“Cupcakes”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed October 22, 2012

They make the best cinnabuns I have tasted in a very long time. The place has such a fresh feel in between the construction going on in the area.

There are newer reviews for Cupcake Delights Bakery

Reviewed October 13, 2012

If you need a change from Injera, check out this place (which also sells all your local favourites!)

The salads and fruit splices are tasty & the pizzas and burgers looked great. A large range of spectacular cakes are quickly sold and everything in this café is fresh and delicious.

Recommended.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Like another reviewer, I also stayed in a hotel opposite this place and was delighted to have such a great cafe across the street. I stayed here while planning a workshop to be held up-country, so it was perfect for escaping my room. Its light and airy, modern and clean, staff are friendly, and food was great. I went here for cappuccino and cupcakes a few times (excellent), but also for lunch twice and dinner once. I tried out the sandwiches, salads and burger. The tuna sandwich had more creamy mayo in than tuna, but salads and breads were fresh. Yum! Definitely worth a visit!

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We came here multiple times for the farenji food- it's pretty good- try the fajitas. The Flavored macchiatos are delicious as well and you have to try the cinnamon roll! The other desserts looked good but didn't taste great.

1  Thank JacSanFrancisco_CA
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This place was just opposite the hotel I was staying at in Addis for a couple of weeks and it was my regular haven for lovely food and smiling service.

There are plenty of options for breakfast; french toast with banana and maple syrup (gorgeous if you need a big blowout and are happy to skip lunch!), omelette with tomato, onion and pepper (lovely and light to get your morning started - also served with herb bread) or scrambled eggs or stacks of pancakes (haven't tried these last two...yet!)

Their BBQ burger is excellent - lovely homemade burger with nice herb flavouring and hand-cut and somewhat over-cooked chips (I like 'em that way!), cheese smothered pizza with nice thin crust and chill dip. The chicken pomodoro is wholly Italian in flavour; rich tomato sauce, flavoured with garlic, olives and rosemary - but perhaps less authentic in presentation and could do with some veg on the side. The only average meal I had was the mozzarella panini; a little too heavy on the pesto and needed longer in the grill to make the cheese all melty rather than chewy. And call me nostalgic but they serve the ketchup in those big tomatoes that the Wimpy used to use way back when I was at school...am sure it tastes better!

Their smoothies are utterly adorable; I've tried the mango and strawberry and just cannot wean myself off the latter, whilst the coffee (black americano and espresso are the only tipples I take) is great. I tried the cinnamon roll for dessert - it's yummy but I felt like I'd over-indulged afterwards. I just can't handle the guilt...

Price/value is tricky to assess as it's always relative - it's not an ex-pat haven that's for certain, it's typically full of familes when I've been there. I saw somewhere that said the coffee was 1000% more than it should be - that just doesn't sound right to me; an espresso costs 10Birr (without tax of course) so is less than $1. Perhaps that is expensive by Addis prices - I'm no expert on that - but it certainly is cheap for ex-pats. Overall, I've found I can have a VERY decent breakfast for between $3 and $6 and dinner for between $11 and $15. I guess it's down to people to judge the value for themselves.

The place itself has indoor and outdoor seating, the indoor is bright, airy and clean and the staff are always welcoming, smiley and attentive.

Anyway, I love this place and hope it keeps going just the way it is.

2  Thank RibZed