ranked #1 of 68 things to do in Accra
More attraction details
Owner description: Bojo beach is located at the delta of the Densu River and the Atlantic Ocean next to a fishing village. To access the beach, one has to take a boat ride accross the Densu River. Hotel Accomodation with swimming pool is on the main land. There are Restuarants and Bars on site and also at the Beach. The beach is very clean, and the natural setting is unique and lovely. Bojo Beach is located in graater Accra - about 30 minutes from the Airport or the city center. The beach is open 7 days in a week. Outside Food and Drinks are not allowed since there are Restuarans and Bars available to cater to your needs
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Ok,, after many weeks in Accra and reading the reviews of people who have been there I decided to give it a try yesterday the 27th of May 2013.... (1) I knew the fees was 10 cedis and 3 cedis for my daughter so we went prepared.. After paying the fees the guy at the entrance gave me the 'no food/drink' disco that lasted for about two minutes (including time spent checking my carryon if I had something not allowed), then made it to the Boat that carried about 15/20 people with less than 6 life vest on board (five for adults, and one for children) the only available one my daughter wore so the rest of the kids that boarded afterwards had nothing to wear. Getting into the beach was another of such 'not to do list' just at the spot of disembarkation and it got me wondering Why all these numerous notices?.. 2) who ever compared Bojo to Labadi must be making a point I DO NOT understand because there was absolutely no fun for kids except the swings. Swimming was rather impossible because of the sometimes high waves, all she could do was sit at the shore and play with sea sand. Even for Adults it was impossible to swim.. The only people who seemed to enjoy the waves were large folks who jumped endlessly at the waves in hope to shade some Kg's, and some '6pacs' wannabes. I was very disappointed and missed the other public beaches just after paying the entrance fees..I wanted to see the 'white sand' which turned out not totally 'white' as some people wrote, as a matter of fact I think all beach in Ghana has same sand, there was nothing extra special about the Bojo sand... In conclusion,, Bojo is a good place if you want a quiet time with your spouse, away from the crowd of people like you would see in other places but, if you have fun loving kids who enjoy beach life then take them to places where they can ride on horses or play with clowns, watch people dance, dance themselves, etc and not Bojo... I took pictures of the two 'properties' they have.. (the blue mobile toilets with property of Bojo clearly written on it).. Lol. Oh.. And how can I forget the black bags??? One of it got stuck in my hair and totally covered my face.. Lol. Goodluck!

1  Thank Msnaijachick
in 9 reviews
in 11 reviews
in 8 reviews

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Bojo Beach came as a highly recommended alternative to Labadi, which though closer to Accra city centre, now has a reputation for being dirty and full of louts.

As we approached the sandbar that makes up the beach via a short boat ride across a lagoon, we were not disappointed. It looked beautiful and, as it was a weekday, was almost deserted, save for a few fishermen going out to sea and locals passing by. So not 'exclusively' private either, but all the better for that.

The choppy waters looked inviting but a few minutes after plunging in I kept finding my legs entangled in bits of abandoned black shopping bags that seem to be a constant feature of Accra street life. Somehow they'd found their way to the coast. Then I noticed a lot of scum in the surf, so God knows what else was in the water.

Later we ordered food - we had to as there was a sign warning people not to take food and drink on to the beach and there was security staff there to make sure you didn't. But it took ages to arrive because it had to be collected by boat from the restaurant on the other side of the lagoon. Pricey too. Tasted good when it came, though.

The next day was a weekend, and this time there were loads of people around. The water was rougher with a strong undercurrent and one man had to be rescued by lifeguards after being dragged out to sea. He was OK but I heard a lifeguard telling him off for not swimming within the flagged markers on the beach. I'd noticed them but it wasn't really clear what they were there for as there were no signs. Anyway, after that the lifeguards began patrolling the beach, as they should have been doing all along. So let that be a warning to whoever owns this beach.

The food once again took a long time to arrive. Surely, they could find a way of preparing meals in the bar area on the beach itself at weekends? Talking of the bar, we were not seated close to it, and thankfully so as the music being played from there was blasting out of a very poor PA system that was hard on the ears.

All in all, we spent a pleasant few hours over two days on what is clearly a family beach with no hassles. But it wasn't exactly pristine and the service was slow. Also I didn't appreciate the warning signs at the entrance – don't do this and don't do that – smelly toilets and hefty entrance fee. There were four of us, so it came to about $25 to get in. When I got back to our hotel, someone asked me if there were any black bags in the water, so I guess it wasn't a one-off.

Next time, I'll be on the lookout for somewhere else, but if you haven't got time to do that yourself, Bojo's a good enough bet.

1  Thank araba c
Reviewed April 14, 2013

It was a nice time!!! as a group! the place is nice, enough place to dance and play if you don't intend to use the water. The staff are nice people and the atmosphere is serene. The hardest part is when you are getting ready to leave. It's really hard to leave... I enjoyed myself, my friends as well.

1  Thank Sylvestre A
Reviewed January 22, 2013

You have to pay to get into the beach but this assures you that it will be clean and that it has helpful staff. There is an odd Female urinal on the beach that smelt so bad I didn't dare go in to see how it worked! Lovely place and close enough to Accra for an easy day trip.

4  Thank Kimberthewhitelion