“Amazing People”
Review of AREQU Guest House

AREQU Guest House
Ranked #2 of 255 Addis Ababa B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 4, 2013

This hotel prompted me to write my first review. The hotel is run by a wonderful family, who treat you as if you're a relative. I drank tea with the owner's mother as she told me her family's story, and how the hotel was built by her son. They allowed me to store my large bags for a week (for free) while I traveled to Gondar and Lalibela. When I came back, I retrieved my bags and waited 8 hours before going to the airport...but they insisted that I sleep and shower in a room, without charging me. They can easily arrange a vehicle to take you anywhere, and I arranged to be picked up from the airport parking lot (for free).

The hotel is literally 5 minutes from the airport. It's adequate for business (why stay at the Sheraton or Intercon for $200/night?), and suitable for regular travel. The rooms and hotel are very clean, and everything works well. Anyone from grungy aid workers or backpackers to old retired folks on their first trip to Africa would find this hotel to be suitable to their needs.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank CMH1234
There are newer reviews for AREQU Guest House

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed here for a week in May whilst working in Addis I cannot recommend it enough. I have visited and stayed in Addis over 20 times over the last 8-9 years and it is by far the best value for money and friendliest place I have stayed. The owner, her family and the team are very helpful, Meskerme the chef makes lovely breakfasts and coffee and I was looked after friendly and professionally. On top of all that the beds and rooms are modern, comfortable and clean and the hot water runs when needed.

Will I stay on my next visit? Most definately !

Nick

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Nick741
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed at Arequ Guest House for 10 weeks for a summer job, and I can honestly say, I felt at home during my time in Ethiopia. The rooms are first class, breakfast in the morning, and very friendly staff. The home is owned and managed by a wonderful family. Location is perfect - 5 minutes from the airport and a short walk away from Bole. I will definitely be staying here on future trips to Addis Ababa!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Meena N
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Working in Ethiopia since 1993, I have had a chance to stay in numerous hotels and guesthouses in Addis Ababa. I can easily put Arequ guesthouse at the top of my list for any traveler who wants to have a nicely decorated, spacious room with the greatest hospitality to receive from the staff. The home-made cookies and complimentary tea and coffee ceremony are few additional perks that you will receive at this family owned establishment. I highly recommend this place for your stays in Addis, especially if you have access to a means of transport. The only issue with this guesthouse is that it is located close to the airport and ring road and finding a taxi might be a problem and you need to arrange for the transport to the town.

Room Tip: If you are ready to pay a little more and also climb the stairs, I highly recommend the suite that i...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Farzad_60
Reviewed May 3, 2013

It was a most pleasant two nights stay as we enjoyed Ethiopian hospitality in a nice homely atmosphere. B&B standards (bed, bad, TV, and Internet access) corresponded to what we are used to in western Europe. The lady of the house was very friendly, offered us her self-made pancakes and Ginger-tee as well as she gave us a ride to the next Supermarket. The only down-sides were the traffic on the highway that we would hear night and day and the missing courtyard or garden that would have allowed us to enjoy the nice weather.

Room Tip: The suite on the top floor has a generous roofgarden but it is more expensive.
Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Hen B
Reviewed April 26, 2013

The Arequ Guest House has got to be one of the best stays in Addis Ababa. The owners and staff are the most pleasant and helpful hosts in the city. Having stayed in at least 10 hotels and guest houses in and around Addis Ababa I would say this is a top choice! Unfortunately, the guest house is on the other side of town from my wife's family's home so after a few days of struggling with the city's traffic we decided to move to a hotel closer to the family.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank pfcowden
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Arequ is very peaceful and cozy. It feels like a true "B&B" back in the States. Everything has a charming atmosphere to it, and it is all a rustic theme. We were welcomed with tea and cookies, and slept in the most comfortable beds in Ethiopia. They also helped us find a restaurant near by and called a taxi for us.

The breakfast in the morning was absolutely fantastic. Fresh coffee, tea, bananas, pancakes, hard-boiled AND scrambled eggs, toast, muffins, cheese, the list goes on. They really make you feel pampered here!

The rooms are spotless, the shower is hot, and there was even cable tv in each room! I highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: The higher up, the better. Great views!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple