“Very pricey and almost worth it”

Sheraton Addis, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #3 of 118 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Singapore
“Very pricey and almost worth it”
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night and the Sheraton is very good but I find US$390 excessive. Expedia did get in the way so that probably explained a chunk of it. Everything went very well until I tried to take up a kind offer by one of the staff to checkout and come back later to have a shower before heading off to the airport for my 00:40 am flight. Unfortunately this was not communicated to staff in charge of the facilities at the Swimming Pool ! My other option was to pay an additional 50% for a 6pm checkout; after that it would be 100%.
One of the trips down memory lane was brought on by the frequent power blackouts in the rooms (every 15 mins or so) which was reminiscent of traveling in China in the 90's. Not sure I want to pay almost 400 for the trip down memory lane though.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I have stayed at the Sheraton many times. Service is always prompt and very friendly. Rooms are well appointed with all the amenities one may require for a business or leisure trip. They have a very good room service menu and the buffet breakfast is good. The only downfall of this property is that there is no gym. When paying $350+ per night, you would expect a gym.

A good hotel which is on the expensive side, but I do think you get what you pay for. Whenever I'm in Addis, I almost always stay at the Sheraton.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Luan R
Cowanesque, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Loved the place, great rooms very nice staff and the food was very good. I would highly recommend this to any and all travelers, views out the back were very nice. Service was as well as you should expect as the location goes...take time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank grantbagpiper
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

I normally stay at the Sheraton when I am in Addis Ababa on business. Thia time I was extremely disappointed. The service was sub par and something was lacking. First, our travel agent confirmed us hotel transportation. When we arrived we were told our transportation was waiting, we get to the parking lot and were told the transportation is for another customer and we were left waiting in the parkkng lot for 10 minutes and then told we had to wait for other guest. I wish they were up front a head of time. Then when we arrived at the hotel only some of the guest had to go through the medal detector. I don't understand. My itinerary showed a late checkout and the system did not. We had to explain why we needed a late checkout and see if the rooms were available. The service was off. The hotel grounds and pool area are beautiful.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank JK_Queen
Alexandria, Egypt
Reviewed February 3, 2014

The hotel is one of the most luxurious hotels that can be found in Ethiopia. Staff is quite friendly and the room is pacious enough and has all amenities required. I enjoyed the swimming pool and the spa, I do recommend a good massage after along day of work. No compromise about cleanliness in the hotel, and the food was good especially in summerfield's restaurant, enjoyed a nice open buffet for dinner. The breakfast is relatively good, a big variety of choices but was not adequate to my taste, I'm not the kperson who enjoys soup, rice or chicken wings early in the morning...

Room Tip: Would be nice if you can get amroommwith a pool view, much better view than that on the entrance
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank mohamedmanso
ReaderAddisAbaba, Management Team at Sheraton Addis, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are glad to hear that your overall stay with us was to your expectation except the breakfast was not adequate to your taste.
Your feedback is very important to us and we hope you will have the possibility to return to us some time in the near future and we all wish you warm welcome back!

Sheraton Addis,
Management Team
Shropshire,UK
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I have given it only a Very Good as the service in the Summerfields restaurant was not good at all. Extremely slow on the three occasions we ate there lunch, dinner and breakfast. The staff seemed disinterested in serving their customers. The food, however, was excellent when it eventually arrived. The service in the tea room was, in contrast, very good indeed.
Very nice room, super comfy bed and bedlinen - all very clean. Bathroom fine and with shower gel, shampoo, tissues etc and hair dryer. All things we take for granted in hotels in many other countries but not so common in Ethiopia -yet. I would definitely choose to stay here in transit on any future trip to Addis.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank luka99
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed January 5, 2014

This 5 star hotel which I've been visiting for the third time is getting really old. In principle I like the hotel, but it is time to improve things on a wide basis. They should start to renovate it. The bathrooms fittings are getting real old, the shower was not working properly etc.
Furthermore, housekeeping should improve drastically for a 5 star hotel, when we arrived the room was unclean, and during our 9 days stay we were quite astonished about the low quality of cleaning the rooms. I found old French fries under the bed, the room was not vacuumed properly or at all etc.
At breakfast it takes them ages to serve coffee or tea, all in all the salesgirls in the hotel shops are quite unfriendly.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family