“Good place to stay and reasonably priced!”
Review of Semien Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Addis Ababa
Semien Hotel
Ranked #76 of 124 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Reviewed March 9, 2013

After three months of traveling and doing fieldwork in southwestern Ethiopia, I needed a place to stay in Addis Ababa before finally flying home. A number of my research colleagues have also stayed in and recommend this hotel. Although the food in the restaurant isn't great and the customer service isn't spectacular, the hotel is perfect for a good, safe night of sleep. The rooms are reasonably clean and good sized with cable, flat screened TVs, spotty WiFi access, and flushing toilets. The balcony was decent, but the view was of the backside of nearby buildings.

The bed with crisp white sheets and plush pillows were, however, the perfect treat before flying home. The hot shower was great too! There is a swanky-like vibe bar area with flat screened TVs. Both the bar and restaurant are reasonably priced. There is also a little room that offers computers and internet access to guests for a small by-minute rate. Close access to all kinds of restaurants and shopping are located nearby. I got the impression that this hotel was mainly catering to business professionals, but that meant they were helpful in setting up a taxi to the airport for me at 3 in the morning (not local time).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Semien Hotel is a three star hotel in Addis Ababa with very reasonable rates. The rooms are decent and the staff is generally very helpful. Maybe the only drawback is that it is a bit away from the main areas of the city. And of course the meals are all Ethiopian.

But generally I keep coming back to this hotel as the price and location are advantageous to me.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I spent 4 nights in a room on the third floor in Semien Hotel in November 2011. I pretty much spent all my time in the hotel because in the day time I facilitated a workshop in the conference room on the 7th floor, from where you get a 360 degree view of the city. The hills in the distance hint at wonders to be explored, but what you see below is just an urban sprawl and a constant snarl at the intersection nearby.

My room was small and comfortable enough, and there were a couple of decent channels on TV. I had to sleep with the balcony door open because there didn't seem to be any other ventilation in the room. I'm not used to sleeping like this so I kept waking up in anxiety.

The bathroom was dominated by a huge water heater that hung threateningly over the bathtub. It was simply too immense.

There was no wi-fi or Internet connectivity in the room, but I could use the free wi-fi in the lobby.

I ate all my meals at Semien and got sick of the food the first time I had it. Thankfully the food itself didn't make me sick. It was far too oily, far too dark, and far too strange. Injera, of course, is served during all meals, and it was often the only non-greasy thing excluding the salad. I developed a taste for injera, but what made the meals worthwhile was coffee. Ethiopian coffee: need I say more?

The hotel staff were polite and seemed comfortable interacting with international clientele. There were some issues with the conference room, but that happens everywhere.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Stayed here four nights on 5th floor, great views! Leak from the ceiling on first night lost some sleep but changed rooms next door. Lost an iPod in the process..hotel staff cagey about finding it. Maintenance very poor, so more problems likely. All meals local buffet with plenty of choice and reasonable so many locals drop in. Wifi works only in the lobby. Staff helpful but ignorant and many do not speak English. Close enough for the city's main sights and transport to and from the hotel very convenient.
Good value but you need cash as they do not take any cards.

Room Tip: The higher the room, the better the view
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank A B
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I was booked here by another organization who paid the business trip. I basically did not get hardly any sleep in the ten nights here. The rooms are fairly clean and the view from mine on the 5th floor was great. The water from my shower leaked up through the floor drain and came out in a trickly. There are cracks in the walls and some mold in the corners. The internet only works in the lobby which is a bit of a pain if you have work to do. The gym has some very good equipment to use but cramped. The restaurant has a good dinner buffet but breakfast is very Ethiopian so foreign travellers like me have little selection. My shaving cream was stolen from my room and when I advised the front desk they just smiled and said "thank you". The noise from the street at night, and ALL night, is unbearable. There must be no noise laws in Addis as the music pounds the hotel until sun up. I have slept 10 hours two nights in the row since coming home as I was so eshausted from the stay at Semien. Over the weekend there were two attempts to rob me and one con artist. One of the robberies was just around the corner of the hotel where a guy spit on me then as he wiped it off felt my pockets (after the first attempt I was not carrying any cash).

Room Tip: Any one NOT facing the street.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank LoveTravellilng
Reviewed November 28, 2012

The rooms are not big but they are clean and comfortable! We had hot water which was nice! The staff was very friendly and the service was great! The breakfast buffet was good! They also have W-FI in the Lobby! This is not a 5* but it was more than we were expecting for our first trip to Ethiopia !!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I've been staying at Semien for shorter and longer periods from 2009 to the present (November 2012). The hotel always had a congenial atmosphere, friendly and with an easy going feeling among the staff. The rooms are now overhauled and kept clean and functional. There is wifi - but it reaches only as far as the lobby. The small business centre has most of what you need for a business trip - fax, copier, computers. The hotel is located within easy reach of Mercato, close to the old city centre of Piazza and the old post office but quite a bit from the flashy places along the Bole road. The hotel is consquently not frequented by the beautiful people but mostly by Ethiopian business men and Ethiopian families. Its buffet lunches and dinners are widely appreciated. The "foreign" menu is OK but not spectacular.

Room Tip: Choose a room towards the back to avoid street noises. Religious noises from evangelical and orthodo...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business