“Yes it's a Hilton but it can get better” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Addis Ababa

Hilton Addis Ababa
Ranked #11 of 118 Hotels in Addis Ababa
“Yes it's a Hilton but it can get better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

It was my first visit to Ethiopia , my friend and I found an online offer for the executive floor with duplex room , exclusive check in and out at the same floor -12th- , there is a happy hour at the exclusive lounge which is actually two hours with a decent bar and food 7-9pm , I liked it so much .
The staff was excellent , although one of the staff asked me for my Buddha bar bracelet and I had to give it to her , totally unprofessional .
There a lot to see within the hotel amenities.
The price was accepted especially if you compared it to the other option you have ie Sheraton .
Good maintenance done but you can tell its an old building .
Location of the hotel is on the middle if the city , safe and quite .
I guess I was influenced by the whole lovely time I had in Addis Ababa so the hotel was lovely for me , but it can get better .

• Stayed April 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Rhys O, Guest Relations at Hilton Addis Ababa, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Greetings from Hilton Addis Ababa!

Thank you for taking your valuable time to share with us your feedback and the experience of your stay. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the services and ambiance were to your liking. We apologize for any dissatisfaction you faced during your stay and I have passed on your comments to the relevant department heads for their action. I have also passed on your incident with the team member to the correct department for investigation - this is not something we condone from our team members.

To answer your comments regarding the condition, the hotel has been scheduled for major refurbishment for a while now and the plans are soon to be finalized, we realize that this has been a long drawn out affair and again we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused but we are seeing very positive steps being taken for this process to begin especially with the arrival of our new Hilton Serenity Beds and Flat screen TV's.

Thank you again for staying at Hilton Addis Ababa and we hope to be welcoming you back again in the future.

Director of Business Development

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Yankton, South Dakota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I rate this hotel as average based on it's location. It is by no means your average Hilton so don't expect that!

Ethiopian airlines placed me at this hotel because I had a long layover. I was eyeing another hotel before I arrived but figured I'd take the free room instead. I won't make that mistake again.

I was comforted when I arrived at the hotel as the lobby and grounds are modern and well maintained but that ends when you get to your room. Old broken chair, lumpy bed and no air circulation. The floor was breaking apart under my feet. I asked for a fan and was brought one but it appears the safety guard was missing so the fan blades were completely exposed. It was nice they brought the fan but I placed it on the other side of the room as I didn't want to injure myself on the spinning metal blades if I bumped it while sleeping.

Also don't bother with the food. It's really gross!! I know it's not the culinary center of the world but it was honestly not edible.

Next time I will pay out of my own pocket for somewhere more comfortable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Greetings from Hilton Addis Ababa!

Thank you for taking your valuable time to share with us your feedback and the experience of your stay. We apologize for any dissatisfaction you faced with your stay and I have passed on all your comments to the relavent departments for action.

Lapua, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

Addis Hilton has pretty good location and it is not very close to main streets. I had room at the top 12th Executive floor with a view to not so nice part of Addis. The pool side rooms have nicer view which is good especially at the lower floors. Hotel itself is a bit worn out but staff is polite and services worked just fine for me. Shops, bank, Ethiopian Airlines office, gym, massage club, bars & restaurants inside and poolside make the hotel much nicer in Addis like place. Price wise Addis Hilton offers pretty good choice as it is not charging as much as some other similar type hotels.

Room Tip: Poolside and higher floors are nicer and quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Rhys O, Guest Relations at Hilton Addis Ababa, responded to this review, March 14, 2013

Louisville, Kentucky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

I grew up going to the Hilton in Addis, and back in the 80's it was great. Now it is overpriced, and has not been updated since the 80's. The hotel staff is nice, but came to our room 5 times over the span of 24 hours. The cleaning service knocked on our door for cleaning at 8 AM!! They also charge you for internet access, when hotels in Addis at half the cost give it to you for free.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SpatulaSim
Greetings from Hilton Addis Ababa!

Thank you for taking your valuable time to share with us your feedback and the experience of your stay. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during your stay and we have passed on your comments to the relevant departments.

Travelers are raving about these Addis Ababa hotels

Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We have been coming to the Hilton since 2004 and absolutely love the ambience ,the location ,the gardens , the swimming pool and the lively atmosphere nightly in the bar.
The rooms are large but as you know are past their due date especially the bathrooms. The wifi charge is outrageous . Rhys.O you keep telling us that refurbishment is on the way...but when? Would like to see it started.
In general the staff are old friends and the service is great with the exception of the patio staff who could could not seem to care whether we were served or not.
However even with this ....we'll be back

Room Tip: Definitely a pool view and a corner room if possible as they are even bigger. The best actually is...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Greetings from Hilton Addis Ababa!

Thank you for taking your valuable time to share with us your feedback and the experience of your stay. We are very happy that you enjoy staying with us and that you are a return guest and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

As for your inquiry regarding rennovation, the process of renovating a historic property like this is a lengthy one and I assure you we are doing everything we can to expediate the situation. There is no confirmed date as of yet for any work to start but it is in the pipeline.

Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

I just finished 2 visits to the Addis Hilton. The airport shuttle, both to and from, was very helpful. Both of my rooms were clean, spacious - a bit dated - but there was some charm to that. The pool and fitness center were excellent, and I had a fantastic massage at the spa (45 minutes for $US30!) Breakfast was very good, and the Pizza at the upstairs restaurant superb. Staff was helpful and pleasant.

Why not five stars? The Wifi! First off, there is no wifi in the guestrooms unless you are in the HHonors floors. Then, if you do want to use it in the lobby, its B330, which is about $18 a day! Outrageous! Come on guys, get with the times. I know you're in the midst of remodeling - I hope you fix the internet and either provide it gratis (since you do tack on a 10% service charge) or significantly lower the cost. While I like the hotel, the internet situation will make me look at other options next time I'm in Addis.

Room Tip: request a pool view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rhys O, Guest relations at Hilton Addis Ababa, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Greetings from Hilton Addis Ababa!

We all also apologize for your dissatisfaction with the internet provided at the hotel. Your comment has been shared with the relevant departments.

Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel certainly comes out tops in terms of hospitality, and regarding staff genuinely caring for their guests. I was impressed by the helpfulness and attentiveness of all staff when I suffered an accident during my recent stay, who all were extremely supportive and emphatic. When I needed to extend my stay, they even maintained the discounted rate for the additional nights, despite the fact that the current rate was significantly higher. This is the time when a hotel can really prove how committed they really are towards their guests' well-being, and the Hilton performed excellently. - Apart from the wonderful hospitality, the hotel radiates a good atmosphere, with a very good restaurant and a lovely terrace next to the pool area. I stayed on the executive floor and appreciated the large and comfortable bed, and an environment where everything works (including the very fast and reliable internet). The Hilton might not be the most modern hotel, but it always feels somewhat like coming home when visiting it. I'll be back soon!

Room Tip: The executive rooms on the executive (11th) floor are very nice, particularly those facing the pool...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rhys O, Guest Relations at Hilton Addis Ababa, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Greetings from Hilton Addis Ababa!

Thank you for taking your valuable time to share with us your feedback and the experience of your stay. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the services and ambiance were to your liking. We all hope that you are now feeling much better after your accident. I will also pass on your comments regarding the hotel and service to the team.