“Good, expensive food”

Captain Hook's Restaurant
Ranked #41 of 280 Restaurants in Accra
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Captain hook's is famous for fresh seafood like Lobster Prawns Calamari Shrimps Grouper and many more Not only seafood the menu will over you Beef Chicken and Pasta and many more
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I went for lunch with the family on Sunday. The pace was almost deserted and I think is because of the prices. The menu is ok, with a variety of fish and seafood dishes and even some other meats. This place will not impress any gourmet, but the food is good enough to take your family and have a nice time. There are better options in term of price, with the same quality in Accra, so unless is Sunday (when many restaurants are closed) or you happen to live nearby and want to eat closer to home I would say you should head in a different direction.

There are newer reviews for Captain Hook's Restaurant

Reviewed September 12, 2013

I took a small group of business colleagues here. Beforehand, I sat in the cozy and fully equipped bar with a television showing a World Cup qualifier. When the menus came we decided to have the seafood platter, thinking this would be a good appetizer. When it came it was so extensive varied and tasty and we didn't find it necessary to order anything else. As a result the restaurant offered excellent value. Service was above-average and the ambience was excellent. A bit touristy, as one will see many foreigners here. However, I think foreigners come here for a reason: more small-scale local restaurants probably do not offer the quality that this one does. A curiosity: the wines varied in price from 34.5 Cedis to 36.5 Cedis per bottle. I found it unusual to have such a narrow range of prices.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We booked a table at Captain Hooks for a special occasion, so imagine our disappointment when we were told there was no lobster available. Half the items on the menu are lobster!! But it was too late and inconvenient to go elsewhere so we made the best of it. A spicy calamari starter was very very small and overcooked. the other starter should have been lobster with smoked salmon and dill sauce, it was requested with large prawns to substitute the elusive lobster but instead it came with just 3 small dull king prawns that had the texture of damp cotton wool and very poor flavour, They made me think of the type you buy frozen and precooked. The smoked salmon was again a tiny amount and there was a very big salad to fill up the plate.

Main courses weren't much better. Red snapper was overcooked and could have been fresher. Frito mixta was covered in a heavy batter, although it was nice and crispy on the outside, inside there was a thick layer of undercooked batter. The prawns were just ok but the large crude pieces of squid were rubbery. Chips were the frozen variety and not impressive. How hard is it to make real chips???

There were not many dining, maybe 5 tables but service as not great. It was hard to find someone to get us some salt and pepper. And then we sat looking at our long finished starter plates as they were only taken away as the main course arrived in a flurry of activity.
So a couple of beers and 2 courses of mediocre food came to a whopping Ghc225. They are trading on the reputation of Captain Hooks, Takoradi but it bears no resemblance whatsoever to the original. Shame.

I will not be going back there again. There is better fresher fish to be found elsewhere for a fraction of the cost.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Was quite disappointed in the food, feel the restaurant is overrated. Service was fine & the bar quite good, but generally overpriced.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

It was my first visit, having heard good things about the place I was looking forward to it. The staff meet and greet so no problems there and we went to the long bar for a drink. I have to report that the pint of Peroni was blooming gorgeous, cold, crisp and just hit the spot, in fact I will go as far as to say that it's the best pint I've had anywhere here. There is a tv on the wall and friends have been in just to have a beer and watch the footie, you are welcome to just do that if you want, but in the evening the venue is decidedly 'restaurant'

The steak was recommended so I went for the fillet with prawns (note the plural description) and potato croquets with a request for the garlic sauce instead of the mushroom that came with it.
I will agree with previous correspondence that the presentation had a lot to be desired, the sauce was a cheesy mixture swilling with puddles garlicky goo, No croquets but a separate bowl of fries and only one prawn....in its shell, no finger bowl or additional napkins or side plate for the debris. Oh dear. The steak was very good though.

Oh, in relation to the wine I chose the La Chas du pape, the waiter who seemed to dither about how the steak was prepared and whether I could have an alternative sauce suddenly turned into sommelier of the year announcing that they had none, I asked his recommendation and he pointed out a bottle of something three times the price! I plumped for the SA Merlot which was very good, although it was a near run thing for the sommelier / waiter to extract the cork out in one piece.
Price wise, by comparison it could be considered steep, but for what we had I was happy to pay up. Similarly we were hurried on the bill but all things considered the steak and wine saved the day, oh and the lager was a triumph