“LOVED IT!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mr. Martins Cozy Place

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Mr. Martins Cozy Place
Oregon
“LOVED IT!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2009

We traveled to Ethiopia and stayed at the Cozy Place for nearly 1 month. We had a large group and they were so willing to accomodate us- even when plans changed and we had to end up staying longer. The staff was absolutely wonderful and truely made it such a wonderful place to stay. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank coupeymom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Hebrew first
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2009

I lived a year in the highlands of Ethiopia doing research. In the course of that year, I had to make several week-long trips into Addis for camp supplies and data send-off. Mr. Martin's was always my number one lodging choice while there. It's conveniently located in the Bole area a few blocks away from numerous cafes and restaurants, as well as the new Edna Mall. If you don't want to leave the hotel, you can always sit down in the beautiful courtyard with a coffee and book or chat it up with the friendly staff and patrons. It was definitely nice to come back after months in the field to a safe haven where you knew the people and could trust them. I do recommend booking ahead, as rooms fill up fast!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2009

Over the course of a year doing field ecology research in Ethiopia I spent every restocking/lesuire trip back to Addis lodging in the various rooms of the Cozy Place, in total spending well over a month there. This place blows every other budget lodging option away in Addis. The small courtyard truly is a great place to enjoy a few beers (or a delicious macchiato) while interacting with the colorful and diverse crowd the Cozy place uniquely attracts. Aside from the overall awesome mood of the place, its fantastically friendly and helpful staff make this a home away from home. There is no better feeling than walking through the alleyway and into the Cozy Place courtyard after a long absence. So get to know it and enjoy the beauty and vibrancy of Ethiopia from a peaceful enclave in the middle of bustling Addis. I'd recommend booking ahead most times of the year as word was starting to spread even back in 2008. Cheers, Jeff Kerby

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Spokane, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2009

Mr. Martin's Cozy place was clean, affordable, safe, and convenient. The staff was very friendly and helpful in many ways. Their food was delicious, and the coffee unforgettable. I will definitely be staying at the Cozy Place when I return to Addis.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2009

My husband, 3-year-old son and I stayed at the Cozy Place in December 2008, and January 2009 for about 6 weeks. The last 3 weeks I was on my own there with my son, as my husband needed to go home for work. The Cozy Place was just that ... cozy! The staff there were fantastic, they even loaned me money when my husband's money transfer didn't arrive on time. If we'd stayed anywhere else, we would not have been able to eat!

We stayed in three different rooms throughout our stay, as we did some travelling out of the city, and then came back to Addis. The double room had a huge king size bed, with a desk and wardrobe, most suitable for a single person or a couple. The first Family Room that we stayed in had one double bed and one single bed in one room, plus an adjoining room with a basic Ethiopian style lounge suite and a desk and wardrobe. The other Family Room that we stayed in for most of our stay was the same, but it also had a bar fridge and a T.V. I cannot fault any of the three rooms that we stayed in, they were always immaculately cleaned by the cleaning ladies, beds were always freshly made every day, and not a hint of a bed bug anywhere throughout our entire stay. In fact I saw the cleaners airing out the mattresses in the sun from the rooms where no-one was currently staying.

We had the ladies do our washing every day, always very well washed, and dry, and folded, and delivered back to your room the following day. We always ate breakfast, and often dinner, at the Cozy Place. The food was excellent, well prepared and well cooked. We never got sick from any food we ate there.

The electricity often goes out all over Ethiopia, and the staff at the Cozy Place were always very well prepared with plenty of candles and torches for everyone. I had a problem with the hot water heater in our bathroom, and the problem was fixed immediately. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff at the Cozy Place. They even helped us to translate to our friends when we needed it on several occasions, and had very good travel advice for places to visit outside of Addis Ababa. They were also happy to help with my son while I was there on my own, and I also saw them helping other guests with their babies. They organised a very reliable taxi driver for us when our regular driver became very unreliable. We used this new taxi drvier almost every day, and he was honest, very reliable, and had good English. He would also go out of his way to help us if we needed it.

There were a variety of people who came through the Cozy Place while we were there, and we celebrated many special occasions, such as Christmas, New Year, and Timket with the other travellers and the staff. We all had an excellent time.

I would highly recommend this accommodation to anyone on a budget when travelling in Ethiopia. We had the best time there, the service was excellent, the rates were excellent, and we loved our stay there. We can't wait to go back and visit again some day.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Fort Worth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2009

I stayed at Cozy Place for an entire month with my 7 and 9 year old son's. The staff took such good care of our every need and helped make emergency arrangements for a friend of mine that needed last minute lodging.
The beautiful courtyard provided hours of comfortable relaxation and entertainment for our family and friends. The prices were so reasonable and the location was centrally located to all of the places my family visited during our stay.
I reccomend Cozy Place to my friends traveling through Addis Ababa. I have not found a better guest house or a nicer staff.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Zurich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2009

I am some what of a regular here, have stayed there on an off for about 3 months on business trips to Ethiopia. If your young and want a cool place to say where you can chill and sip st George beer or a family with kids looking for a clean budget option then this is probably the best Addis has to offer. Don't expect luxury of any sort but the service and abidance will more than make up for it!

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business