“IS A NICE PLACE”

Holiday Inn Accra Airport
Ranked #10 of 90 Hotels in Accra
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Hoiday inn in Accra Airport City is the best hotel ,the way pool is on the top ,the chairs the building is nice and they have nice paining ,wood works and the one thing I like most not far from the airport and near by is a mall and not far from local market .One thing I almost think about is accra traffic, But because of holiday inn, from airport is like 4 mins drive . I dont have any problem with accra traffic,I dont think about my flight all you need let them know your schedule they will drop you and pick you up on time .And they a nice drinking bar .FROM ANY WHERE IN THE WORLD TO ACCRA GHANA NICE HOTEL NEAR THE AIRPORT IS HOLIDAY INN IS A NICE PLACE

Room Tip: they have a nice rooms ,i choose a nice single room i have to cut my coat to my size
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Average hotel. Clean but no ambiance. Pricy for what you get. A shopping mall nearby. Not far from local market. BUT far away from the main drag, Oxford Street.
The Vodacom building behind can be noisy. Lots of constructions in this area. Pool not so nice.
Just ok for $350 per night.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Sam W
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Good, new hotel located very close to the Airport, which in Accra traffic can be a big plus if your main concern is your flight schedule. Very "western" though, once you walk in you no longer feel like you're in Western Africa and could just as easily be in Anytown USA.

Still, for my purposes (a place to sleep close to the airport) it was excellent

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The best thing about this hotel is that it has it's own arrival lounge in the international terminal after you go through customs. This means you can stride through the hub bub of the busy concourse, avoiding all the taxi touts and sit in AC comfort while the next shuttle bus to the hotel arrives. If - like many - you arrive late at night this can be very helpful.

Otherwise the hotel is typical of this international chain. The car service in the lobby is very expensive for short journeys - if you don't mind a simpler car with no luxuries a taxi just outside the gate will be a fraction of the cost.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Accra Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Dear ajsadeh,

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. I am certainly elated that our hotel location was an advantage to your travel. However, I apologize if some aspects of our shuttle rates fell below your expectations. I have noted you valuable comments and I will make sure that this will be looked into and be forwarded to the departments involved. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to serve you again should your travels bring you back to the area.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed October 7, 2013

This is one of the best Holiday Inns I have stayed. Situated just about five minutes to the airport in a lovely part of Accra City, the service here is comparable to any hotel of its standard. The restaurant usually serves buffet with both continental and African food on the menu. The swimming pool is my favourite spot. And if you are around on Friday be sure to enjoy the music from a live band usually rendering highlife music. Even though there is wi-fi in the rooms, it is almost as if it is non-existent as you can hardly connect with it. If you are going to need the internet I suggest you make your own arrangements by buying a dongle or a SIM card at the airport before getting to the hotel. There are taxi cabs just by the hotel gates willing to take you to any part of Accra City.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Godsent007
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I have stayed many times in the Accra Holiday Inn. My stays have been business related. Whilst I agree with others that this hotel is perceived to be dated I have always found my stays to be pleasant. Sometimes the rooms have small issues such as the plugs ion the bath missing etc but nothing that could be construed as having a negative effect on my stay. Show me a hotel where there is never any minor defect.
Accra Holidays Inn major asset - in my opinion - is their staff. The Front Desk are very friendly and often remember me by name on subsequent visits - a great (even if egotistical !) start to the stay. The restaurant staff are all very friendly AND efficient with beaming smiles, Like wise in the Cabana Bar. The various supervisors who go round talking to guests to see how they are and how they are enjoying their stay is so reassuring. The People Approach is so important in the hospitality industry and really helps to put guests at ease which is certainly the case in Accra. The physical age of the hotel - however perceived - is hardly the fault of the staff ! Food & Beverage is always good and well presented. The Breakfast Buffet is excellent and obviously enjoyed by many if not all - from my observations. Dinner Buffet is also good value. The ambiance is enhanced by the piped music. My only minor criticism is that maybe the Bar Menus could be changed every now & then ! There are many hotels in Accra but for me it is the Holiday Inn. I feel that I am qualified to make these comments as I am a Senior Hospitality Manager with some 40 plus years experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I stayed twice on this trip, 10+11 and 20+21 September and, because of my Platinum Ambassador status in the IHG programme, was upgraded to the upper floors: room 719 and room 612. My friend had a more basic room each time on the first floor. Having seen both lots of rooms, I can see why some commentators have criticised the general bedroom standard which indeed is beginning to look dated.

However my two upper rooms were spacious, well furnished with good quality comfortable bed, fridge, trouser press/ironing board and effective airconditioning. No unwelcome bugs penetrated from outside! I would definitely suggest travellers wanting above average European standards opt for the top floors though I cannot say how much extra these would normally cost.

The hotel is about 2 Kms from the airport and we were met by the free hotel shuttle and taken back the same way. In view of the crowds round the terminal, this is well worth arranging.

The breakfast, buffet style, has lots of juices, breads, fruits as well as hot dishes. Note that Ghanaians have a sweet tooth and you will need to search out bakery products without added sugar or other items without over-much fat. However the price is included in the room rate.

I entertained two lots of local friends to dinner. Both enjoyed. I am not usually a fan of buffets for dinner but the wide choice of dishes went down well with them. On our final evening, we had a meal in the bar area. Again, good standard if not gourmet. At lunch time, we ventured across to the Marina Mall. Delifrance on the top floor did some pleasant salads.

The outdoor pool was about 20m long and, while we were there, seemed little used. The loungers round the pool were ok but did not go completely flat.

Three points to watch:
1. WIFI is free but unreliable on upper floor. Not a coincidence that a lot of laptops being used in the bar where signal was stronger. The business centre has fast PCs and charges GH$10 for an hour. Open until 23.00 though
2. The main road outside the hotel gets VERY congested in rush hours. Allow 30 mins to get to Osu. At weekends, much quicker. Expect to pay GH$6 for a taxi normally
3. My card secured my room until 16.00 on departure day. I declined to pay $100 for 3 hours more. Late evening flights out may mean you dont have a room after midday on your departure day.

Room Tip: Pay extra for better rooms on 6th and 7th floors
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends