“Quite a disappointing experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Addis Ababa

Hilton Addis Ababa
Ranked #11 of 118 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Nairobi, Kenya
“Quite a disappointing experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

Really disappointed by the whole thing.
Basically, if you want to return in the past, this is the right address. Built and inaugurated in 1969, it has not changed since. Still quite old looking, the rooms have never been renovated. Need to push the door of the room with the shoulder to open it. The service is not that great and every thing you ask for looks like it is the first time they get such a request and it takes ages to have anything.
The restaurant is really bad, especially for dinner. Takes a long time to get served and food is really not good. Breakfast is alright.
Internet has been down for one whole day, starting one hour after you purchase the 24 hour bundle. Oh yes, because they make you pay for it. Nice for a business trip. And of course you have to double check because they still want to charge you at the end for the internet you could not use.
And then you have to pay for one full hour for the business center.

The gym is nice, but do not try the sauna, quite dirty.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Gaarder-Larsen, General Manager at Hilton Addis Ababa, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Dear Eric D, Let me start by thanking you for your evaluation of our hotel on Trip Advisor, direct guest feedback like yours an important tool to gage our performance, allowing us to monitor and focus on you needs as a guest in our hotel. Your constructive comments are very much appreciated and are extremely valuable for us to improve our services in the future.

I’m sorry to learn that we weren’t able to satisfy you during your stay with us in Addis Ababa. I’ve taken note of your comment and have taken the liberty of shearing them with my entire management team.

I am happy to inform you that we’re currently working with the owners on a Master renovation plan to address issues of aged facilities and other addressed issued. We do pride ourselves on our Ethiopian hospitality and I do sincerely hope you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience and that you will reconsider your position and choose to stay with us again in the near future.
Thank you once aging for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Adds Ababa.

Haakon Gaarder-Larsen, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

This was not my first stay and drawing near I could see that generally it has not changed. Yes the security scanner is now outside - sure that will change when it gets a little cooler? The bar area is always crowded and so it was this time. The rooms are adequate as are the bathrooms - would be nice if they had a make over to bring them up to 21st century status - I either had cold or scalding water to shower prior to 5 minutes micro adjustments! The staff are very good. The porridge for breakfast takes me back to my youth in the winter months in England preparing for primary school - happy days!! The hotel is not immune to the outside world of Ethiopia - the internet is now either good or non existent! Enjoy your stay!

Thank Mark S. G
Gaarder-Larsen, General Manager at Hilton Addis Ababa, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear Mark S.G let me start by thanking you for your evaluation of Hilton Addis Ababa on Trip Advisor, direct guest feedback like yours is an important tool to gage our performance, allowing us to monitor and focus on you needs as a guest in our hotel. Your constructive comments are very much appreciated and are extremely valuable for us to improve our services in the future.

The hotel has since the opening in 1969 gone through several refurbishment cycles, and upon reading your comment I am happy to inform you that and we’re currently working with the owners on the plan for another Master Plan to address issues of aged facilities. With that said we’re constantly working to keep areas of the hotel updated and over the last 12 months we changed all our guest room beds, televisions and guest linens, we’ve also just finalized upgrading our recreation and internet facilities, offering complimentary Wi-Fi internet to our in-house guests across the hotel. As part of this upgrade we’ve also added additional internet fiber optic lines, actions that should allow a better stability with fewer interruptions as a result of breakdowns within the external network.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed everything about the hotel except when I had to go to my room which was not maintained through the years-dirty carpets,old wobbly fixtures. Just did not like the room.

Otherwise, friendly staff,excellent fast wifi that you pay for, good breakfast and decent bar area. I did not try the restaurant for other meals and hence cannot comment.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Ravi_Kalaichelvan, let me start by thanking you for sharing you opinion of our hotel on Trip Advisor, direct guest feedback like yours an important tool to gage our performance. Your comments are appreciated and extremely valuable for us to improve our services in the future.

I’ve taken note of your comment regarding renovation of the building, and I’m happy to inform you that we’re currently working with the owners on a renovation plan to address issues of aged facilities and other addressed issued. With that said we’re constantly working to keep areas of the hotel updated and has over the last 12 months replaced all our guest room beds, televisions and guest linens, we’ve also upgraded our recreation facilities, outdoor restaurant as well as our internet network enabling us to offer all our in-house guests complimentary wireless internet access.

Thank you very much for your kind words on our team members, and breakfast service.

abuja, Nigeria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

The Hilton Addis Ababa is a good pleasant Business and family Hotel and I recommend it to anyone visiting Ethiopia to stay there. it has spas, excellent restaurants, pool and other facilities fro leisure worth experiencing .

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Gaarder-Larsen, General Manager at Hilton Addis Ababa, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Sinanzeni C, Please allow me to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to fill out a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor.

It is only through this valuable tool that we are able to gain first hand feedback about our performance hence allowing us to monitor and further enhance our services by focusing on your needs as a guest in the hotel.

Upon reading your completed form, I was happy to learn you had enjoyed your stay with us in Addis Ababa.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and I look forward to welcome you back to Hilton Addis Ababa.

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

fair experience I don't have much to say again because am not happy with Hilton treatments. it is only a very happy mind that can give good advises and services. you will need to make Hilton hotel to be more caring, train and retrain staffs for competence and respect their guests

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear TripAdvisor Member, Thank you for taking time to share your experiences from Hilton Addis Ababa with the TripAdvisor community. Direct guest feedback is a valuable tool to gage our performance, allowing us to monitor and further enhance our services by focusing on your needs as a guest in the hotel.

I’ve taken note of your comments. Hilton Addis Ababa invest considerable resources in training of its team members and am sorry you feel your team members are uncaring and that they require additional training.

Cleveland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

This is a well run hotel. Courteous staff. Excellent facilities. They know what they are doing when it comes to hospitality. I enjoyed every minute of my stay. The food in the restaurant is first class. Lots of choices. The room is neat. Internet connectivity was good. This hotel lives up to the famous Hilton brand.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Gaarder-Larsen, General Manager at Hilton Addis Ababa, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Oluride L, Please allow me to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to fill out a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor.

It is only through this valuable tool that we are able to gain first hand feedback about our performance, hence allowing us to monitor and further enhance our services by focusing on your needs as a guest in the hotel.

Upon reading your completed form, I was happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us in Addis Ababa. Thank you for your kind words on team members.

Thank you once aging for your positive feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Adds Ababa.

Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

This hotel is old, not very clean and the carpets are very dirty. the food is not good at all. Wi fi doesnt work. paid extra for the executive suite, which is EXACTLY the same if not worse than some of the other rooms - complete rip off. hope never to stay here again.....

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear yolanderrose, Let me start by thanking you for your evaluation of our hotel on Trip Advisor, direct guest feedback like yours an important tool to gage our performance, allowing us to monitor and focus on you needs as a guest in our hotel.

Upon reading your review, I was sorry to learn that we were not able to fully satisfy you. I’m sorry for any inconvenience this has brought you.

The hotel has since the opening in 1969 gone through several refurbishment cycles, and we’re currently working with the owners on the plan for another Master renovation to address issues of aged facilities. With that said we’re constantly working to keep areas of the hotel updated and has this year changed all our guest room beds, televisions and guest linens, and we’ve just this week upgraded our internet infrastructure allowing us to offer complimentary wireless internet throughout the hotel.

I’m aware that your opinion of our service has been affected by the handling of your concerns and do hope that in time, you may reconsider your position and choose to stay with us in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Addis Ababa hotels