“not very good”

Ranked #51 of 118 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Kildare, Ireland
“not very good”
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Stayed at the Weygoss the rooms were damp and we got bitten by bed bugs. They provided us with a dirty small cot for our baby. Moved to another hotel which was spotless clean, nice staff, lovely choice of breakfast and a lovely travel cot.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank vicky089

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Arabic first
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed August 1, 2010

We were in Addis for 3 weeks and stayed at Weygoss the entire time. The rooms were very clean, staff extremely friendly and helpul and the location was perfect for everything we wanted to do. The breakfast each morning was awesome and got us off to a good start each and every day. I especially enjoyed getting to know the staff as they were great....supportive, responsive and very kind. I loved it and would definitely stay here again when I return to Addis!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank Adrienne0622
Canada
Reviewed July 6, 2010

I stayed at the Weygoss for about 10 days, Feb-March 2010 when I adopted my daughter from Ethiopia. I travelled solo and am happy to report that all my fears of the trip and staying in a foreign country on my own were unfounded. The staff was amazing! From the very friendly, front-desk ladies who doted on my daughter and even watched her for me when I was on the internet, to the lovely cleaning ladies and the sweet guards at the gates who always had a smile and a kind word.

My daughter and I were treated so well - it felt like being in a safe cocoon. The room (with attached bathroom) was very basic but clean - cleaner than some places I've stayed in North America! We were always made to feel welcome and they all tried to accomodate anything I asked for as best as they could (especially given the frequent power outages during my visit)

I highly recommend the Weygoss Guest House - especially if you have children or will be picking up your newly-adopted children there.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
7 Thank nekogrrl
Fiji
Reviewed February 7, 2010

We spent five nights at this hotel. We booked our room through ethiopiahotelguide and received a printed confirmation that our taxi from the airport would be free. It even listed the name of the hotel staff that approved the booking. Upon arrival at the hotel, we were told that it was not included, even with the printed information, and asked to pay 100 birr, which is more than twice what most taxi's charge.
When we booked a 2am taxi through the hotel to go back to the airport, it didn't show up. The staff person that we woke up at the front desk indicated that they had not called for a taxi for us.
We dropped our laundry off at 8am, since they said if you drop it in the morning you can pick it up in the evening. That evening we asked about the laundry, and they said it had not been sent in, and that we should have dropped it off at 6am. Since we were leaving that night, we had to take back our dirty laundry. We suggested they write the laundry drop-off time on the laundry form we filled out to help out future guests, and were told that was not possible.
We asked for help sending our postcards (which had postage) before our flight left, as we had been unable to find a post office near the hotel, and were told they do not mail things from the hotel.
The breakfast was very basic, with stale bread.
On the positive side, they had hot water showers, tv with satellite reception, and were located right off Africa Ave with lots of shops near by. If the staff were a little more helpful and service oriented, it would be a much better place to stay.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ontheroad2009

Travelers are raving about these Addis Ababa hotels

London
Reviewed January 7, 2010

The Weygoss guesthouse was the first hotel I stayed in upon my arrival in Ethiopia, where I stayed for my first 4 nights and returned to for my last night in Ethiopia before my flight home to London.

The room they initially allocated to me was on the first floor but I asked if there was another room as I found this floor far too dark and I like light. The room I was then taken to and stayed in was based on the 3rd floor; a standard single room, very clean, a good size with tiled flooring and tastefully decorated. It had all the basics in furniture; a double bed, wardrobe, bedside table and dressing table and chair.

The bedsheets were clean and included a blanket which was nice touch as the nights in Ethiopia, even Addis, can get very cold.

The bathroom was clean but the shower area was a minor eyesore and like many of the other hotels I stayed in in the country the shower wasn’t enclosed so when you showered the water went everywhere and the toilet was too close to the shower. There was a shower curtain though.

The room also had an old television with remote control with not the best reception for all channels but at least one of the channels had a consistently decent reception.

The cleaners were very attentive with the cleaning of the hotel as daily I would see them thoroughly going over the hallway floor and stairway although I did notice that my bedroom floor wasn’t swept for the first couple of nights.

The breakfast was the standard fare for hotels in Ethiopia but the worst I had out of the 4 hotels I stayed in. You had a choice of an omelette OR boiled egg OR scrambled egg. The omelette being far too oily to the point of tasting deep fried. Jam, bread and cereal were left out on a table for guests to help themselves to but the bread was awful- dry every morning without failure.

The staff were nice and polite but for guests needing a taxi, the one that the hotel had on call charged the most extortionate prices; birr 100 to the hotel and birr 80 to Meskal square (although I needed a taxi to Meskal square for 5am when i was leaving to get my bus to move onto Bahir Dar, but come on it's 5 minutes away!)

The hotel is in a good location being in the middle of the Bole road so is in easy access and good distance from the airport, I’d say it is a 10 minute drive from the airport, and a 10 minute walk from Meskal square. Lastly, booking with the hotel is easy as they are quick to respond to email enquires; I think I emailed them 3 times with questions before making my booking and they responded promptly everytime.

A decent hotel but I think it is really over priced for what it is. I have never been to America but I truly believe that for $45 in the US, you would expect so much more.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank lushberry
Canada
Reviewed December 16, 2009

We stayed at the guest house for almost two months. I couldn't imagine a more convenient place for families to stay in Addis. The staff areexceptionally friendly and it's close to so many restaurants and services. The kids could play in the courtyard and we could order in easily. Don't expect the Ritz - there is no generator (and Addis often has power outages) and the rooms are plain. But it was our home away from home and we would take our kids to stay there again in a second.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank MaggieLaughlin
SUSSEX ENGLAND
Reviewed October 11, 2009

Istayed here in between internal flights around the country three seperate times in one holiday. The staff were great and friendly the rooms were adequate but small high window.Icould order in food from a comany called ice blue,room service of good pizzas and cold beers CSI on the box thats good enough for me.Breakfast was served in lobby area which was a bit cramped if you timed it wrong but very nice food and very good coffee . I bought a pound of steak from a local butcher chopped it up and fed it to diving black kites from the sunny roof terrace, testing photography.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business