“Friendly staff, decent room and food”
Review of Hilton Addis Ababa

Hilton Addis Ababa
Ranked #12 of 118 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
“Friendly staff, decent room and food”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I was here for a one-night transfer. The check-in process is long, and if there are only two or three people in line ahead of you, prepare to wait for 15 minutes. (I think that's just an African reality--lines don't move.) I ordered room service, opting for the Ethiopian dishes. The savory dishes were tasty, though the dessert wasn't great. The food arrived in a timely fashion. There isn't wifi, but the wired connection was fine. I doubt you'll hate your stay here. (On a separate note: if you're just transiting Addis, get a tourist visa at your local Ethiopian embassy/consulate if at all possible. I had such a visa, so when I got to the airport, I could go straight to customs and not have to stand in the impossibly long line (attended by just one airport employee) of people getting transit visas. I can't imagine how much long people waited there, but it was a madhouse, and people were furious.)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

1 Thank Charles H
Gaarder-Larsen, General Manager at Hilton Addis Ababa, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Charles H, Thank you for sharing your experiences from Hilton Addis Ababa with the TripAdvisor community. Direct guest feedback like yours is a valuable tool to gage our performance, allowing us to monitor and further enhance our services by focusing on your needs as a guest in the hotel.

Thank you for your kind note on our friendly staff and for sharing your tip on obtaining an visa prior to arrival with the wider TripAdvisor community. Upon reading the rest your review I was happy to learn that you enjoyed our services. With regards to internet I’m happy to inform you that we’re currently working on an upgrade of our infrastructure that will allow for WIFI coverage of all guestrooms and public areas, this will be completed before the end of the year.

Thank you once aging for your positive feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Adds Ababa.

Haakon Gaarder-Larsen, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

This Addis Hilton is simply magnificent. From the approach through its secure and landscaped gate to the front door and beyond. It is a beautiful accommodation that caters to a traveler's every want and need! The food is delicious and plentiful. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The staff is friendly and courteous. No complaints just a good time to be had.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear PinkSandr, Thank you for taking time to share your experiences from Hilton Addis Ababa with the TripAdvisor community.

Upon reading your review I was happy to learn that you felt good with our services and facilities. I’ve taken the liberty of sharing your comments with my management team and will also share them with our team members in our next monthly team member forum.

Somerset West, South Africa
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stay at this hotel through necessity every 6 weeks in transit. I have been doing this for 3 1/2 years and it's like "Ground Hog" day!

Nothing seems to change. I saw this place on the movie "Shaft in Africa" which was screened in the early 1970's and walking into reception transports you back to those days, the dreary decor and decoration is just the same.

I must admit, the people of Ethiopia are some of the most friendly and accommodating people in Africa, but the staff are the only highlight of this outdated hotel.

After a very pleasant check in experience I am afraid that it is all down hill!
I have had too many bad experiences over the last few years to recant, whether they be in the restaurant, bar or room but just an example of my last stay goes like this.

After check in I took the lift to my room, first thing the room was hot. I put the AC on, only to find that it was a choice of, hot or bloody freezing! the thermostat control was broken, as was the fan setting!

So, head to the mini bar for a cold drink, no! there was no key. Now try to call reception, more chance of calling up the dead! Instructions a plenty on how to call Timbuctu or Tipperary but reception, Hmmm!
Eventually after going through the laundry number 5 times including cut offs I finally got reception. Asked for a bar key and promised "yes sir, right away"!
20 minutes later nothing. Called again and told the same story, finally arrived 45 minutes after first request.

So, lets try the internet. Guess what? no WIFI. Only Lan connection and then find out that in a $250 per night hotel no free internet!!!!!

After 45 minutes of TV it's time for bed, ha ha! sleeping on broken rocks at the sea side would be better, bed is wider than long but also seems like the mattress is made out on industrial grade concrete. Well thankfully 6 hours later it was time to check out and head to the airport on the hotel "courtesy" bus which by the way costs $20 each way!!!

So, on my way home, but hey! I will be back again in 6 weeks. Who knows, it might be better next time????

Room Tip: Try another hotel if you have a choice.
1 Thank BigGReview
Dear BigGReview, Let me start by thanking you for your evaluation of our hotel on Trip Advisor, direct guest feedback like yours an important tool to gage our performance, allowing us to monitor and focus on you needs as a guest in our hotel. Your constructive comments are very much appreciated and are extremely valuable for us to improve our services in the future.

Upon reading your comment I was sorry to learn that you feel our hotel is outdated, and that we were not able to deliver you with a thru reflection of Ethiopian hospitality. The hotel has since the opening in 1969 gone through several refurbishment cycles, and I’m happy to inform you that we’re currently working with the owners on the plan for another complete renovation to address issues of aged facilities and other addressed issued. With that said we’re constantly working to keep areas of the hotel updated and has this year changed all our guest room beds, televisions and guest linens, we’re also currently in the process of upgrading our internet infrastructure and recreation facilities.

