“Dirtiest room ever but fun place for drinks...”
Review of Hotel Tropicana

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Libreville
Hotel Tropicana
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Libreville
Reviewed August 8, 2011

The location is convenient for flying out of Libreville...but the room was filthy. The cleanest moment was when I showered! Fortunately I used the room just for the day to get cleaned up and eat before flying out. On the up side, the staff was very friendly and having drinks outside while watching the sun set was quite nice.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank TravelingLoaf

Reviewed July 29, 2011

After a 3 week tour through the country I stayed my last night in this hotel, having spent some nights in the 'centre of town'. The centre is in easy reach of this hotel by taxi and I loved the sea breeze on the terrace of Le Tropicana. I especially thought the price/quality of this place better then many of the other hotels in town. At least there was some service most of the time, my bungalow was clean and the airco soon repaired after I mentioned it being broken. Could hear the sea when in bed and loved that. Food was ok / mediocre.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank wishIwerethere54
Reviewed September 21, 2010

Gabon is beatiful as a country. The people though, don´t have a clue what service is. The hotel was surounded by French soldiers who bought lady after lady. Some of them shared...Not nice to see European people go there and abuse the locals - in the same time they take care of the president. It felt more like a bordel than a hotel. But if U are searching for a nice beach, this "hotel" is OK.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank AnnieHbg
Reviewed September 14, 2010

I love the ambience. Love the Wooden Bar, the restaurant and the Sea Food. Great Fish meals. I Dont recommend the rooms. Clenliness much to be desired. Friendly people. I remember the grey African parakreet . Wish I could get back there some day.....

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank amr56
Reviewed March 21, 2009

I was in the hotel Tropicana for a week and I think that was one of the best experience of my life, The food was great, a good choice in the menu for fish, meat, I found everything very fresh and tasty, the rooms were decent, I was in a double room,is not a 5 stars but for what you pay is very good, you can not beat the location, beside the airport,to be able to to go for a swim anytime and the sunsets are spectacular. The staff are very friendly, you will be wellcome by Eric, the manager with a big smile. THe music is lovely, a total surprise, they really create a great atmosphere. It's advice to know a bit of french and I really enjoy to interact on the beach with the Gabonnesse. On sundays the whole Libreville party on the beach besides the tropicana and can be very entertaining. I will recomended this hotel to everyone

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank carlovian
Reviewed October 14, 2007

I did not stay in one of the rooms at Hotel Tropicana, however, I did eat dinner several nights and had a wonderful Sunday Brunch. The food was very, very, very good. I ate the grilled lobster almost every night and if you have the opportunity to visit, try it.

Stayed: April 2007
2  Thank DC-World-Traveler-07
Reviewed October 4, 2007

I stayed here at the start of October and can honestly say that this establishment would never be called a hotel in the civilised world.

The air con in the 'shed' was useless and very noisy.
The room was flithy with no sheets on the matress which was heaving - the shower did not work (well it was just a pipe that sticks out of the ceiling)

After spending 6 hours awake unable to get any sleep (35 degrees C at 98% humidity getting to sleep is very hard) I got up to have breakfast.

Breakfast was revolting - the bread was stale, the coffee was barely recognisable as a drink - and all this in the surrounding of a run down beach covered in animal and human poo. The smell was undiscribable - if you are a fly you will love it!

My advise is to any white english speaker is quite simple - do not go to Gabon as I found it to be racist and akward. Oh if you do go remember to take euros as only one place in the country will change pound sterling - the inter-continental (and you must have a room!)

I wish i had my camera as trying to describe how bad it was is impossible - please feel free to contact me should you wish to get the 'low down' on what it is like.

Oh there is another report about Gabon saying that this place (tropicana) is a brothel - I am sad to say this is completely true. It was a replusive experience I will never forget watching 50 somethings having young teenagers hanging off them (remember most of the 'girls' in this industry in Africa have AIDS) -
forget 'jailbait' as it's more like 'deathbait'

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank drwatts