Sheraton Addis, a Luxury Collection Hotel
$79
Caravan Hotel(Addis Ababa)
$47
$101
Addis Regency Hotel(Addis Ababa)
$57
Nazra Hotel(Addis Ababa)
$66
Ambassador Hotel(Addis Ababa)
$77
Addissinia Hotel(Addis Ababa)
$102
$73
All reviewsoffice barexercise bikebuffet restaurantbeautiful hotelnicest hotelan oasislive bandthe executive loungegreat poolrestaurants and barsother hotelscomfortable roomsethiopian foodbusiness tripafricaspgsecurity
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Travelled with wife family and son.

-Rooms are great - tasteful furniture, Hermes bath products, great selection of fruits if you have SPG status

- Not much incentive to leave the premises when you have such excellent restaurants that are reasonably priced (family of 3 ate for less than $50) - they have a continental, Indian and Italian restaurant. The Italian restaurant was absolutely great.

-Service is lacklustre for the price of this hotel - the concierge is downright foolish (knows nothing about the city; happy to push you to rent his drivers and his cars who are probably his substitute for local knowledge). If you want to take taxis, just walk outside of the gates of the hotel and bargain 75% off whatever someone quotes you.

- The executive lounge is average. Not having a gym is mind numbingly disappointing.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
ReaderAddisAbaba, Management Team at Sheraton Addis, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your stay with us and we are happy to hear that your overall experience was good except some issues. We regret to read that the concierge did not deliver the standard of the hotel. We do apologies for this inconvenience and this is not a kind of services we deliver to our guests. Please be informed that we have forwarded your feedback to the relevant department, in order to prevent any similar situation in the future. Regarding lack of gym, we understand your disappointment. However, we provide exercise bike up on request for our guests in an attempt to meeting their need of the fitness center; again please accept our apologies if the bikes were not offered for you.

We hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Sheraton Addis,
Management Team

Reviewed November 16, 2013

My opinion of this hotel is bipolar. I had both moments of brilliance and disaster. As an SPG gold member/preferred guest, I am sure I even got a better experience than others.

Good points:
Great reservation team, good location, wonderful pickup/drop-off service from the airport, good rooms, loads of options for restaurants and a nice pool to swim in.

Bad points:
The air-conditioning did not work (I stayed for 7 nights) and could not sleep. The room was right above the club so if I opened the door I could not hear myself think and if I closed it I suffocated. The restaurant were ALWAYS full for dinner, other than the buffet which serves terrible terrible food and has atrocious and rude service. There is no gym (yes, there's a large pool, a million rooms, a spa and 5 restaurant but NO GYM). The concierge service is utterly useless (I might as well have taken advice from eskimos about Ethiopia). But the best part of it all? I got the wrong bill from a night in the bar so had to fork out over $1,000 USD more than I was expecting for a bottle of champagne I never had. I don't even drink the stuff!

Stay at the Radisson, I hear it was much better from the conference delegates I was with during this trip.

Room Tip: Overlooking the fountain and not the carpark/pool.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank terrymlon

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay here at the Sheraton Addis Hotel. As we are in a constant process of improvement, your feedback is highly appreciated.
We would like to inform you that the process of replacing the chillers for the entire hotel has been completed recently and the problem of the air-conditioning is resolved. Regarding the gym, it is true we do not have the gym facilities, however, we provide exercise bike to guest rooms up on request and based on availably for our guests in an attempt to meeting their need of the fitness center; again please accept our apologies if the bikes were not offered for you.
As to the other issues mentioned, please be informed that we have forwarded your feedback to the relevant department in order to prevent any similar situations in the future.
We certainly hope this experience won't deter you from staying with us on future visits to Addis Ababa.

Thank you once more.

Sheraton Addis,
Management Team

Reviewed November 15, 2013

I have stayed at the Sheraton Addis several times over the past few years, but this time was really a disappointment. This 7-star hotel is part of the Sheraton Luxury Collection -- and the hefty room rates lead one to expect a truly exceptional experience. Such used to be the case. The facilities are stunning, truly a jewel in the Sheraton crown. But, one expects perfection in a 7-star hotel. In my room, the hair dryer didn't work, one of the lamps on the bedside table was broken, and the staff did not replace some service items in my room. Also, I waited over an hour for coffee to be delivered one morning, even though I had ordered the night before. These are minor details, which I would easily overlook in any other context....but, 7 stars should be 7 stars. Personally, I don't think the Sheraton is worth the price. There are numerous hotels in Addis -- not even remotely as fancy -- but certainly acceptable, with service that can make one overlook floors that are not marble, and the lack of a dancing laser fountain in the back terrace...

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the fountain (back of the hotel) -- street noise is a real problem for the front-facing rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Kriss B
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton for 5 nights. I list the positives/negatives of my stay at the Sheraton below:

Positives
- outstanding hotel property in Addis
- very clean and modern facilities
- comfy beds & spacious rooms
- nice mix between a resort feel hotel and a business hotel - so great for spouses who may be accompanying their spouses on a business trip/conference
- live entertainment and various dining options
- lively bar scene with many locations for cocktails
- great wifi - I streamed my TV shows from the US with little delay
- swimming pool with outdoor lounge area with sun loungers
- Executive lounge with warm staff members and average offering of snacks/complimentary drinks

Negatives
- Service around the hotel can be a bit slow - particularly at the lobby bar and the pool area & for services like a bellhop
- No fitness center. If you want to work out, they will wheel an exercise bike into your room for your use…literally. The resort is huge - why is there no fitness centre? Perplexing!
- Food - I was thoroughly disappointed with the food in Addis period. But since I stuck with pretty basic foods at the Sheraton, I thought I could avoid disappointment. Not so much. Rotisserie chicken (overcooked and tough); French Fries (never served hot - they always came out room temp); Baked potato (not cooked long enough so still quite hard).
Spa - facilities are good but I wouldn't say luxurious. The treatment rooms have no A/C so be prepared for a "warm massage." And my massage was below average and too oily. If I had it to do again, I'd skip the spa.

All in all though, a great hotel option for Addis and one that I would most definitely return to if I were in Addis again. But I'm always perplexed how the star ratings of hotels are handed out. Do hotel properties just make it up themselves? The Sheraton, IMO, is a solid 4 star property. For a 5 star property, I expect the look/feel of the hotel, facilities of the hotel, food/beverage offerings of the hotel and service level of most staff members to be impeccable. So, while I enjoyed my stay at the Sheraton Addis, I did not feel like I was at a 5 star property compared to other 5 star hotels that I have stayed at around the globe.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the lush gardens. Very nice wake up view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OnlyNYCTravelDiva
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Standard Sheraton hotel, with everything one might expect from a hotel representing this chain (e.g. rooms, staff, facilities, etc.). Location is very good, in the center of the city and not so far from the international airport.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo