“Overcharged for horrible looking rooms”
Review of Baro Hotel

Baro Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Addis Ababa
Baro Hotel
Ranked #87 of 124 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I checked in at night, and from the outside it looks really nice, but the rooms....oh the rooms. For the price I paid (210 birr per night) not worth it at all!!!!! Either the guy just overcharged me, but these rooms are not worth $12 a night! I was definitely ripped off and don't recommend this hostel at all! Friendly staff, but you know what, that's not gonna help me sleep at night.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Chaia84

Reviewed August 7, 2011

The rooms are super cheap, VERY basic, but clean. You do get your own bathroom. The smaller ones (twin size bed) come to 95 birr a night while the larger ones are 115. The cheap linoleum was cracked and coming up in places and my closet was pretty much unfinished. You have to be careful with the larger rooms, since the windows are so large that it would be easy to step through them. If you were in America, these might be condemned or get 1/2 of a star. In Addis, however, these are pretty average rooms at a below average price.

Something in the bathroom of my small room was leaking horribly, and they didn't fix it so I switched rooms. I stayed in Addis for 3 months and spent my first week here. The courtyard is nice and there are a lot of faranjis hanging about. The kitchen staff is nice.

The best part about the Baro is that it is right in the middle of the Piazza. It is the jumping off point for a lot of taxi-buses (the blue and white vans) that can get you from point A to point B for about 2 bir. You can catch ones to Paulos (ok, not the best area, but that was where my hospital was), the mercato, and Bole. The Piazza is considered the best place in all of Addis to buy jewelry, and there are quite a few other shops as well.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
8  Thank Klassykat
Reviewed February 12, 2011

I stayed here twice during my trip -- ie at the start, and then i came again when i passed through Addis at the end. In other words, i liked it enough to return: the rooms are basic and mostly a bit dark, but clean. And the leafy yard and sitting area is great for having a first, and last, makiato. And for meeting other travellers, which is key when travelling on your own. Go for it -- good value!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank craxetta
Reviewed July 21, 2010

The price of this place is great, and our double room with 2 queen beds was big enough, and the beds were clean. The beds were a bit wrecked though so my back (which doesn't normally have problems) was a bit sore after. They didn't seem to have cleaned the bathroom in a long time so I made sure I didn't go in there barefoot. Location is good, but there is plenty of competition in the Piazza area...

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jon o
Reviewed January 8, 2010

I stayed at the Baro Hotel between November and December dispersed between trips to Awassa, Nazret and Bahir Dar I had a single room. For the money it was a very good deal, the room was clean with a tiny bathroom and very hot shower if your on a tight budget. I would recommend this Hotel the staff are also very friendly and helpful the Baro is near main mini bus routes so you can go anywhere in the city no problem.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank BlackBrit
Reviewed December 28, 2009

I was on Baro Hotel during 4 or 5 nights in September. It is perfect if you travel with a limited budget. Rooms are clean, and has bathroom.

It is perfect if you look for a cheap hotel and has not really big expectations. I only want to have a place to sleep and left my bag, so this was a good place.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Chikerelo
Reviewed March 26, 2009

the best hospitality and friendly staffs.fell like home

• Stayed: January 2009