“Sloppy”
Review of Churchill Hotel

Churchill Hotel
Ranked #96 of 120 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed one night in Churchill Hotel because of its location, close to where I had my business. The staff (reception and restaurant) were very nice and helpful, but other things in the hotel were rather strange.
When I came to my room late at night and opened the refrigerator/minibar there was absolutely nothing in it. Not even a bottle of water. No drinking water anywhere in the room. The bed lamp was unusable because it could not be plugged into the socket (different models: American lamp, British socket?). The wifi was terrible. And in the shower they had this monstrous contraption that squirts water in all directions (which I have seen in other Ethiopian hotels as well).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank LarsEriksson
There are newer reviews for Churchill Hotel

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I paid up to the US Government limit for a room for 2 nights at Churchill. They put me in a large, comfortable room. The only drawback was the loud noise and traffic from the street--it prevented me from sleeping. Otherwise, the internet connection was reliable and fast; food was decent and staff were pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lisa R
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Staff could not be more helpful and friendly, beds good quality, shower with hot water (I did not use the bath). The breakfast is rather ordinary and the food in the restaurant is fine but not a gastronomic experience. Wi-fi works fine although sometimes drops for a short while. The hotel is near a number of religious establishments and you will be woken by the dawn prayer followed some time later by the rather longer Orthodox service (I was there in Holy Week, may not be so lengthy a service otherwise). If that bothers you, suggest visiting another country instead as I have never stayed anywhere in Ethiopia where you could not hear similar.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank spepmed
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We were accidental guests at this hotel. Our morning flight from Bahir Dar to Lalibela was canceled, so Ethiopian Airlines flew us to Addis the previous evening, booked us into the Churchill, and then flew us to Lalibela in the morning.

We arrived at the Churchill in their van late in the evening, with other "refugees," and were greeted warmly by the receptionist, who told us the restaurant was still open. We had a delicious buffet meal, then retired to our very large rooms for the night. The bed was comfortable, and everything worked. We had to arise very early for our flight, so it was a too-short night's sleep, but the dining room was open and serving a full buffet breakfast.

My experience of the Churchill was all positive, and I would recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank HarveyL759
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed in this hotel during our overnight transit at Addis Ababa when we missed our connecting flight and had to spend a day in Addis Ababa. The airline had provided us this hotel and the room turned our to be quite spacious with an extra bed for our kid. It also had a separate sitting area though not quite a suite. We had a bathroom with a view offering a splendid view of the high rise buildings risings amidst slum like dwellings, symbolizing the developing Addis. Wifi connection was free but was very flaky. Though their business centre was also free to use. The buffet spread was underwhelming and the restaurant also didn't appeal us much. We also hired a 2 hour city tour from the hotel along with other hotels guests which turned out to be quite a damp squib. For example, instead of showing the promised Central Open Market, the guide took us to a Supermarket and said this is the biggest market! And this was just one of the gaffes. An entirely forgettable tour. And they charged us 100USD per person for this tour. But overall the hotel itself was a pleasant stay but restaurant needs a bit more polish.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank gags9999
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Hotels in and out of America, but I can say that I truthfully didn't expect the great service that I had received at this hotel. American hotels can learn alot form the service that Churchill has offered. I was a lil uncomfortable with one of the rooms due to one of the renters next door, so I complained to management. Without hesitation, he gave me and my wife a suite, due to the fact that he stated, "you treat my people with respect". I stated to him "we are all people" and he smiled. Definitely we will revisit our new friends soon for 2013.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank et9bk
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Room not ready at checkin (8 am) although booked.
Room looks ok as per size. Half the lights did not work. Bed was comfortable (makes a change to Addis hardboard beds). Shower was in the wrong place of the bath & so had to be hand held. Not enough towels (ie only one). Soap microscopic & liquid soap out of reach !
Breakfast below standard - minimal. Wifi ok allround. Price was $120 for Addis + 3% credit card that they hot you with at the checkout ... was worth maybe $70 by Addis standards.
Shuttle to airport was very late in turning up - with staff indifferent to the urgency.
This is an owner operated hotel ... ie no professional management.
But ,,.,.; had an excellent massage at the spa on basement ....

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business