“Best place to stay in Addis”

Sidama Lodge & Sidama Inn
Rogers, Arkansas
“Best place to stay in Addis”
Reviewed May 28, 2011

I traveled to Addis for a 2-month business trip from January-March 2011. As a solo-female traveler, I wanted to stay somewhere that was safe, yet convenient. A friend recommended Sidama lodge to me and it was the best choice I could have made. With it's location in the heart of Bole (and a stone throw from the World Bank and the EU delegation compound), Sidama Lodge is a very safe option for female travelers. It is also right in center of town with several restaurants, bars and shops just walking distance. Sidama's location is just one aspect of it's appeal. By far, the staff of the lodge are the most professional, accomodating hotel staff I have encountered in my several years traveling around the continent. Henok, Chiernot, and Mille (front desk attendants) are extremely kind, gracrious and very customer-service oriented. The breakfast is great and it comes hand-delivered to your room daily (for FREE!).

The rooms are very clean and spacious, and for a short-stay longer than 2 weeks it is ideal because it is essentially a furnished apartment right in the heart of the city. The price is unbeatable and the service is stellar. Any time I plan to travel to Addis, this will be my first choice!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank nikki D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 28, 2010

We spent a couple of weeks in Addis with our 2 teens visiting friends and family. The comfortable apartment was very large, bright and clean. We had two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a large living room/kitchen in the middle. The staff was superb - very responsive for any questions or needs that we had. Breakfast was brought to our room each morning. There was no restaurant in the hotel but we could order from any nearby restaurant and the staff would promptly deliver the order to our room. We rarely used the available in-room internet because it was just as easy to use the computer in the lobby. It was very nice having a large balcony across the front of our apartment where we could see the comings and goings of people at all hours on Cape Verde St. which is not as busy as many streets. Although the lodge itself was very quiet, the city is not. In general, Addis has a fair amount of noise from cars on the street - this was difficult during the night and interfered with sleep. However, I believe this might be a problem in many places in town. The lodge is a short walk from the bustling Bole Road with many stores and restaurants nearby. The neighborhood felt safe and we walked around a fair amount but there were many taxis available including a driver from the hotel who was terrific (and a good translator). I would recommend this lovely lodge for any travelers to Addis and especially for families who need an apartment-style hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank SammiLev
South Carolina
Reviewed February 4, 2010

We stayed at the Sidama in January while we were in Addis adopting our daughter. It was myself, my husband, our 11 year old, and our newly adopted 3 year old. The Sidama Lodge is very clean. The staff is wonderful. They are very helpful and friendly. It's on a nice street that is very safe and not too loud. We stayed in a 2 room/2 bathroom and it was very spacious. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pookeber
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
Reviewed June 24, 2009

Sidama lodge is the best place to stay in addis, bar none. Right next to Habesha restaraunt, right off Bole. Sits in the middle of friendship center and dembel center. The rooms are beautiful, They come to your room in the morning and set your table and serve breakfast. Your choice you choose what you want the night before. My wife, her sister and me stayed in the 2 bedroom suite, more like an apartment, complete with balconies, yes plural, full living roo, kitchen and dining room. Also had 2 full baths. It cost us around $95. Better book early, when i came back in may, they were booked full

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Breckenridge, CO
Reviewed June 23, 2009

Big guest rooms, superb breakfast delivered to you room, attentive staff, first class service in every aspect and a cost that is way too reasonable to believe. But it is all true. Spent 1 week in Addis as part of an adoption process, and much of the time was actually spent in the room with our new daughter. It was just ideal; quiet, private and personal. We are still so grateful. Call me and I'll tell you all about it.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2009

I really like this place and stayed here whenever I could.

Staff are great. Internet in the rooms (not wifi though). Rooms are huge and well furnished, and all have a small kitchenette which is great if you are going to be staying for more than a week (at least you can organise yourself a quick easy meal when you get tired of restaurants.

Breakfast is served in your room/s which I personally enjoyed more than having to traipse down to a communal breakfast area and eat on my own.

For dinner you can always either walk a little ways down the road to three restaurants (Italian, Turkish and Ethiopian) or get one of the staff to dash out to those same restaurants and get whatever you want. (Reception has their menus). Alternatively walk down the road and catch a taxi.

Only possible downside is trying to catch a taxi early in the morning from outside the lodge. Rather get receptionist to phone for one.

Pricing is comparable to some of the bigger hotels, but you get way more value. Instead of a horrible little charmless box of a room, you will get a home away from home.
Bring earplugs though because occasionally other inconsiderate guest scan be noisy coming up the stairs late at night.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Dublin
Reviewed May 12, 2009

I stayed here last August during a business trip and what a treat. A lovely foyer with pleasant helpful staff greeted me on arrival. My bedroom and bathroom were large and my kitchen and living area very pleasant. Breakfast was delivered each morning to my room and the staff were more than helpful when I ordered take-out. And the location is a stone's throw from Bole Road and a short distance from the airport.I would definitely return here. It's nice to be able to relax in private quarters after a day at work.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business