I’ve taken the liberty of sharing your comments with my entire management team.

Thank you once aging for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Adds Ababa.

Travelers are raving about these Addis Ababa hotels

Dakar, Senegal
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The Hilton is a good reputable Hotel. I am happy with my stay there and the service is excellent. I have come to know the staff there since I am there at least once in three months. They are very friendly and very helpful

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

1 Thank Ntebele M
Gaarder-Larsen, General Manager at Hilton Addis Ababa, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Ntebele M,

I would like to thank you for your appreciation for services delivered, and our amazing staff.

Thank you once aging for your feedback and I do hope that in time, you may reconsider your position and choose to stay with us again in the near future. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Adds Ababa.

Durban, South Africa
Reviewed August 25, 2013

The Hilton Hotel in Addis Ababa, is a bit dated. the rooms are clean but the bathrooms are in need of a modern refresh. I find that the facilities in general where good to average. However I need to comment on the impact of the noise pollution, which is in need of need some attention, in particular traffic and city noises. At this price range I would expect more, including some way at all of adding cream power or milk to my morning room coffee, out of stock is not satisfactory. The overall perception is that everything works and is clean , but dated. I have enjoyed a higher standard at a competitive brand nearby.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Gaarder-Larsen, General Manager at Hilton Addis Ababa, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Gregor D, Thank you for taking time to share your experiences from Hilton Addis Ababa with the TripAdvisor community. Direct guest feedback like yours is a valuable tool to gage our performance, allowing us to monitor and further enhance our services by focusing on your needs as a guest in the hotel.

Upon reading your comment I was sorry to learn that you feel as our hotel a bit dated. The hotel has since the opening in 1969 gone through several refurbishment cycles, and

I’ve taken note of your comments and is happy to inform you that we’re currently working with the owners on a plan for a complete renovation of the hotel that will address issues of aged facilities. With that said we’re constantly working to keep areas of the hotel updated and has this year changed all our guest room beds, televisions and guest linens, we’re also currently in the process of upgrading our guest internet facilities. Regarding the supply of cream or milk powder in your room, I’m sorry we weren’t able to supply you with this, I’ve requested my F&B Manager to secure that we moving forward import sufficient quantities to prevent similar incident for other guests in the hotel.

Addi Ababa, Ethiopia
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stay was expensive, and for anything other than room was pay,pay,pay. No recognition of membersip Driver demanded a tip to hotel from airport, and was very surly on return next day Someone entered room during night Front reception was decidedly unfrienldy and more so towards others trying to book in.

1 Thank John E
Gaarder-Larsen, General Manager at Hilton Addis Ababa, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear John E, Thank you for taking time to share your experiences from Hilton Addis Ababa with the TripAdvisor community. Direct guest feedback like yours is a valuable tool to gage our performance, allowing us to monitor and further enhance our services by focusing on your needs as a guest in the hotel. I’m sorry for any dissatisfaction you faced during your stay. I’ve taken note of your comments regarding the check-in process and transfer from and to the airport. I’ve further taken the liberty of sharing your comments with my entire management team.

Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The hotel is centrally located. Age-wise it has a lot to be desired, clearing showing its wrinckles and scars. The room is fairly large with a nice bed. The bahroom is charmingly "dated" with separate disposal for razor blades (went out of fashion about +20 years ago).
On the bright side, the employees are service oriented and helpful. Breakfast is plentyful and OK overall. For dinner I had a great local duck breast that was perfectly cooked.
Wifi is free via cable in the room and works OK for email, but no skype or browsing possible as its too slow.
The hotel provides a free transfer to/from the hotel which works fine.

Room Tip: Get a room that has internet cable access
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank bulgenes
Gaarder-Larsen, General Manager at Hilton Addis Ababa, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear Bulgenes, thank you for your evaluation of our hotel on Trip Advisor, direct guest feedback is an important tool to gage our performance, allowing us to monitor and focus on you needs as a guest in our hotel. Your constructive comments are very much appreciated and are extremely valuable for us to improve our services in the future.

I am happy to inform you that we’re currently working with the owners on the plan for a complete renovation of the hotel to address issues of aged facilities. With that said we’re constantly working to keep areas of the hotel updated and has this year changed all our guest room beds, televisions and guest linens, we’re also currently in the process of upgrading our recreation facilities.

I would like to thank you for your appreciated areas of breakfast and employees service.
Hilton Addis Ababa invests considerable resources in the training of our staff and we pride ourselves on our high level of service. I’ve taken the liberty of sharing your comments with my entire management team. With regard to internet, I’m happy to inform you that we’re in progress of updating our infrastructure and will once this is completed offer wireless internet throughout the hotel.

Med vennlig hilsen,